Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 12-04-2008, 11:39 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Mucuna and me

Hi folks,

Sorry not to have reported for a while, but with a snow storm and my computer crashing and other things, I just couldn't find time to log in, till now.

For those that are interested, I started taking M=Mucuna a while back. I stated with a 2.5 gm in the morning without my pill. It didn't work and at the last of it I was up to 3 X 2.5 gms in the morning. At 7.5 gm, I got on alright and I was bouncing of the walls. I knew then that it was to much and took the advice of someone on this board telling me to start slow and just take a pinch of it. I did as advised and started my day with 1 pinch of M and one 100/25 pill. The pinch didn't work and I was left waiting for my pill to kick in. I slowly worked it up to 3 pinches and my pill and low and behold, I found my level. When I'm off and it happens every so often because I forget to take my pills, I take 3 pinches to get me going and a pill to keep it going. Other times, I just take my pill.

I know for sure that everyone is different and therefore should experiment and and find their level.

Saturdays are the days that I don't take any M at all. There are other days that I don't need it but I make it a point to make that day M free.

It's quite a balance and you have to work at it, but I like using M as it gets into my system quickly. I don't mix it in water, I just put in my mouth and it's adsorbed there. Once in a while I can feel that I've taken to much and take steps to not take any more till I'm back down again.

I'm happy that I was fortunate enough to have read the information on it here.

Thank you guys
"Thanks for this!" says:
shcg (04-26-2016)

advertisement
Old 02-28-2009, 06:56 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Have you kept on using Mucuna?

Hi,

I'm kind of new in the field (2years) and have resisted taking meds so far, searching for the best angle through alternatives to regular meds.

I discovered Mucuna today and am looking for usage testimony.
Do you still take some? Alone or with other meds? With what effect?

Thanks in advance
I hope this mail finds you well

Damsee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sept08 View Post
Hi folks,

Sorry not to have reported for a while, but with a snow storm and my computer crashing and other things, I just couldn't find time to log in, till now.

For those that are interested, I started taking M=Mucuna a while back. I stated with a 2.5 gm in the morning without my pill. It didn't work and at the last of it I was up to 3 X 2.5 gms in the morning. At 7.5 gm, I got on alright and I was bouncing of the walls. I knew then that it was to much and took the advice of someone on this board telling me to start slow and just take a pinch of it. I did as advised and started my day with 1 pinch of M and one 100/25 pill. The pinch didn't work and I was left waiting for my pill to kick in. I slowly worked it up to 3 pinches and my pill and low and behold, I found my level. When I'm off and it happens every so often because I forget to take my pills, I take 3 pinches to get me going and a pill to keep it going. Other times, I just take my pill.

I know for sure that everyone is different and therefore should experiment and and find their level.

Saturdays are the days that I don't take any M at all. There are other days that I don't need it but I make it a point to make that day M free.

It's quite a balance and you have to work at it, but I like using M as it gets into my system quickly. I don't mix it in water, I just put in my mouth and it's adsorbed there. Once in a while I can feel that I've taken to much and take steps to not take any more till I'm back down again.

I'm happy that I was fortunate enough to have read the information on it here.

Thank you guys
Damsee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:33 PM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default mucana

i take a teaspoon with my oatmeal in the morning and get a small affect. i also take selegiline and 200-400mg sinemet plus numerous supplements. i haven't experimented with higher doses as i have just started to have to depend on sinemet and am getting used to it's affect. the transitioning from taking meds when i wanted to to having to take them daily is tough.
i was diagnosed in late 2001, played around with mirapex about 2 years ago, couldn't tolerate requip and finally decided mirapex was not very efective for me and have great results with sinemet. exercise is my other treatment.

my source of mucana powder was bazaar of india but they've been out of stock so found banyan botanicals "kapi kacchu seed powder" 1/2lb was less than $20.00
soccertese is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:39 PM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Be careful with mucuna

Be cautious with mucuna, particularly if you are taking selegiline or sinemet. The former is an MAO-B inhibitor and is prone to interactions with other drugs and mucuna is a real drug.

With sinemet you can overdo things pretty easily.

Mucuna needs a lot more research. I and others found that it does, indeed, work but when it wears off it does it fast and very thoroughly. Almost scary, in fact. I carry a few capsules of it with me for a "rescue" option. If I am out and start to go off, I can open a capsule and pretty quickly turn back on long enough to get home or some other sanctuary. Other than that, I have five pounds in the freezer for emegencies and leave it alone.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:14 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default What with Mucuna by very little regular doses?

Thanks for your comments.

As mentionned, I don't take any other drugs for now.

Has anyone tried to take very little amount of mucuna during the all day, say every hour to avoid getting off?

Cheers

Damsee
Damsee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:15 AM #6
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Mucuna

Mucuna P. is sold by iHerb in capsules, much more convenient than taking a "pinch", and you are sure of the dose.
they say it contains 100mg of 99% L-dopa, (= 99mg L-dopa)
plus 150mg of 20% L-dopa (= 30mg L-dopa)
So 129 mg total L-dopa
I found it switched me on every time, but I don't use it now, because I have cut my Sinemet down to 150 to 200 mg L-dopa per day.
Ron
Old 03-07-2009, 03:07 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default what?

Did I read that right-you REDUCED your sinment and are now only take 150mg-200mg a day? What were you one before, and how did you manage to reduce? I guess what I am really asking is, how are you doing on the reduced sinement? Why do you think you were able to reduce it?

Hope this isn't too invasive, but you should realize how impressive this is, I have never heard of anyone being able to reduce sinemet unless they are replacing it with mucuna/stalevo/whatever substitute. Thanks.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 03:44 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I was on sinment equivalent for 2 yrs. Recently, I managed to bring down sinment from twice day (100mg morning and night) to one dose just in the morning. I am doing fine with one dose so far. I started exercising, acupuncture, yoga and try to be stress free (as much as I can) and started on Azelect all at the same time. Oh, I had PD for 7 yrs and on meds for 5 years.

Girija

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
Did I read that right-you REDUCED your sinment and are now only take 150mg-200mg a day? What were you one before, and how did you manage to reduce? I guess what I am really asking is, how are you doing on the reduced sinement? Why do you think you were able to reduce it?

Hope this isn't too invasive, but you should realize how impressive this is, I have never heard of anyone being able to reduce sinemet unless they are replacing it with mucuna/stalevo/whatever substitute. Thanks.
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:12 AM #9
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Sinemet

Hi lurking,
Yes, I have reduced from a max of around 600 to 700mg levodopa per day to 150 to 200mg now. I have increased my curcumin to 4,000 mg per day, since it has been shown to be safe at 12,000mg. I also am now very careful to avoid constipation, by taking fybogel and All Bran high fibre cereal. I take citicoline 250mg, and Manuka honey to kill infections. I believe the curcumin high level has done the most good. Yesterday, I dug a tree stump out and worked 4 hours in the garden, so I am not just sitting around.
One problem is dyskinesia, even 50 mg is enough to set me flailing around. I seem very sensitive to sinemet now. When I go to the dentist, I have to go unmedicated, at least no sinemet, I do take 1mg of Mirapex per day.
I would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried such high levels of curcumin. I should warn it is not an instant fix, it seems to take many weeks before it takes effect. My PD is still progressing, I am not good on my feet now, but not bad for 17 years since diagnosis.
Ron
Just editing to add another paper on curcumin.
http://www.emaxhealth.com/1020/19/29...-turmeric.html

Last edited by Ronhutton; 03-08-2009 at 03:32 AM.
Ronhutton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:01 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried such high levels of curcumin. I should warn it is not an instant fix, it seems to take many weeks before it takes effect. My PD is still progressing, I am not good on my feet now, but not bad for 17 years since diagnosis.
Ron
Just editing to add another paper on curcumin.
http://www.emaxhealth.com/1020/19/29...-turmeric.html[/QUOTE]

Ron,
I use a lot of turmeric in my cooking and of late I am adding extra to my food. Also my new "vitamin+" pills contain 2000ug of curcumin. I suspect my total intake of curcumin is on the higher end but can not say how much of curcumin I am getting. I should find a way to convert turmeric in spoonfuls to more meaningful units of curcumin................

girija

Last edited by girija; 03-08-2009 at 11:14 PM.
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote