Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 01:23 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Intranasal delivery of GDNF

(anyone aware of any updates from this research?) Madelyn http://cns.bu.edu/~tren/ical/day.php...ton-neurotalks

4:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Barbara Waszczak - Intranasal delivery of GDNF: A novel neuroprotective strategy for Parkinson's Disease

http://www.michaeljfox.org/research_...s_3.cfm?ID=374

Feasibility of Intranasal Delivery of GDNF for Parkinson's Disease
Rapid Response Innovation Awards 2007

Objective/Rationale:

Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) is a small protein that potently promotes the survival of many types of neurons. The therapeutic potential of GDNF for Parkinson’s disease remains unfulfilled due to obstacles in its delivery to the brain. The goal of this research is to determine if GDNF can be given intranasally and reach the brain to protect dopamine neurons from the neurotoxin 6-hydroxydopamine (6-OHDA), a standard rat model of Parkinson’s disease. We will also test whether lipid vesicles incorporating GDNF can improve its transport to brain and increase its neuroprotective effect in rats.

Project Description:

We will first determine if GDNF is detectable in a rat's brain after intranasal administration. GDNF will be labeled with a radioactive tracer or a fluorescent tag and its distribution in the brain will be studied. Then 4 experiments will be done to look for evidence of neuroprotective effects of intranasal GDNF. The first will determine the maximum protection of dopamine neurons achievable with a single dose of GDNF in the rat model. The second study will examine the effects of multiple intranasal doses of GDNF given before, at the same time as, and after injection of 6-OHDA. The third experiment will test a range of GDNF doses to define the maximum and minimum neuroprotective effects. The final study will determine if intranasal GDNF increases the size and dopamine synthetic capacity of brain dopamine neurons.

Relevance to Diagnosis/Treatment of Parkinson’s Disease:

GDNF cannot enter the brain after systemic administration, and the surgery to inject it directly into brain is too invasive for many patients. If nasal administration of GDNF is successful in protecting dopamine neurons in the rat and in other animal models of Parkinson’s disease, it may be developed as a therapy for patients.

Anticipated Outcome:

Our research is a feasibility study to determine if the intranasal route can deliver sufficient amounts of GDNF to brain to protect dopamine neurons from the neurotoxic effects of 6-OHDA in rats, and to determine if a liposomal formulation provides greater neuroprotection than GDNF in solution. If the results are positive, intranasal GDNF may become an effective, patient controlled means of harnessing the therapeutic effects of GDNF for patients with Parkinson’s disease.

Researchers
Barbara Waszczak, PhD
Bouve College of Health Sciences at Northeastern University

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lou_lou (12-01-2008)

advertisement
Old 11-30-2008, 05:25 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Red face sounds good to me

Olsen

I hadn't heard of this, but it sounds promising! Thanks for posting.

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:56 AM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Intranasal delivery

Hi Olsen,
I did a lot of research on this route some years ago, looking to get pure levodopa directly into the brain, via a nasal spray (ie with no carbidopa), as a means to get immediate activation with a minimum of side effects. I corresponded with a pharma company and encouraged them to research the route, but they gave up after a while. The nasal route to drug delivery has been investigated for a number of other illnesses.
I also looked into getting other substances into the brain directly such as glutathione. See this post.
Ron
--------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithclayriley
This many posts is embarrassing but I had to do it

http://www.discoveritonline.biz/alternative.html

Smithclayriley,
Interesting link, many thanks. I was particularly interested in the glutathione (GSH) nasal spray. Glutathione is a very good antioxidant, which has been pioneered by Dr Perlmutter. However, it breaks down in the body when taken orally, and the usual way of taking it is by injection. So the reference to taking it via a nasal spray is very interesting. The nasal passage by-passes the BBB, and rapidly gets direct to the brain.
As an aside, glutathione protects the blood-brain barrier,
"Our studies showed that cerebral GSH plays an important role in maintaining the functional BBB integrity."
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...e?format=print
The only problem is sourcing it. On your link, it says,
"I have recently heard from Sugit (my Dutch friend in Japan) that a glutathione nasal spray has been amazingly useful for him - more so than just about anything else he has tried. The only place he knows of to get it is a compounding pharmacy in the US - http://www.keynutritionrx.com/ (and you need a Doctor's prescription)"
Ron

----------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-01-2008, 06:51 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default what company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronhutton View Post
Hi Olsen,
I did a lot of research on this route some years ago, looking to get pure levodopa directly into the brain, via a nasal spray (ie with no carbidopa), as a means to get immediate activation with a minimum of side effects. I corresponded with a pharma company and encouraged them to research the route, but they gave up after a while. The nasal route to drug delivery has been investigated for a number of other illnesses.
I also looked into getting other substances into the brain directly such as glutathione. See this post.
Ron
--------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithclayriley
This many posts is embarrassing but I had to do it

http://www.discoveritonline.biz/alternative.html

Smithclayriley,
Interesting link, many thanks. I was particularly interested in the glutathione (GSH) nasal spray. Glutathione is a very good antioxidant, which has been pioneered by Dr Perlmutter. However, it breaks down in the body when taken orally, and the usual way of taking it is by injection. So the reference to taking it via a nasal spray is very interesting. The nasal passage by-passes the BBB, and rapidly gets direct to the brain.
As an aside, glutathione protects the blood-brain barrier,
"Our studies showed that cerebral GSH plays an important role in maintaining the functional BBB integrity."
http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...e?format=print
The only problem is sourcing it. On your link, it says,
"I have recently heard from Sugit (my Dutch friend in Japan) that a glutathione nasal spray has been amazingly useful for him - more so than just about anything else he has tried. The only place he knows of to get it is a compounding pharmacy in the US - http://www.keynutritionrx.com/ (and you need a Doctor's prescription)"
Ron

----------------------------------------------------------------
Ron, what company did you ask about the nasal levodopa and do you have their contact info still? Thanks!
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:22 AM #5
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Nasal route

Hi Lurking for a cure,
I have sent you a private message on the company involved.
Ron