Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 11-20-2008, 01:28 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Virgin Coconut Oil - Omega 3 or Omega 6?

Hello all,
Been reading the recent posts about coconut oil with great interest.
But I am a bit confused about the fatty acid content - the cursory research I've done online is contradictory : some sources (mainly sites selling the oil) say coconut oil contains high levels of omega 3s whereas others say no omega 3s at all - just high levels of omega 6s (wikipedia for example).
The current consensus seems to be high omega 3 is good, too much omega 6 is bad - particularly in relation to neurological conditions, so I'm a bit concerned about launching into a personal trial!
Or am I missing the point?
Cheers,
Toob.
toob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-20-2008, 08:10 AM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default it is confusing, but...

I have only skimmed the surface (potential lipid joke ) of the research up to now, going on the assumption that it won't hurt to try it and if it works I will then look for the negatives. However, it does seem to be something other than the omega 3/6/9 debate at work. It is made up for the most part by four components and at least one of those enhances absorption from the GI tract.

That could mean that our meds are taken up more efficiently but that would't explain why normal folks benefit.

Another, and more interesting, explanation is that it improves thyroid function. My wife (non-PD) started it at the same time as I (about a week). She has always shown signs of thyroid problems, particularly being "cold-natured". Not now,even though it is in the low 20s (F).

Also, she has had to battle depression and anxiety problems all her life and due to my business nightmare it has been acute the last few months. It's like she's a new person - rolling with it and not letting her energy be drained. And speaking of energy, she definitely has more.

All those can be tied to thyroid problems. She may be a more clear example of what is going on beneath the surface for the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toob View Post
Hello all,
Been reading the recent posts about coconut oil with great interest.
But I am a bit confused about the fatty acid content - the cursory research I've done online is contradictory : some sources (mainly sites selling the oil) say coconut oil contains high levels of omega 3s whereas others say no omega 3s at all - just high levels of omega 6s (wikipedia for example).
The current consensus seems to be high omega 3 is good, too much omega 6 is bad - particularly in relation to neurological conditions, so I'm a bit concerned about launching into a personal trial!
Or am I missing the point?
Cheers,
Toob.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:21 AM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default and I just found this...

1: Neurotoxicology. 2007 Sep;28(5):951-6. Epub 2007 May 13.

Effects of manganese on thyroid hormone homeostasis: potential links.

Soldin OP, Aschner M.

Department of Oncology and Medicine, The Center for Study of Sex Differences,
Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA. os35@georgetown.edu

Manganese (Mn) is an essential trace nutrient that is potentially toxic at high
levels of exposure. As a constituent of numerous enzymes and a cofactor,
manganese plays an important role in a number of physiologic processes in
mammals. The manganese-containing enzyme, manganese superoxide dismutase
(Mn-SOD), is the principal antioxidant enzyme which neutralizes the toxic effects
of reactive oxygen species. Other manganese-containing enzymes include
oxidoreductases, transferases, hydrolases, lyases, isomerases, ligases and
glutamine synthetase. Environmental or occupational exposure to high levels of
manganese can cause a neuropathy resembling idiopathic Parkinson's disease,
commonly referred to as manganism. Manganism and Parkinson's disease are both
characterized by motor deficits and damage to nuclei of the basal ganglia,
particularly the substantia nigra, with altered dopamine (and its metabolites)
contributing to these disorders. Dopamine, a major neurotransmitter plays a
crucial role in the modulation of the cognitive function, working memory and/or
attention of the prefrontal cortex and the hippocampus. Dopamine is also a known
inhibitory modulator of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) secretion. The
involvement of dopamine and dopaminergic receptors in neurodevelopment, as well
as TSH modulation, led us to hypothesize that excessive manganese exposure may
lead to adverse neurodevelopmental outcomes due to the disruption of thyroid
homeostasis via the loss of dopaminergic control of TSH regulation of thyroid
hormones. This disruption may alter thyroid hormone levels, resulting in some of
the deficits associated with gestational exposure to manganese. While the effects
of manganese in adult populations are relatively well documented, comprehensive
data on its neurodevelopmental effects are sparse. Given the importance of this
topic, we review the potential participation of thyroid hormone dyshomeostasis in
the neurodevelopmental effects of manganese positing the hypotheses that
manganese may directly or indirectly affect thyroid function by injuring the
thyroid gland or dysregulating dopaminergic modulation of thyroid hormone
synthesis.

PMCID: PMC2067987
PMID: 17576015 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
toob (11-21-2008)
Old 12-22-2008, 03:39 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
I have only skimmed the surface (potential lipid joke ) of the research up to now, going on the assumption that it won't hurt to try it and if it works I will then look for the negatives. However, it does seem to be something other than the omega 3/6/9 debate at work. It is made up for the most part by four components and at least one of those enhances absorption from the GI tract.

That could mean that our meds are taken up more efficiently but that would't explain why normal folks benefit.

Another, and more interesting, explanation is that it improves thyroid function. My wife (non-PD) started it at the same time as I (about a week). She has always shown signs of thyroid problems, particularly being "cold-natured". Not now,even though it is in the low 20s (F).

Also, she has had to battle depression and anxiety problems all her life and due to my business nightmare it has been acute the last few months. It's like she's a new person - rolling with it and not letting her energy be drained. And speaking of energy, she definitely has more.

All those can be tied to thyroid problems. She may be a more clear example of what is going on beneath the surface for the rest of us.
Is there any such thing as a Medical treatment Spa for Parkinson's,....I believe the Philippines may be producing the most virgin coconut oil. Possibly we could book a spa facility for a month.
WilliamD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote