Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 11:40 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Tongue Medicines for Chronic Back Pain

I herniated my back twice L5-S1 same disc, same spot. Had the herniated part removed and the second time they moved the nerve also. I have hernited L5-S1 again only in a different spot. I am putting off surgery for now and just doing pain meds. In the past have done nerve blocks, spinal taps ect.. No more of those and no surgery unless it gets unbearable I have been on hydrocodone, oxycodone, flexerill, baclofen, zanaflex. Flexeril, baclofen, and zanaflex make my lower back, hip spazams worse. So they gave me gabapentin 100 mg. for it. I took one. Lol. I don't want to take it cause it says it is for people with seizers and so on. I really don't think I need somethin like that. They gave it to me cause I have problems at night with restlessness and spazams and can't sleep. I have read that this drug has actually kept people awake at night. Also I don't want to have to be on something that you have to take every night. I want to take it when i need it, if ya know what I mean. If anyone has any questions bout the other meds I have been on I would be glad to share.. Thanks... & please respond with any info
ricedougrice is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-18-2008, 12:24 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hello,
Have you tried a TENS unit to help with pain relief?

http://www.tens-info.co.uk/
http://www.drugs.com/cg/how-to-use-a-tens-unit.html
Old 11-28-2008, 01:37 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile

the nurontin/gaperpentin was originally for siezures, but along the way it wa sfound to help with the nerve pain as well as the restlesness of the lower limbs.

i take 3 x 300 mg a day three times a day. believe me it helps. i laso take a 15 mg morphine time release tablet three times a day aswell and percocet for breakthrough pain.

my pain is from my dx of ms and tm and the pain in my back never leaves sometimes worse sometimes less but four out of 7 days im at an 8 on the pain scale.

i would give the neurntin/gaperpentin time. it does make me drowsy as well. but the ms and or tm has a tendency tomake me either a full out insomniac or a full out zombie. there is no inbetween.

wierd huh

good luck.
XISLED is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:51 AM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I take it at night and I'm ok. When we travel I don't take one because it will make me a little loopy the next day. Just try it you will be ok. I'm supposed to take it during the day but I can't get used to it. If I have a painful day where I'm not going anywhere but home I might take one.

“Being my sweethearts full-time care partner, I have to remind myself, when some well-meaning friend or relative questions my methods or motives, that I know more than they do because I Live this life 24/7, and they only come for short visits.” Tamiloo

Gotta love my Olhipie! Dx'd RRMS 1986, SPMS 2004

Watch my Olhipie Skiing....

tamiloo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 04:02 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default neurontin

Neurontin is a nerve membrane stablizer. It works to prevent excess nerve acticity. That works well to prevent seizures but is not limited to that. It also works to reduce firing by irritated pain nerves. (I take 400 mg 3 times a day and it helps me alot). I guess you could say a luck side effect would be that you won't have any seizures.
stormy42 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote