advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 07:56 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Applying for SSDI - Suggestions Appreciated

I am going to be applying for SSDI online.

Anyone 'been there, done that' and have some helpful hints, suggestions for me?

What information should I gather before I begin?

I plan on getting copies of my medical records from all my doctors.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks!

advertisement
Old 11-25-2008, 08:33 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Keep copies of everything you submit to Social Security.

Check out the "listings" for SSDI. They're broken down by issue by body system and mental health.

Tell Social Security about EVERY problem you have--not just the ones you think are important. For instance, if you have bladder problems, have a hammer toe, have MS, have anxiety/depression, have chronic bronchitis, and eczema--tell Social Security. Get all the records to back you up for that medical condition.

You can get your doctor to write a letter to SSA that discusses how your problem affects your ability to work. SSA won't care that your doc says he thinks you're disabled, that's SSA's determination to make in the process, but it will care what your doc says about how your problems affect your ability to do work related activity. And if your doc can include how often a month that you would need to miss work because of your medical/mental health problems, that would be good to include. Get friends/family/employers to write letters about the problems you have and how it affects your ability to do things related to work or around the house or with them. They can show before MS and after MS differences in your activity/ability level. If your employer was making any accommodations for you based on your problems, make sure your employer puts that into a letter--and for how long they were doing it.

Keep copies of EVERYTHING, including your medical records. Send in the names of the docs/facilities at which you were treated, the number of pages of medical records, and the dates the records covered (for each medical provider) to Social Security with a letter indicating the records are enclosed.

And if you're denied, appeal the decision promptly. All you have to say is, "I disagree with the decision. I believe I am disabled." as your reason to appeal. (note that isn't a long song and dance explanation and is pretty vague) Don't give up if you think you're disabled. And then seek the advice of an attorney--preferably an attorney who does SSDI/SSI work a lot--like a NOSSCR (google it) attorney.

Here's another post I made about this stuff. Sort of similar to what I've told you, but there's additional stuff in there. http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post195950-6.html

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have more questions.
BaxterTheBunny (11-25-2008), weegot5kiz (11-29-2008)
Old 11-25-2008, 08:54 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It is imperative that all of your Doctors consider you to be disabled. SS will get all of your medical records from all of the Doctors you list. If you didn't like a Doctor you still should list them, if you don't SS will find out and not believe anything you told them since you omitted some information. It is not really needed to get a Lawyer unless you are denied, and most won't take you until you are. If denied it becomes very important. Always list your condition on your worst days, never your best.

The best of luck to you, may it be a short trip.
USS Monitor 1996, 1997, 1999
Andrea Doria 1996, 1998
USS Wilkes Barre 1991
wkikta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BaxterTheBunny (11-25-2008)
Old 11-25-2008, 09:04 PM #4
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkikta View Post
It is imperative that all of your Doctors consider you to be disabled. SS will get all of your medical records from all of the Doctors you list. If you didn't like a Doctor you still should list them, if you don't SS will find out and not believe anything you told them since you omitted some information. It is not really needed to get a Lawyer unless you are denied, and most won't take you until you are. If denied it becomes very important. Always list your condition on your worst days, never your best.

Bill,

What if a doctor you are seeing doesn't consider you disabled, say for instance your ob/gyn. Should that doctor lie? Should that doctor even submit a report? You have certainly confused what information Gazelle has so succinctly submitted.

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BaxterTheBunny (11-26-2008), CayoKay (11-28-2008)
Old 11-25-2008, 09:04 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks Gazelle and wkikta

Do I need to get my copies of my medical records before I go online and fill out the SSDI application? Are they going to be asking info that will require me to have those records?

Thanks!
Old 11-25-2008, 09:46 PM #6
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkikta View Post

I think your point would be "don't write neurogenic bladder" or "Optical Neuritis" if this isn't something our doctors would agree with? Still write down meeting with that doc, just don't exaggerate the symptom.

I agree with Bill about writing your WORST day. I also have a number of suggestions, but I'll probably send them by PM because I would like to provide you with the type of "detail" they are looking for ... so will send you my write-up to get some ideas flowing.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
BaxterTheBunny (11-26-2008)
Old 11-26-2008, 01:11 PM #7
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Joe just went through this process, and was approved in 2 MONTHS, so in case you missed his "advice" in the other thread . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMac View Post
The advice I could give any one applying for SSDI online is be etremely thorough and honest with everything you are filling out, they will request all your medical records from all your doctors. It is very important that your doctors are onboard with what you are doing and if SSDI deems that you are truly what you are saying they will figure that out with what your docs are saying, fill out and send in anything they send you in the mail PROMPTLY and then do a follow-up once your application gets sent to the main facility for the approval process to see that they have everything needed, do whatever you need to help them get what they need.
... btw, just trying to slightly edit my documentation before I send it to you by PM.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
BaxterTheBunny (11-27-2008)
Old 11-26-2008, 04:19 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Ssdi

I applied and was sent to "their doc and shrink". It was so hot in the docs office and my symptoms were going crazy!!! Their doc even asked me if someone else was driving me home. She thought I was worse than I had written about.
However; I was denied and got a lawyer. He expects it to take 3 years before my name is even called to go up before a judge.
(Michigan)
Don't under estimate the power of FATIGUE. If its a problem say so on your worst days ...know it is the #1 disabler of MS.

SSDI will request your medical records but I would gather them up myself and submit them. My primary doc took 6 weeks to send my info.
Also I don't think an OBGYN is going to impact one way or another about your disability. I'm sure he/she would bow to the expertise of the Neuro and PM.
Don't forget to get any copies of MRI reports etc. You may have to solicite them from a hospital.
You can get books on filing for SSD too that are very helpful.

If you obsess about things that may happen and they don't come true...then you've wasted your time. If it does come true....then you've lived it twice.
karilann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BaxterTheBunny (11-27-2008)
Old 11-28-2008, 01:52 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

• Be thorough and honest and detailed in your application.
  • Keep copies of everything you submit to SSDI. You can file online, or use a paper application.
  • In addition to requesting that doctors send copies of medical records, ask your doctors to write letters to SSDI, advocating for disability for you. Some of terminology that SSDI relates to, and likes to hear includes: "totally and permanently disabled", and "unable to maintain substantial, gainful employment". My doctors all provided me a copy of the letters they sent.
  • Tell SSDI how often you have missed work, due to MS.
  • Tell them about how MS has affected your ability to perform your job effectively.
  • Tell SSDI what has changed since you were able to be employed. (ie: Why are you unable to hold a job now, but you were before.)
I applied without an attorney, and was approved within 3 months. Still had to wait for my 5 month waiting period to receive my first check.

~ Faith
Began receiving SSDI 11/2008
FaithS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:25 PM #10
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithS View Post
I applied without an attorney, and was approved within 3 months. Still had to wait for my 5 month waiting period to receive my first check.

~ Faith
The 5 month waiting period is mandatory for everyone! That's part of the law! One of the things that we've been working on is the waiting period, especially for those under 62! The waiting period!!! It can be up to 29 months!

Eliminating the 24-Month Medicare Waiting Period

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford

Last edited by tovaxin_lab_rat; 11-28-2008 at 01:45 PM.
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote