Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Alzheimer's, Parkinson's Diseases Could Be Halted By Protecting Neuron

Alzheimer's, Parkinson's Diseases Could Be Halted By Protecting Neurons

16 Nov 2008
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/129412.php

Researchers at Southern Methodist University (SMU) and The University of Texas at Dallas (UTD) have identified a group of chemical compounds that slow the degeneration of neurons, a condition behind old-age diseases like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).

Their findings are featured in the November 2008 edition of Experimental Biology and Medicine. SMU Chemistry Professor Edward R. Biehl and UTD Biology Professor Santosh D'Mello teamed to test 45 chemical compounds. Four were found to be the most potent protectors of neurons, the cells that are core components of the human brain, spinal cord and peripheral nerves.

The most common cause of neurodegenerative disease is aging. Current medications only alleviate the symptoms but do not affect the underlying cause - degeneration of neurons. The identification of compounds that inhibit neuronal death is of urgent and critical importance.

READ full article
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default sure... but

Of course something that protects our neurons would be great. But what are their models for testing? CEP-1347 protected neurons in rats & monkeys but failed in human trials.

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:51 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Pub Med info

Hi, Below is the Pub Med article on this. Open "Full Text" to read all of paper. It's not easy to understand but it looks like the way to go to stop PD progression.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...?dopt=Abstract
ashleyk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote