Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 11-15-2008, 07:39 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default MRI results

My doctor is pretty much telling there is nothing wrong with me and doesn't know why i'm in so much pain. can somebody please give me a little more info on my MRI because I don't believe him.

L1-2 There is disc space height narrowing with degenerative and/or desiccated disc. There is a moderate left paramedian disc herniation. The central spinal canal and neural foramina are adequately patent at this level. The facet joints are unremarkable.
L2-3: the disk is unremarkable. The central spinal canal and the neural foramina are adequately patent at this level. The facet joints are unremarkable.
L3-4: There is a degenerative and/or desiccated disc. There is a mild, diffuse, circumferential disc bulge. The central spinal canaal and the neuroforamina are adequately patent. The facet joints are unremarkable.
L4-5: There is a degenerative and/or desiccated disc. There is a moderate, diffuse, circumferential disc bulge. rest is same as above
L5-S1: There is a degenerative and/or desiccated disc. There is a moderate, diffuse, circumferential disc bulge. There are moderate posterior element degenerative changes.same as above

Except for L2-L3, all of the discs are degenerative and/or desiccated.
Ladybass101 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-17-2008, 06:27 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Thumbs up Hi basslady~

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]You have what is called Degenerative Disc Disease OR (DDD).Unless you have other symptoms they probably won't do anything. Yes, it is painful I have had 7 back surgeries and I still have it. Your disc's are drying out. Mine look like dried up spools. Not much you can do about that. Thats what desiccated means. I am sending a link you can look up and read. Be sure to read all of them it points to.[SIZE][FONT]
http://www.spine-health.com/conditio...ve-disc-diease In Search type in "Degenerative Disc Diease" & drop down to Lumbar Degenerative Diease. I think this will help you!
Fancylady

She who hides nothing, has nothing to hide~
Fancylady_2006 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (11-17-2008)
Old 11-17-2008, 07:45 PM #3
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I'm thinking you need another drs opinion.
Take your report and films to have them looked at by another dr, as well as a list of your symptoms and pain levels.
Maybe your dr is not very familiar with new or current treatments.

my dad has a TENS for at home & PT sessions.
the PT place he goes to lets you join for use of gym & equipment after your rx'd sessions are done @$25 a month.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:16 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default mri question

My girlfriend had an mri done on her spinal cord and her doctor told her that she had athritis, she is in studying medicine to become a nurse and she believes that this is the wrong diagnosis and her doctor is sending her for a second opinion day to a neuro sergeon. The doctor did tell her that there were black spots that showed up on her spine in the MRI and I believe that is why he is sending her to the neuro surgeon. Just wondering if there is anyone that has had this results and an answer for this. Any ideas are welcome. Please feel free to leave suggestions if there are any. Thanks guys.
jg884x is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:02 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

since all the foramen are "adequately patent" i would wonder if this pain is chemical in cuase and not mechanical......unfortunately i dont have any suggestions for the pain.....and i would get a second opinion
pabb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:32 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybass101 View Post
My doctor is pretty much telling there is nothing wrong with me and doesn't know why i'm in so much pain. can somebody please give me a little more info on my MRI because I don't believe him.

L1-2 There is disc space height narrowing with degenerative and/or desiccated disc. There is a moderate left paramedian disc herniation. The central spinal canal and neural foramina are adequately patent at this level. The facet joints are unremarkable.
L2-3: the disk is unremarkable. The central spinal canal and the neural foramina are adequately patent at this level. The facet joints are unremarkable.
L3-4: There is a degenerative and/or desiccated disc. There is a mild, diffuse, circumferential disc bulge. The central spinal canaal and the neuroforamina are adequately patent. The facet joints are unremarkable.
L4-5: There is a degenerative and/or desiccated disc. There is a moderate, diffuse, circumferential disc bulge. rest is same as above
L5-S1: There is a degenerative and/or desiccated disc. There is a moderate, diffuse, circumferential disc bulge. There are moderate posterior element degenerative changes.same as above

Except for L2-L3, all of the discs are degenerative and/or desiccated.
What your doc meant to say is that there is nothing profoundly unusual about your MRI findings. You can take a person with absolutely no pain whatsoever, and their MRI might show all kinds of findings including multiple disc bulges, foraminal stenosis, canal stenosis, etc. It's just the radiologist doing his job. I often see patients with an impressive finding at one nerve root but with symptoms in a totally different place. Pain is so complex, more often than not, we don't know why a patient has it. Pain management is a really imperfect field unfortunately. But I certainly wouldn't do an intervention based on this beautiful MRI.
paindrw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:54 AM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

ok first of all this doctor does not know what he is talking about. I suggest you go and see a chiropractor as long as you do not have any broken discs they can help you. You have disc herniation and yes if one of your discs is narrowing that means there probably is a problem with your spine and it is painful. Did you also try changing your bed
esraatay is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:28 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paindrw View Post
What your doc meant to say is that there is nothing profoundly unusual about your MRI findings. You can take a person with absolutely no pain whatsoever, and their MRI might show all kinds of findings including multiple disc bulges, foraminal stenosis, canal stenosis, etc. It's just the radiologist doing his job. I often see patients with an impressive finding at one nerve root but with symptoms in a totally different place. Pain is so complex, more often than not, we don't know why a patient has it. Pain management is a really imperfect field unfortunately. But I certainly wouldn't do an intervention based on this beautiful MRI.
Wouldn't consider an L5-S1 diagnostic facet or medial branch block if clinically indicated?
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:31 PM #9
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

This is an fairly old thread - you may have not noticed the dates.

paindrw - Last Activity: 12-04-2008 02:40 PM
Old 03-02-2011, 05:48 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
This is an fairly old thread - you may have not noticed the dates.

paindrw - Last Activity: 12-04-2008 02:40 PM
Details....!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote