advertisement

Old 11-22-2008, 02:08 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Ear ache anyone??

I've been having trouble with nerve pain on the left side of my body. Started in my neck, moved to the shoulder and down the arm....now my left ear hurts along with my left sided molars in my mouth.

Now I know this sounds like an ear infection, but it seems to react to my bad neck If the nerve in my neck acts up, then the ear pain starts. This is a stabbing like pain and it comes and goes. I remember ear infections being a constant pain.

I googled "ear pain and multiple sclerosis" and there are cases of ear pain associated with MS. Anyone else had it?

I've been under a lot of stress due to aging mother in nursing home and I can certainly feel MS issues linked with stress. I just hope it all stops soon. The only thing that allows me to sleep at night is if I take 2-3 Alleve. (600mg)

If you obsess about things that may happen and they don't come true...then you've wasted your time. If it does come true....then you've lived it twice.
karilann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-22-2008, 02:15 PM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I don't have any experience with ear pain with MS, but I hope you get some relief soon!

I have this mental picture in my mind of you all, shaking bones and bells and charms, muttering prayers and voodoo curses, dancing around in a circle of salt, with leetle glasses and tiny bottles of cheer in the middle...myyyyyy friends!

diagnosed 09/03/2004
scheduled to start Tysabri 03/05
Tysabri withdrawn from market 02/28/05
Copaxone 05/05-12/06
Tysabri returned to market 06/05/06
Found a new neuro 04/07
Tysabri 05/25/07-present
Medical Marijuana legally 12/03/09

Negative for JC virus antibodies!

I'm doing alright and making good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Riverwild is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:41 PM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I recently had something similar. And it was the left side of my face and head....right around the eye/ear area. I think it was TN but it only lasted one day and it wasn't constant pain, either. Just sort of shooting, stabbing pain that would come and go. I'm glad it left!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 02:46 PM #4
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herekitty View Post
I recently had something similar. And it was the left side of my face and head....right around the eye/ear area. I think it was TN but it only lasted one day and it wasn't constant pain, either. Just sort of shooting, stabbing pain that would come and go. I'm glad it left!
I can vouch for this. I've had basically the same occur as well thinking it's TN too.
05/2008 - Relapse
05/2008 to 02/2009 - Copaxone
10/2011 - Relapse - Optic Neuritis developed
9/2012 - Relapse - Balance issues 1 sided
8/2012 - Erythema Nodosum - diagnosed 10/2012, reaction to Topiramate (Topamax)
April 7/14 - Raynaud's Syndrome DX
dmplaura is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 04:22 PM #5
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I've had ear pain for years that comes out of nowhere. I'll be minding my own business and all of a sudden I'll be grabbing my ear and trying to hold my eardrum in, because it feels like someone is stabbing me with a giant icepick.

I dont know what causes it, and it usually will happen out of the blue, and then will go away and I wont feel it again for a month or more.

I've never actually associated it with the MS, but I guess that could be one explanation.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:48 PM #6
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I've never had ear pain with MS, but like everything with MS, seems anything is possible.

I would have that checked out by the doc though, karilann. There are so many things that could cause that and I'd hate to see you ignoring some kind of infection at the risk of exacerbating the MS.

Ear pain is not constant with an infection, and it is generally worse when you are laying down (which is why the kids seem fine in the day, but cry so much at night when they get one). If it is something like that, I found a good homeopathic treatment for the pain, called "Traumeel", by Heel. It doesn't treat the infection at all . . . just the pain . . . but it works like magic.

Cherie
Old 11-22-2008, 08:31 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have had ear pain before that was caused by my MS. It came at the same time as pain in my neck and face.
karousel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:07 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Do see your family doctor and let your neurologist know 'if' you start getting monthly ear infections for I found that too is tied into MS.

I went over a year getting monthly ear infections. I would see my family doctor, he would prescribe an antibiotic, it would clear then the following month the process would start again.

I now use daily otic 2% ear drops; 4 drops in each ear and this keeps away the monthly ear infections. My family doctor did a culture on my throat (looked like strep but wasn't); it was in my throat and ears. It was a bacteria that belonged in my lower intestines.

Earlier, another family doctor I saw saw this infection in my throat and said it was near my spine and could easily go into my brain; said he had seen it many times before. He was an older, experienced doctor. I too was running a pretty high fever. At 99 lbs. -- little girl's size 12 pants -- (30 lbs. lighter than my size 7 pants) I was given a painful shot in my bum that dispersed the antibiotic over a 5 day period.

Now I'm going through something new. I don't have an ear infection or wax buildup; saw my family doctor. But I'm losing the hearing my my left ear. This too is tied into MS because when I see my neurologist at the MS Clinic in Pittsburgh he checks my hearing by rubbing his fingers together by my ears asking if I can hear it. Now I cannot hear the dial tone on the phone in my left ear.

Oh, too this started years ago by ringing in my ear; now that ringing in my left ear has gone and I have extremely loud, high-pitched ringing in my right ear.

Just my experience over the years with my ears...only having MS dx. Not saying this is what is going on with you... Take care.
0357 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:11 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Check out the Trigeminal Neuralgia page on this site. There is a percentage of MSers who also suffer from TN. I've got Atypical TN. (At least that's the theory so far) I have pain like a burning needle being pushed through my eardrum, and the ear itself is so tender, the slightest touch makes me cringe. Sometimes the pain radiates behind my eyes and down my neck. I do hope that is not the case for you.

I know heat really helps. And relaxation, whatever you can do to relax your muscles (which of course are tense because you're in pain). And sometimes, marijuana has been helpful. Pth the three together and you should feel better.

I'm still walking upright and six feet above ground.
Catch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:03 PM #10
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Catch, me too. Mine actually affects another area of my face however, left scalp occasionally, but around the left eye into the cheekbone definitely.

I experience it bilaterally. I'm surprised that my neurologist did not dismiss my theory that I have ATN what so ever, and as I mentioned in another thread, all but flat out encouraged the use of marijuana for pain relief from it.
05/2008 - Relapse
05/2008 to 02/2009 - Copaxone
10/2011 - Relapse - Optic Neuritis developed
9/2012 - Relapse - Balance issues 1 sided
8/2012 - Erythema Nodosum - diagnosed 10/2012, reaction to Topiramate (Topamax)
April 7/14 - Raynaud's Syndrome DX
dmplaura is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote