Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 04:45 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Smarter than the average bear

I've been missing for awhile - quite awhile - but I know that others, too, come and leave this forum depending upon what all is going on in their lives. When I do come back, I always get a warm fuzzy feeling seeing the names of some good friends who know me.

My life has been a whirlwind that I can't get off. The shortened version: Husband filed for divorce, oldest son got married, one child graduated from college, one to graduate in May, one went back to college, and our last one is a Sophomore in high school. The best thing that ever happened was when my husband filed for divorce. I didn't have what it takes to do it so he actually did me a favor.

I will be writing a book about my experience. It's going to be called "Smarter than the Average Bear" and will be a sci-fi thrilled with a religious bent on it. Don't ask! It WILL happen, of that I'm sure.

Believe it or not, even with the added stress, I was able to LOWER two of my medications. I was taking Mirapex (1.5 mg. 3 times a day and have cut it back to two times a day) I also cut back Artane (2 mg. 3 times a day to two times a day). The Lord is good.

Oh, for those that don't know me, I'm a 48 year old female who was diagnosed at age 43. Believe it or not, during those five years my husband never once accompanied me to a neuro appt. Needless to say, THIS FORUM is what made it all possible to continue without crumbling.

Never be afraid to ask too many questions. Post something daily (or hourly!) if it helps. Only those going through it themselves can really understand.

People will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did,
but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Quoted by: Maya Angelou (Reader's Digest Oct. 2006)
proudest_mama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (10-23-2008)

advertisement
Old 10-23-2008, 08:47 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Terri, welcome back!

Sometimes divorce is really an opportunity to live a fuller and different life.

I know someone online whose husband left her one day for someone else, after 23 years, which left her in shock and dismay. I told her that you never know what's around the corner. She took a job at MacDonalds and a patron was struck by her sunny attitude. They are married now and she's happier than she ever was in her first marriage. She lives on a farm with animals she adores. She never would have imagined such a life, married to her first husband.

I'm also reminded of a lab tech I knew. She worked in a lab far from mine, so I did not know her well. She always looked miserable! One day I spoke with her and she was happy and bright. Turns out she'd been diagosed with multiple sclerosis and she was getting divorced and was thrilled about it. The MS forced her to get her act together and she realized she didn't want to be married to him. Decades later she was doing well, so I hope she still is.

I'm glad you lowered the artane, as it affects short term memory. The lower the better!

~Zucchini
ZucchiniFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:43 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Forgot to say that I'm getting into reading Sci Fi. I just finished Flashfoward by Robert J. Sawyer. It's going to be an ABC series. I enjoyed it, and communicated with the author on his web site.

You can read about half the book at google books:

http://books.google.com/books?id=wOf...sawyer#PPA9,M1
ZucchiniFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:26 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Glad to see you're back!
ScottSuff
ScottSuff is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:30 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

terri,

welcome back..

i know exactly where you are comin from and the difficulty of transition can bring your stress level through the roof at times. i am also going through a divorce after 10 years of no support as well as emotional, mental.. and finally physical abuse. believe me.. as the clock ticks, each moment without the stress of having him around makes the stress of the divorce more viable.

you will begin discovering who you are again. you will find empowerment with each step you take towards independency. you will rekindle flames of desire towards things that are important to you that had to be snuffed out because it didnt matter.. now, you can be you. and mdear, that makes the divorce so worthwhile.

life is too short to spend it with a person who doesnt care about our needs. the desires we have must be appreciated and respected and we must be able to feel comfortable in sharing them with our partner without feeling they wont be taken seriously. what we live with daily is serious, and we cannot bury our heads in the sand to get away from it. unfortunatly, many times the person we are married to cannot handle the reality of pd, and thats what they end up doing.

each day you will find a little more of who you are, your strength and resolve will begin returning, and less stress will be on your plate. give yourself time. it is the best healer there is.

it is important to have as much support as you can find during this transition. this is a good place to get it..

and never, ever...give up on hope
Old 10-24-2008, 08:44 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Welcome back Terri!..Im really sorry to hear about the struggles you are dealing with..It is alot harder to deal with the stress associated with that kind of stuff when you are dealing with the daily trials of pd as well..When I was going through my divorce, I had some symptoms of pd, but didnt know that I had it..Also different is my emotional capacity was alot stronger back then than it is now..thankfully..Anyway, the best advice I have to offer is to litterally take it one day at a time..alot can change in one day..dont give up on hope, and keep the faith..In my experience, Ive found that what seems to be a bad thing, can turn out to be the very thing that opens the door to something better

My thoughts and prayers go out to you..Looking foward to your contributions to our community
Old 10-24-2008, 12:49 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Sometimes..

the things that look like the end are really just the beginning. I have noted that my life takes a significant turn about every ten years. I am on the cusp of that ten year time frame at the moment, and I see it coming down the tracks like a carefully scheduled train. I believe everything is a learning experience and in the end is for our greater good. As the Bible so often says: and it came to pass. Good luck in your new life. Maybe you'll find a "hot" Parkie to share your life with. More on that later...one day at a time, and first things first.

Hugs Joy
Old 10-25-2008, 11:50 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Terri-
Great to see you back with the group! Sounds like your life is going in a good direction.
I was in Houston a couple of weeks ago and was astounded by the large number of huge trees that yeilded to the winds of Ike. I wondered how the city will handle all of those enormous stumps and roots lying around. Just getting the streets open after the storm had to be a tremendous job.
We only received a few strong wind gusts and a little rain as the storm passed a few miles west of us in Shreveport.
Again, welcome back!
Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote