advertisement

Old 11-15-2008, 10:22 AM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Optic Nerve Pain

This past Thursday, I began having sharp, stabbing pains behind my left eye. That lasted until I finally fell asleep. Friday, I got in to see my ophthalmologist. He couldn't find any tears or anything wrong that he could see. He even checked for open-angle glaucoma, because my pressure has been a little high the past year or so.

He told me that he thought it was nerve pain. He gave me a sample of Xibrom eyedrops which he said may help, but they didn't do a thing for me.

If I still have the pain Monday, I'm going to call my neuro's office to see if I can get an appointment. I have an appt with my eye doctor next Friday, but the pain is bad and I want to see if I can get some help sooner that that.

I suspect that a lot of people on this board have had this problem before. If so, who did you see for it and were they able to help you?

It should be noted that I cried in the exam room almost constantly. My MS has been going downhill. I have insomnia and head tremors, and now with this eye pain it has all swirled around me until I feel like I could fly apart.

Also, while the doctor was doing the exam, the nurse had to stand behind me and hold my head still and up against the chin/forehead rest. I was crying, my nose was running, and I honestly felt like screaming. I can't stand for someone to hold my head, but it was necessary because my head shakes. Both the doctor and his nurse were very nice, but it was an awful experience for me.

azoyizes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (11-15-2008)

advertisement
Old 11-15-2008, 10:34 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoyizes View Post
This past Thursday, I began having sharp, stabbing pains behind my left eye. That lasted until I finally fell asleep. Friday, I got in to see my ophthalmologist. He couldn't find any tears or anything wrong that he could see. He even checked for open-angle glaucoma, because my pressure has been a little high the past year or so.

He told me that he thought it was nerve pain. He gave me a sample of Xibrom eyedrops which he said may help, but they didn't do a thing for me.

If I still have the pain Monday, I'm going to call my neuro's office to see if I can get an appointment. I have an appt with my eye doctor next Friday, but the pain is bad and I want to see if I can get some help sooner that that.

I suspect that a lot of people on this board have had this problem before. If so, who did you see for it and were they able to help you?

It should be noted that I cried in the exam room almost constantly. My MS has been going downhill. I have insomnia and head tremors, and now with this eye pain it has all swirled around me until I feel like I could fly apart.

Also, while the doctor was doing the exam, the nurse had to stand behind me and hold my head still and up against the chin/forehead rest. I was crying, my nose was running, and I honestly felt like screaming. I can't stand for someone to hold my head, but it was necessary because my head shakes. Both the doctor and his nurse were very nice, but it was an awful experience for me.

I feel for you but unfornutely there is nothing they can do its optic neuritis.
Major symptoms are sudden loss of vision (partial or complete), or sudden blurred or "foggy" vision, and pain on movement of the affected eye. Many patients with optic neuritis may lose some of their color vision in the affected eye, with colors appearing subtly washed out compared to the other eye. A study found that 92.2% of patients experienced pain, which actually preceded the visual loss in 39.5% of cases. I have these pains as well they are horrible but I have had steroids for them before because I lost vision as well it didn't really help. I hope the pain will go away for you and hopefully you don't lose vision as well like me. I am unfornutely unable to drive because of the visual loss and problems with glare but the pains are very excruciating and sometimes bring me to tears.Lots of hugs
coletaterbug is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
azoyizes (11-15-2008)
Old 11-15-2008, 12:24 PM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Thanks, coletaterbug. You are right, colors are more muted when I look out of my left eye. I noticed that yesterday at the Dr's office. I'm so sorry for your vision loss. Take care.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:09 PM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Have you tried steroids for the ON? Lots of peeps say it works well for that.

Feel better soon..

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
azoyizes (11-15-2008)
Old 11-15-2008, 02:37 PM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Thanks, Sally. When I call my neuro's office Monday, I'll ask about IV steroids. If there's even a small chance that steroids will make the pain go away, I'll be willing to beg for them.

This is the second time within 30 days that I've had this type of pain. The first time it went away in about a week, but it was nothing compared to this.

Think I'll get a bottle of wine so I can at least mellow out.

"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (11-15-2008)
Old 11-15-2008, 02:45 PM #6
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I haven't had too many eye problems, except that my sight in my left eye always goes wonky when I over-heat, and I get those sudden pin-prick pains in my eyes occasionally. I've never had them on hourly or daily basis though, and imagine that would be very difficult.

Some people feel that IV steroids have helped, but oral steroids are definitely not recommended for ON.

How long have you had MS, and are you SPMS, azoyizes? Just wondering because you seem to have been left with some very debilitating and ongoing symptoms to contend with on a regular basis. Also, do you have confirmation of brain lesions, or (just) spinal lesions and ON?

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
azoyizes (11-15-2008)
Old 11-15-2008, 04:51 PM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
I haven't had too many eye problems, except that my sight in my left eye always goes wonky when I over-heat, and I get those sudden pin-prick pains in my eyes occasionally. I've never had them on hourly or daily basis though, and imagine that would be very difficult.

Some people feel that IV steroids have helped, but oral steroids are definitely not recommended for ON.

How long have you had MS, and are you SPMS, azoyizes? Just wondering because you seem to have been left with some very debilitating and ongoing symptoms to contend with on a regular basis. Also, do you have confirmation of brain lesions, or (just) spinal lesions and ON?

Cherie
Cherie, I was diagnosed nearly 20 years ago. At my last appointment, my neuro told me that I was borderline SPMS. I have brain lesions, no spinal lesions, and this is the second time I've had left eye pain. My opthalmologist said he believes it is "optic nerve pain", and I didn't have the presence of mind to ask if that was optic neuritis. Hopefully, my neuro will tell me more Monday.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:02 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Frown Optic nerve pain

I do not have MS - I have MG, but I have also noticed a lot of optic nerve pain recently, and my eye pressure has gone up 10 points since I started on roids' 7 months ago.

My left eye goes "wonky" as well when I am tired or am overheated and wonder why it does that........any ideas?

My "triggers" are the same as my friend with MS - in fact, we were laughing about it the other night after drinking a little bit.....

I have blurred vision as well and my left eye goes waaaaaaaaay off balance - for me, that is a sign that I have to go back to the hospital for more IV IG or plasmaphoresis.........

Anyway, does anyone know what causes the eye pain and wonky eye? I cannot figure it out and it is making me miserable!!!!

Thank you!
ErinHermes
"Thanks for this!" says:
azoyizes (11-16-2008)
Old 11-16-2008, 11:27 AM #9
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

ErinH: I guess what's causing my eye pain is that I'm in an MS exacerbation.

When I woke up this morning (after sleeping for eight wonderful hours, the first time since early October ), my eye pain was much improved. It's gone from a 10 to a 2. What a relief!

"Thanks for this!" says:
Desinie (11-17-2008), SallyC (11-16-2008)