Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 04:56 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hello! New to spinal disorders & Back pain thread

Hello! I've been around on the Thoracic Outlet Syndrome forum for a while but haven't poked around here until lately (Great info in Stickys )
I'm 31 and off work (for almost 2 years now) due to tendonitis & TOS symptoms. I have just recently been diagnosed with some underlying degenerative disc disease thrown into my bilateral-repetitive-strain-injuries mix.
A QME doctor had me go do an MRI last month of the cervical spine and it revealed disc bulges at:
Quote:
C4-5 (1-2mm no significant central spinal stenosis),
C5-6 (2-3mm left paracentral disk bulge & mild facet hypertrophy causing mild foraminal narrowing on the left, &
C6-7 (3-4mm right paracentral disk protrusion, which indented the thecal sac.)
There was mild uncovertebral & facet hypertrophy. Findings cause moderate lateral recess stenosis & narrowing bilaterally and a moderate to severe central spine stenosis.
Options for care- Cervical epidural steroid injections
Now I really have no idea what this means but I do know that my treating doc wants me to do traction instead of surgery and I know that the QME doctor says the disc problems are preexisting.

Would anyone care to enlighten me on a coupla questions:
  1. Can disc degeneration be reversed or just slowed down?
  2. What does an cervical epidural steroid shot do?
  3. How much does that hurt???!
  4. Can an MRI definately prove that this was a pre-existing condition rather than a secondary injury of Thoracic Outlet?
  5. And for extra credit: What the heck does the above diagnoses say in layman's terms

thursday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-24-2008, 01:29 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Welcome to Neuro Talk Thursday...I guess I should say welcome to the Spinal Disorders and Back Pain forum. I have lumbar problems so I have no answers to your questions. Just wanted to say hello!!

“Being my sweethearts full-time care partner, I have to remind myself, when some well-meaning friend or relative questions my methods or motives, that I know more than they do because I Live this life 24/7, and they only come for short visits.” Tamiloo

Gotta love my Olhipie! Dx'd RRMS 1986, SPMS 2004

Watch my Olhipie Skiing....

tamiloo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
thursday (11-24-2008)

Tags
degenerative disc disease, diagnoses, traction, treatment