Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 03:32 PM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default I have a great suggestion for you all!!

I started doing this three days ago and today I got my first response.

I went into all my cupboards and got the websites of every food that I have in my home. EVERY FOOD ITEM, every paper product, every dishwashing item, EVERY ITEM, has a contact number or a website.

I did the website thing. I figured, I'm on the computer, just write them.

So I went to various websites (this takes a lot of time but once you're done, just wait until your mail arrives).

I clicked on "contact us" . Every website (for example Kimberley Clark), every website has a Contact Us option.

I simply praised their product and asked if they could be so kind as to send me a free coupon. Just one. That's all I asked for.

Well, I've been getting various emails back from the customer relations departments of all the websites I've written to. They were delighted to hear from me.

Today, in my mailbox, the first letter came with 3 FREE COUPONS for any product by OLIVIO.(I use their spray zero calorie margarine). I never expected 3. I thought I might get 1. They also sent me a nice letter thanking me for praising their product.

In the emails that I've been getting I am being told that I'm getting actual products in the mail.

So I cannot wait for the mailman every day. I'll either get a free coupon, or some sample (maybe even full size) of whatever I've been using in my house.

This is the single best way to save money I have ever thought of.

I sent 50 emails in two days. Can you imagine if I can get 50 or more free coupons (or products).

And just imagine writing or calling the 800 number on diaper packages.

Hope you all either start calling or emailing the companies.

It's like christmas when the mailman comes and you never know what will be in your mailbox.

And all I did was say I liked their product.

lol

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (03-11-2009), angelrsd (03-11-2009), AZjanie (12-05-2008), Bets (12-04-2008), bluenurse (12-04-2008), braingonebad (12-09-2008), Doody (12-05-2008), FinLady (12-04-2008), GmaSue (03-11-2009), Ivy2 (12-04-2008), Jaspar (12-04-2008), karousel (12-04-2008), Kitty (12-04-2008), PolarExpress (03-11-2009), Twinkletoes (12-04-2008), Vonn07 (12-04-2008), weegot5kiz (12-12-2008), who moi (12-06-2008)

advertisement
Old 12-04-2008, 09:01 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Red face Yeah..

I called Hershey's on their 1-800 number and gave them
holy he[[ for putting that dang sorbitol in their kisses candy that
made me poop forever in an outhouse during a thunderstorm in the DARK. I was really really mad, because they changed the formula since the last time I bought it, and I didn't think to read the ingredients this time!

I got 3 $3.00 coupons and an apology. (we spent them on the
new Bliss candies ---which do NOT have sorbitol in them BTW).

That was 9 dollars of free chocolate! LOL

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:25 AM #3
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I called Hershey's on their 1-800 number and gave them
holy he[[ for putting that dang sorbitol in their kisses candy that
made me poop forever in an outhouse during a thunderstorm in the DARK. I was really really mad, because they changed the formula since the last time I bought it, and I didn't think to read the ingredients this time!

I got 3 $3.00 coupons and an apology. (we spent them on the
new Bliss candies ---which do NOT have sorbitol in them BTW).

That was 9 dollars of free chocolate! LOL
Good for you. 9 bucks is 9 bucks.

I'm getting emails like crazy in my outlook express inbox and they're saying "We were delighted to hear from you AND OF COURSE WE ARE SENDING YOU (either coupons), or a package."

I'm the first to admit I DON'T LIKE HOLIDAYS OR CHRISTMAS.

But I can get used to a little treat in my mailbox during these days.

I'll let you know what arrives.

I do hope all of you do this. You can get LOTS OF STUFF!!!

I mean, who can't use a box of tide, or a bottle of dishwashing liquid, toothpaste.etc.

I didn't write to Perdue because I no longer eat chicken. but Imagine if I did??

lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 12-05-2008, 09:52 AM #4
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

many of the websites have a page to ask for samples. even walmart's site. they change them daily.

beauty products are great at giving you a sample. dove, oil of olay, garnier, loreal....

once you get on their mailing list, they keep sending them. i love getting free detergent.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:39 AM #5
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
many of the websites have a page to ask for samples. even walmart's site. they change them daily.

beauty products are great at giving you a sample. dove, oil of olay, garnier, loreal....

once you get on their mailing list, they keep sending them. i love getting free detergent.
Hi Curious.

How are you doing???
I know about the samples link. I don't click on that link.
I go to Contact Us, then I simply ask for a free coupon.

That free coupon will get me a FULL SIZED version of that product. And they love hearing from consumers, getting praise for the product.

To give you a further example, my husband pops popcorn every single night. He buys any kind that is on sale. the unpopped kernels. He throws them in our electric popcorn air popper and he goes to town (I can't eat popcorn because of my diabetes, and lord knows how much I would eat, because it's a trigger so I don't go near the stuff).

Anyway, around here you get a bag (or a plastic bottle of popcorn) for $1.99.

So I wrote to Jolly Time and explained that my husband loves popcorn and pops it every single night and could they please send me a free coupon.

I just got an email from them thanking me and they are delighted that my husband likes their popcorn and in a few weeks I'LL BE GETTING A PACKAGE!!!

The last time I got a package of a product was over 20 years ago when I wrote to the Ronzoni people because I had bought some of their grated cheese (they sold grated cheese at the time), and it was green in the bottle. So I wrote them and asked for my money back. Maybe I paid $1.79 for the little bottle of grated cheese.

They wrote me back this whole explanation of how they would love to replace the bottle but it's against the health law to send any bottles of grated cheese in the mail so would I mind if they send me some pasta instead.

Two days later, my doorbell rang and there was this huge box with 25 pounds of spaghetti, macaroni. We ate pasta for quite a while.

So fast forward to now and I'm not even complaining about a product. I'm simply telling them I love the product.

I think this is so much fun. And between growing my sprouts and going to the mailbox to see what's going to be showing up, (this should really be moving in about 2 weeks). I'm surprised I got the Olivio coupons only 3 days after I emailed them. They must have SOME customer service department.

Oh, guess what else I just found out this morning.

I went to my local bakery to buy a package of breadcrumbs. Now when you go to the store and buy breakcrumbs (4C, Progresso, WHATEVER THE BRAND), well, I would by a container and put it in the cabinet. I pay $2.50 for a container.

Well, I happen to live in Bensonhurst, near one of the most famous bakeries in Brooklyn. ALBA, which just merged with VILLABATE. To try and describe the lines that go around the corner during the holidays, well just try and imagine.

So I go in there this morning to buy a package of fresh breadcrumbs. They cost $.75 a package. Because of the holidays, there's this huge sign that says 4 packages of breadcrumbs for $2.00. I did the math and said "oh, that's a good deal". So I thought I would buy 4. I ask the lady behind the counter "I can put this in my plastic bowl and put it in the refrigerator and it will keep, right?"

She says "in the refrigerator?? Everyone we know keeps them in the freezer". I looked at her. I said "you can keep breadcrumbs in the freezer??" She then said "ask anyone in back of you on the line". I turn around and all the Italian ladies in my neighborhood were chuckling and saying "Of course, we keep our breadcrumbs in the freezer, they don't freeze, they keep forever and when you need them, you just take them out, and put back the package".

I just stood there dumfounded. I had never known this. Then the lady next to me said "you know you can keep coffee in the freezer, right?" and the lightbulb went off. I keep my fresh roasted coffee in my freezer. I said 'Oh, it's like the coffee?? It doesn't freeze!!" They all just smiled.

Melody then bought 8 bags of breadcrumbs for $4.00. 7 are now in my freezer and one is in m fridge to be used when I need it this week.

See, we all learned something today!!

lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
GmaSue (03-11-2009), Koala77 (12-12-2008)
Old 12-05-2008, 06:24 PM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hey Mel!

When you get the swag, coupons, packages, whatever they send you...DO NOT forget to write back and thank them for their response and how happy you were to receive! They usually always send more in response!

I do this once or twice a year. It's amazing how happy they are to send you stuff!

I have this mental picture in my mind of you all, shaking bones and bells and charms, muttering prayers and voodoo curses, dancing around in a circle of salt, with leetle glasses and tiny bottles of cheer in the middle...myyyyyy friends!

diagnosed 09/03/2004
scheduled to start Tysabri 03/05
Tysabri withdrawn from market 02/28/05
Copaxone 05/05-12/06
Tysabri returned to market 06/05/06
Found a new neuro 04/07
Tysabri 05/25/07-present
Medical Marijuana legally 12/03/09

Negative for JC virus antibodies!

I'm doing alright and making good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Riverwild is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (12-06-2008)
Old 12-05-2008, 08:31 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default hi Mel

Been doing this since my oldest was a baby,I wrote it like he was thrilled and
enjoyed there dipers. Kept his fanny nice and soft. Now my daughter is doing
the same then,we got coupons every month,from the diaper company.

And good for you Mrs.d as high as things cost now,we should have the candy that keeps us out of the outhouse. Sue
shiney sue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (12-07-2008)
Old 12-09-2008, 04:01 PM #8
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Good idea!

Okay, how does this sound...

"Dear people at Ford,

I really am enjoying my Mustang!...."

Think I'd get a coupon for a T bird?

hollym (03-12-2009)
Old 12-09-2008, 05:06 PM #9
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by braingonebad View Post
Good idea!

Okay, how does this sound...

"Dear people at Ford,

I really am enjoying my Mustang!...."

Think I'd get a coupon for a T bird?

FOOD my friend. FOOD and products in your house!!!

NOT CARS!! SUV's, TRUCKS, CAMPERS (Now wouldn't THAT be a hoot)

lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

Old 12-12-2008, 06:13 AM #10
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

In 1989 I bought a new truck. It was a Ford F 150 4 WD. I got it with the 100 k warranty. Every 5K miles I would write to them and tell them how satisfied I was with the truck. They always sent me coupons for free oil changes and maintenance! It saved me a lot of money over the years!
I still have the truck!!! 288K miles and counting!!! They are still sending coupons!!!

I have this mental picture in my mind of you all, shaking bones and bells and charms, muttering prayers and voodoo curses, dancing around in a circle of salt, with leetle glasses and tiny bottles of cheer in the middle...myyyyyy friends!

diagnosed 09/03/2004
scheduled to start Tysabri 03/05
Tysabri withdrawn from market 02/28/05
Copaxone 05/05-12/06
Tysabri returned to market 06/05/06
Found a new neuro 04/07
Tysabri 05/25/07-present
Medical Marijuana legally 12/03/09

Negative for JC virus antibodies!

I'm doing alright and making good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Riverwild is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
hollym (03-12-2009)