advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 07:42 AM #1
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default medicatons and suicide risk.....

http://www.healthcentral.com/migrain...5.html?ic=4004
Please inform your doctor with any and all concerns, risks and side affects.
I have been on many of the mentioned in the past and was suicidal . I can no longer take any Anticonvulsant medications .

(Thanks Pono your not alone!!!! )
Burntmarshmallow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (12-02-2008), mistiis (12-03-2008), Nik-key (12-02-2008), pono (12-04-2008), who moi (12-02-2008)

advertisement
Old 12-02-2008, 08:16 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs up Thank you Burntmarshmallow

Any information about medication is very welcome and so important ...

I have been on every AED listed (except Lyrica - which I refused) and I'm currently on Topamax and Trileptal.
I've "heard" that the suicide risks are very rare except for much younger people, especially teens. My epi (she knows me inside out )and my pharmacist have both assured me that I'm doing just fine so I have no concerns about these meds.
Wren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (12-02-2008), Burntmarshmallow (12-02-2008), mistiis (12-03-2008), Nik-key (12-02-2008), who moi (12-02-2008)
Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 AM #3
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

well I was in my 30s then I am 42 now now is 30 young???? The meds and pain took a huge toll on me I am lucky to be here. I am Glad you are doing good on meds and that you have a great doctor. Most people with T.N, A.D. are put on med after med after med see doctor after doctor before even finding out what is wrong or finding that they have T.N.
and since T.N. is called the suicide illness..... well ya'all get the picture.
hugs to the room ...and my family here.

PEACE
BMW
Burntmarshmallow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (12-02-2008), mistiis (12-03-2008), Nik-key (12-02-2008), pono (12-04-2008), who moi (12-02-2008)
Old 12-02-2008, 06:16 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

((Wren)) I am so thankful this isnt a problem for you and that you have such a wonderful caring doctor

((BMW)) As you know I too have TN- ON and AD.... I have been there, I know exactly what you mean!! The risk is high enough with trying to deal with the pain levels, add in the wrong medication and disaster can strike. Thank you for sharing this information

Speaking of medications, you know what struck me funny.. in the crazy sort of way... when I went to my doctor because I was wanting so desperately to join Dad they put me on anti depressants... stated clearly in black and white was that this medication could increase the risk of suicide! WTH???

More Than One Soul Dies In A Suicide

Nik-key is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (12-03-2008), Burntmarshmallow (12-03-2008), mistiis (12-03-2008), pono (12-04-2008)
Old 12-03-2008, 07:37 AM #5
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member

well I'd lol except it really isn't funny is it! You hear ads on tv for all these drugs and it's followed by "may cause blindness, or temporary insanity, or etc...and you have to wonder...why on earth would anyone take them!

*whisper....cause if they don't kill you..they might help you. ~sigh

Alffe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Burntmarshmallow (12-03-2008), mistiis (12-03-2008), Nik-key (12-03-2008), pono (12-04-2008)
Old 12-03-2008, 06:32 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I can't let this one go by today. I have responses to other posts that will have to wait. Drugs.... we can't live with some....we can't live very well without some...big ~sigh

I am very drug sensitive. Most docs simply don't understand this. If you fall outside of the 'norm' well, they just don't want to take the time to deal with it, or you. There is not enough time. Or they just don't have the patience, and become frustrated. Not to mention me?? I thought I was the patient ....anyway, I have been on Neurontin for pain. I do not know if it increases suicidal ideation in me or not since I have that problem anyway. The only way I will know is to get off of it. Another thing they don't tell you is that your body will become dependent on it. big ~sigh oh, and your psyche too... another big ~sigh

But, my main point for posting here, is to warn people about steroids. They are a powerful class of drugs, and can work seeming miracles. But if you are sensitive to them, they will lift you sky high, and drop you like a bomb. I have had many cortisone injections for various things. A year and a half ago I was given cortisone IV before surgery. I didn't think that much about it. Big mistake on my part. Several days after the surgery I became very suicidal. I didn't understand it at all as I was not depressed. After several hours of battling with these thoughts, it dawned on me that it was a reaction to the cortisone injection. Once I understood what was happening I was better able to deal with it. I am very careful with this med. This is real folks. This can be a very real reaction to some meds. And a dangerous one at that. Educate yourself as much as possible on any medication that you must take. No, you don't want to scare yourself out of taking something that you need. But understanding how it may affect you is important. Then try to be aware. (((Hugs))) to all of you......

"Could a greater miracle take place than for us to look through each other's eyes for an instant?"
Thoreau

~ You can give without loving, but you cannot love
without giving. ~
mistiis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (12-03-2008), Burntmarshmallow (12-05-2008), Nik-key (12-04-2008), pono (12-04-2008)
Old 12-04-2008, 01:42 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you ((mistiis)) It is very real and I am glad attention is being drawn to it.

More Than One Soul Dies In A Suicide

Nik-key is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (12-04-2008), Burntmarshmallow (12-05-2008), mistiis (12-04-2008)