Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 05:14 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Fusion complications

I'm wondering if anyone out the can help me.
Last Thursday (Nov 13) I underwent a 1 level spinal fusion to L5/S1 with a graft taken from my hip. All went well with the operation until the surgeon bumped the retractor holding back my S1 nerve bundle with the grafting cage. This caused the S1 nerve to be severed and I lost a 4mm section of the nerve ending. The surgeon was very upfront about what had happened which I appreciated but my problem now is that I have unbearable nerve pain in my left leg with numbness from my knee down on the out side of my leg and a complete lack of feeling in my left foot. I am unable to sit without excruciating pain, my left leg will not hold my weight at all and I am walking using crutches. I am using very strong morphine based painkillers which concerns me but at the moment I have no choice. No one seems to be able to tell me what my long term prognosis will be. I have researched on the net but have only managed to horrify myself! Does anyone have ANY idea as to what I can expect, what therapies may help with the leg weakness, time of recovery, whether recovery will be total or partial - any comments/experiences will help immensely! I am a very positive and determined person but its hard going when you have no information to base your confidence on. I can only deal with what I know and right now I know zip!! I would welcome any and all thoughts.

Thanks
Amanda T
Huntly NZ
amandat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-23-2008, 01:03 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Amanda, I read your thread a few days ago but didn't quite know what to say. I had my 5th lumbar surgery on Oct 6th. I'm doing very well. I didn't want to talk to you about me.

I don't understand all that has gone wrong with your surgery. I'm so sorry for your pain and all that has gone wrong. I guess everyone has told you to get a good lawyer.

I just wonder how you get by and my heart goes out to you. Amanda please know that you are in my prayers...

“Being my sweethearts full-time care partner, I have to remind myself, when some well-meaning friend or relative questions my methods or motives, that I know more than they do because I Live this life 24/7, and they only come for short visits.” Tamiloo

Gotta love my Olhipie! Dx'd RRMS 1986, SPMS 2004

Watch my Olhipie Skiing....

tamiloo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:40 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiloo View Post
Amanda, I read your thread a few days ago but didn't quite know what to say. I had my 5th lumbar surgery on Oct 6th. I'm doing very well. I didn't want to talk to you about me.

I don't understand all that has gone wrong with your surgery. I'm so sorry for your pain and all that has gone wrong. I guess everyone has told you to get a good lawyer.

I just wonder how you get by and my heart goes out to you. Amanda please know that you are in my prayers...
Thanks for your thoughts tamiloo, much appreciated. I'm not doing too bad at the moment, just getting my head around the implications of this. I'm only 37 and have two kids aged 13 and 9. I originally decided to have the operation because I was no longer able to be active with my kids and now this has happened - ironic really. My husband has been absolutely awesome, im just so lucky I don't have to cope with this on my own. Over here in New Zealand we are not able to sue doctors they way you are in the States. We can pursue compensation through the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) but the process is designed to be lengthy and frustrating and I don't have the mental energy just at the moment to go there. You sound like an amazing person, having dealt with both yours and your husbands injuries/illnesses. I have a lot to be thankful for compared to you but reading your profile gives me strength that I can cope with this setback. Thank you for reaching out.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:46 PM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Oh, Amanda...I so glad to hear that your not alone. My husband is wonderful. He isn't able to do much for me at all. But, what he does do for me is he love me and is patient with me. We have only been together for seven years but can read each other really well. He can see when I'm in more pain than I can take and he makes me lay down. He doesn't even care how clean the house is. My 85 year old Mom lives with us and she has been willing to pay for a cleaning lady to come in twice a week. It is wonderful. I fill like I'm starting to keep up with most of the chores. I love to cook but having the pain I have has taken most of that desire away. On Sunday's I always cook for my son who is 24 and daughter who is 22 and their significant other...boyfriend and girl friend. I think they are going to be my future children sometime maybe next year. Oh, an once a week we have a Spaghetti night.

Wow, I can' believe how carried away I got. Well, not sure what time it is their but I need to start supper or the hungry masses will be storming into the house soon wanting to eat the cupboard doors.

Please rest as much as you can. Has your doc given you a referal for therapy? See what he can do...

“Being my sweethearts full-time care partner, I have to remind myself, when some well-meaning friend or relative questions my methods or motives, that I know more than they do because I Live this life 24/7, and they only come for short visits.” Tamiloo

Gotta love my Olhipie! Dx'd RRMS 1986, SPMS 2004

Watch my Olhipie Skiing....

tamiloo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:20 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart Hi Amanda

Hi Amanda, can't sue the doctor? Gee, you guys need to change that so you don't have careless accident's in the surgery room, like this guy did and I guess he knows his right's well since he didn't do anything. Maybe you should just shoot the guy and fix his leg as well...I don't know, that's horrible to say the least. I was thinking that maybe they can do a nerve block between the damaged nerves and your brain, they do it here in the states for pain control. I know I'd be up the doctors you know what until he agree to fix the problem he caused. What a careless guy. They have been trying to put caps on our lawsuits here for years, and have them in some of the states, although I for one don't agree with them, for one it lets doctors just go in and be careless like the guy working on you and not have to worry about it. Do they review a doctor like this and pull his license? They should....anyway maybe the nerve block would work or help you, there has got to be a way to go in and cut off that nerve impulse that is being sent to your brain to at least get you out of pain, as for as getting your foot back, well that would take some repair on the nerve bundle he sliced, I know they do it and they have repaired nerves by putting them back together again, there must surely be something that could be done along those lines. I'd start with the doctor that hurt me, and hey you can make sure that no one else use's this guy by simply exposing him for his screw up...Good Luck and I'd like to hear you keep this post up and what kind of help or resolution you can come up with....I feel for you, I'm in daily pain in my neck, they refuse to up my pain meds, even the Pain Med doctor won't up them, haha, I'm working on that trust me. Good Luck again and may God Bless you with a lot of love and luck.
futurexboy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:38 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hey mate

Hi Amanda

I just read your post and i am gutted for you, i had an L4-S1 done in Auckland nearly 2 years ago....i really feel for you and i am so amazed at your attitude towards this cockup, your amazing!, keep your chin up, the only thing i can suggest is the surgeon who did my back , he was fantastic and i hope it doesn't turn out to be the same guy, but if it isn't try giving him a call and see what he says, after all my research this guy was recommended to me by nurses and ex patients and anyone else i asked , they all the said the same thing, he's fantastic and the best in NZ...i had my fusion done in Auckland

you can read my story here if you want to know more about it...

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread15857.html

this is the guy who worked on my back L4-S1 fusion with rods (he doesn't like the cage , reckons it's not as good and not as strong)

Michael J Barnes MBChB, FRACS
Spine Surgeon, Ph: 09-307 4281

call him and have a chat....i can't recommend him enough...

take care mate
Michael

kiwimike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:49 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurexboy View Post
Hi Amanda, can't sue the doctor? Gee, you guys need to change that so you don't have careless accident's in the surgery room, like this guy did and I guess he knows his right's well since he didn't do anything. Maybe you should just shoot the guy and fix his leg as well...I don't know, that's horrible to say the least. I was thinking that maybe they can do a nerve block between the damaged nerves and your brain, they do it here in the states for pain control. I know I'd be up the doctors you know what until he agree to fix the problem he caused. What a careless guy. They have been trying to put caps on our lawsuits here for years, and have them in some of the states, although I for one don't agree with them, for one it lets doctors just go in and be careless like the guy working on you and not have to worry about it. Do they review a doctor like this and pull his license? They should....anyway maybe the nerve block would work or help you, there has got to be a way to go in and cut off that nerve impulse that is being sent to your brain to at least get you out of pain, as for as getting your foot back, well that would take some repair on the nerve bundle he sliced, I know they do it and they have repaired nerves by putting them back together again, there must surely be something that could be done along those lines. I'd start with the doctor that hurt me, and hey you can make sure that no one else use's this guy by simply exposing him for his screw up...Good Luck and I'd like to hear you keep this post up and what kind of help or resolution you can come up with....I feel for you, I'm in daily pain in my neck, they refuse to up my pain meds, even the Pain Med doctor won't up them, haha, I'm working on that trust me. Good Luck again and may God Bless you with a lot of love and luck.

