Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 09-27-2008, 11:12 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Weekly Check In Sept 28 - Oct 4, 2008

Hi Everyone..Its been raining bucket here the past couple of days, and tomorrow we will get brushed with the remnants of Hurricane Kyle..Probably another day of soaking rain and wind

I really over did it this week..I went clamming 4 days in a row, and paid for it yesterday and today, although I do feel much better today..A classic case of the mind saying yes, and the body saying no..A trip to the Chiropractor yesterday afternoon helped tremendously..They put some gadget on my back that tingles, and it works like magic..I walked out of there like I had the wind behind me

I am in the process of planning a trip out to Washington to meet Harley and go to the Hope Conference..I am really excited about it, and looking foward to it!!..Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you other people on the forum there, as well as see some of you again that I met at the WPC a couple of years ago..Only thing is..Ive never flown before..I took Amtrak to the WPC..I know..Im such a wimp, but Ive got this thing about heights..Ive braved the seas from Georges Bank to the north, and south to the Outer Banks of North Carolina without ever giving it a second thought..But the thought of flying is a phobia of mine..I guess theres only one way to get over it, is to do it..It would take a month of Sundays to cross the U.S. on Amtrak

advertisement
Old 09-28-2008, 12:30 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Fear of flying....

I've lost my post twice now. so heres the jist of it... get a tranqualizer from your Dr.
Clonazepam will do it. Don't overdose or you'll be too groggy to function when you land. its a 5 hour flight.

Good luck!
stevem53 (10-01-2008), vertigo (10-02-2008)
Old 09-28-2008, 09:29 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem53 View Post
Only thing is..Ive never flown before..I took Amtrak to the WPC..I know..Im such a wimp, but Ive got this thing about heights..Ive braved the seas from Georges Bank to the north, and south to the Outer Banks of North Carolina without ever giving it a second thought..But the thought of flying is a phobia of mine..I guess theres only one way to get over it, is to do it..It would take a month of Sundays to cross the U.S. on Amtrak

Joy's suggestion is a good one. I find that I have NO sensation of height when i am flying. I sat on the lip of a hot air balloon basket when it was 3000 feet straight down and never thought anything about it.
It;s interesting to look out the window anyway. WHen I first flew with my kids I got a copy of "Science from your Airplane Window". They were enthralled by what was to be seen out of the window.

GO with the mindset you will enjoy the flights and your time there. I am sure you will do both!!

CHarlie
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
stevem53 (10-01-2008)
Old 09-28-2008, 01:44 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hello

Steve,

Sorry to hear about all of the bad weather you are experiencing. Hopefully things will improve for you sometime soon. We are experiencing a warming trend here...very strange, but I can't complain. I hope that you have a good time at the HOPE Conference.

As for my week, it has been pretty good. I started my new job and worked four evening shifts. I have gotten to know the twenty residents pretty well already. There are a couple that are a little more challenging to care for simply because I am new and they are resistant towards new caregivers. I am just giving it time and I am sure they will come around. It has been a little more challenging physically than I thought it would be. One of my main symptoms of PD is stiffness. My muscles are really getting a workout and as difficult as it is, it does help to loosen things up. The staff for the most part has been wonderful and I am impressed with the quality of care that is provided. There are a couple of staff that aren't being too friendly. Apparently, since I hired on full time they are being moved somewhere else in the facility. They are supplemental employees and administration wants more consistency than their availability allows. I understand the need for the change, but I also understand how these employees feel. It's a catch 22, and I'm the newbie catching all of the attitude. Oh well, I can deal with it.

The hardest part about working has been being away from the kids so much. I basically only see them when I wake them up and get them off to school in the morning, unless it is a weekend or a day that they are off of school. I am so used to always being home for them and it is a really difficult adjustment. They are handling it much better than I am! My husband is doing a great job of taking care of the kids, animals and house when I am at work and I am so grateful for that.

Well, I better get a move on. I have a lot to do today. I hope that you all have a great week!

Evonne
Evonne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
stevem53 (10-01-2008)
Old 09-29-2008, 05:35 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Grin

this week begins in the attack and tackle mode. i am tackling being a mother to 6 infant (about 2 weeks old) kittens as mama was attacked by a coyote and had to be put to sleep. this is giving me challenge, but also purpose.. can i do it? we will see...

I am in launch the granade mode as i am served with seperation papers on sun... (trying to beat out my lawyer).. yet as a husband of ten years cannot remember how to spell his wife's middle name properly, these papers are just reminders of why this is happening...

i tackle a dresser painted with 3 coats of paint to find beautiful solid oak underneath. a definate thumbs up to the energy used for the task.

mother is in surgery right now as the docs remove her grapefruit sized tumor from her uterus, part of the cancer atacking her body. please keep her in prayer.

and.. i atack my home to welcome steve.. coming to visit next month.. (super gigantic smiley face inserted here)....
Old 09-29-2008, 05:44 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem53 View Post
Hi Everyone..Its been raining bucket here the past couple of days, and tomorrow we will get brushed with the remnants of Hurricane Kyle..Probably another day of soaking rain and wind

I really over did it this week..I went clamming 4 days in a row, and paid for it yesterday and today, although I do feel much better today..A classic case of the mind saying yes, and the body saying no..A trip to the Chiropractor yesterday afternoon helped tremendously..They put some gadget on my back that tingles, and it works like magic..I walked out of there like I had the wind behind me

I am in the process of planning a trip out to Washington to meet Harley and go to the Hope Conference..I am really excited about it, and looking foward to it!!..Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you other people on the forum there, as well as see some of you again that I met at the WPC a couple of years ago..Only thing is..Ive never flown before..I took Amtrak to the WPC..I know..Im such a wimp, but Ive got this thing about heights..Ive braved the seas from Georges Bank to the north, and south to the Outer Banks of North Carolina without ever giving it a second thought..But the thought of flying is a phobia of mine..I guess theres only one way to get over it, is to do it..It would take a month of Sundays to cross the U.S. on Amtrak
k... cd player, headset, or laptop that plays movies , aisle seat, journal to make itinerary while here, crossword puzzles, talk to person next to you, talk to yourself, lol. tell the attendent of your phobia.. they understand and will go out of the way to make it more comfortable. some that hate to fly take night flights and sleep. remember your reason for the trip...
stevem53 (10-01-2008)
Old 09-29-2008, 05:47 PM #7
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

will the kitties be old enough to go home with steve?

sending prayers for your mother.

you are one busy lady! i can't wait to hear about steve's visit and the conference.
Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 06:10 PM #8
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hi Steve,

Tell them you have PD if you are given a middle seat and that it will bother the whole row.

I still pray through the entire lift off, but have overcome fear of the rest. The part that took the longest to adjust to was turbulence. But pilots always say planes don't crash from turbulence; it's just that people can get hurt if not in their seatbelts. So try not to freak out over the bumps. After being on a boat so much, turbulence should be easy.

Have fun! It's beautiful out there!
paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
stevem53 (10-01-2008)
Old 09-29-2008, 08:44 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
will the kitties be old enough to go home with steve?

sending prayers for your mother.

you are one busy lady! i can't wait to hear about steve's visit and the conference.
Steve has 3 kitties at home now..Hint hint
Curious (09-30-2008)
Old 09-29-2008, 08:59 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Steve

I predict you're gonna LOVE flying. Since PD I ask for the front row and always get it. more leg room, easier access, closer to the head.

And what a beautiful reason to take flight. I'm excited for you and Harley and wish you both a wonderful visit. Bon voyage!

ibby
Ibken is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
stevem53 (10-01-2008)