Hi there.

Yeah, life would be a lot more enjoyable if I could sue the Doc for a million dollars LOL. To be fair,though, to the surgeon, he was the best in my area and this is the first time he has had any complications with spinal surgery in the 12 yrs he has been operating. Cold comfort to me, but I need to just get on with life and not dwell on the "what if's" cos that would seriously drive me nuts!! Your suggestion about the nerve block injection is something I will be following up on. Definitely worth a try. Ive been really surprised reading about the way they seem to dish out the "hard" drugs to you guys over there in the States. Here, they pretty much start you off on Panadol and if that doesn't work THEN they bring out the big guns! I was taking Gabapentin with Tramal but that REALLY didn't agree with me.....in fact, I started to "fit" like an epileptic which as you can imagine, didn't do my back a hell of a lot of good and made me too scared to sleep! I now take the Gabapentin on its own with Diclofenac for inflammation and Codalgin for pain.
Its sometimes not very effective but has less chance of being addictive and adding to my problems. Thanks very much for taking the time to contact me and letting me know of your experiences and how you deal with it all. Its just brilliant knowing I'm not alone!

Cheers
Amanda
Old 11-30-2008, 08:53 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimike View Post
Hi Amanda

I just read your post and i am gutted for you, i had an L4-S1 done in Auckland nearly 2 years ago....i really feel for you and i am so amazed at your attitude towards this cockup, your amazing!, keep your chin up, the only thing i can suggest is the surgeon who did my back , he was fantastic and i hope it doesn't turn out to be the same guy, but if it isn't try giving him a call and see what he says, after all my research this guy was recommended to me by nurses and ex patients and anyone else i asked , they all the said the same thing, he's fantastic and the best in NZ...i had my fusion done in Auckland

you can read my story here if you want to know more about it...

this is the guy who worked on my back L4-S1 fusion with rods (he doesn't like the cage , reckons it's not as good and not as strong)

Michael J Barnes MBChB, FRACS
Spine Surgeon, Ph: 09-307 4281

call him and have a chat....i can't recommend him enough...

take care mate
Michael

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. I have read your experience and am thrilled for you that all has gone well. There have been so many horror stories on this site that its just wonderful to read about someone who has had a positive experience! My surgeon was Richard Sommerville who came very highly recommended here in Hamilton (I live in Huntly). He was absolutely gutted that this happened and it was a first for him - nothing like this has ever happened to him before.....(YAY!! How special am I?!) He was good initially while I was in hospital but I kinda get the feeling I am now "persona non grata" - he even wanted to do my first followup by phone which my ACC Assessor thought was totally unacceptable and made THE phone call to rectify! I have been advised to "ask" (read "demand") that I be referred to a neurologist who is able to assess my injury and give me some much needed advice and info. I start passive physio on Wed for my leg - hot/cold therapy, massage and the T.E.N.S machine, so at least I feel like things are starting to be prioritised. Its been 2 1/2 weeks since the operation and I have had no problems at all with my back. I'm sure if it wasn't for the nerve injury, I too would have been one of the success stories. Bit of a bummer really. A nerve block injection was mentioned by a previous reply and I will look into this - anything that will stop this pain and maybe help me to be able to sit properly has got to be worth a try. Thank you all for your comments....it makes me feel less alone in this "club" and helps to keep me positive.

Cheers
Amanda