Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 11-16-2006, 03:46 PM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Exclamation Driving...yes or no

Now, I am in no way ready to give up on driving. I feel I have years ahead of me for driving. But, the effect stressful driving has is horrible.

Does anyone else have difficultly with driving to the market versus driving a couple of hours that include heavy traffic?

When did you give up any part of driving; e.g. around town, out of town, in the rain, at night?

The last two trips into Balimore to see my MD Neuro was difficult, as was my recent trip to the Baltimore airport just last week. I arrive flustered and abnormally symptomatic. My tremor was so bad, and I was so off, that Dr. Shulman was talking to me about how early DBS rather, than later DBS is best...see another thread begun today by me. I also notice that driving at night flusters me, even though I have driven the road "a million" times.

In February, when I see Dr. Shulman again, I will stop far out from Baltimore and take the metro into the city and walk the rest of the way. Having my car close by in the parking garage just isn't worth the effort to get it into the parking garage!!

I am trying to convenience myself...no more driving long distances...and to cancel appointments if they are far away and the weather is bad...unless I have someone to drive with me.
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-16-2006, 04:44 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Driving

I have had to cut down on my driving. I still drive to work but don't like yo drive at night or in the city (in my case New York). I keep an eye on the weather and if it starts to snow I immediate go home. At this time of the year I leave work at about 4. Driving in the rain during the day doesn't seem to bother me.

All the best,

Lloyd
burckle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:32 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Driving off or dyskinesic

Hi Carolyn,
I'm sure difficult driving conditions can make us more symptomatic but the problems I had and which made driving such a huge dilemna were related to "offs" and dyskinesia.
Before DBS (almost 3 yrs ago) I could go "off" at the drop of a hat.
It became more and more unpredictable and when "on" the dyskinesias were (mostly) just as disabling.
Having 3 children in 3 different schools and living in a semi rural area with limited public transport I would sometimes drive dyskinesic but if I was "off" there was no way I would or for that matter could drive.
Anyway saw your previous post re querying DBS and the above pretty well sums up how life for me was before I had DBS.
Post DBS and since we're discussing driving it's yet another example of one of the many things I can do now anytime without fear of going off or becoming dyskinesic.
Cheers,
Lee
made it up is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 06:02 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I still drive but am alot more defensive..I think it has made me a better driver..

I dont like heavy chaotic rush hour traffic, and try to avoid that if possible
Old 11-16-2006, 08:00 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I Ride when I can

A year ago I had to renew my drivers license. We only have to fill out a form and take an eye test. The lady saw my hand shaking said they wouldn't renew it without a doctor's release. After my DBS I went to an Occupational Thereapist to be evaluated. I ranked in the top 25% of all people in my age group in reaction time and in mental awareness. I had to take a drivng test and the only thing he commented on was I didn't drive at a steady pace as my foot had a slight tremor from the stress.

My daughter lives in the duplex below me and works at the same place so she drives nearly all the time. I don't like to drive at night or long periods of time. I did drive on two trips this summer each about 2 hours. I know my limitations and won't drive if I feel I could be a danger to others.
DaleD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:54 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I already restrict my own driving

Each of us should regularly and honestly evaluate our own driving abilities. For the most part, we know what we can handle and what we can't. I've already given up night driving, unless it's to familiar and nearby places. I only drive on the expressway in the middle of the day when traffic is light. Having trucks barreling down on me or alongside of me make me very nervous. I am defiitely slower and more cautious.

My father-in-law had Parkinson's when I first met him. One of the saddest days was when there was a family intervention to take his car keys away. I still can see the anger and pain he felt at this humiiation and loss of independence. I hope I will relinquish my car keys before my husband and sons have to take them. Better yet, I hope there's a cure soon so that none of us have to be in this position.

Sheryl
SherylJ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:17 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Driving what?

I still drive my wife crazy.

I still drive a hard bargain.

I can still drive a nail.

I can still drive a point home.

I can drive a golf ball about 280 yards (if it gets a good roll).

I can even install a driver on my computer.

I just renewed my driving license on Wednesday with my neuro's approval. I did , however, get him to include on the form that I should be reevaluated after 2 years. I don't drive while under the influence of Requip anymore, and I try to avoid driving while off. My driving has definitely gotten worse in the past 9 months, and I might have to reevaluate myself soon. I hope I know when it is time to quit.

michael
michael7733 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:56 AM #8
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default a wise man told me

not to drive -not to do something that may hurt myself or hurt a child...

so after taking mirapex -which was a bad drug for me, as
I experienced sleep attacks and mind altering effects,

I do not drive

but to those who do, I must say -"be careful"

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:14 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Almost all of my driving is with someone else in the car with me, or short, daylight trips in town. I don't drive on the freeway unless traffic is really light. I don't drive on a rainy night, period. And my wife is getting fed up with being the chauffer.

The driving with someone else is because of the Mirapex-sponsored sleep-attacks, the not driving at night is becaused I get too confused about which light is which, especially when the glare on the wet surface totally obscures the painted lines. And, when I get tired I get double-vision, which doen't help anything. This sort of stuff is the real part of the life of Parkinson's that gets to us. I feel especially sorry for those among us that show little or no tremor; the tremor serves as a ready sign of what is going on and you don't have to face disbelieving stares when you try to explain that you fell down because of PD, not alcohol.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:48 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Driving..

I am one of the "lucky ones" because I no longer have to drive to earn a living. From closely reading this thread I see several things that have already been said from those above.
The first thing about driving is that we must become our own "honest judge" about it. The harming of anyone else should be on the top of our minds. If you have ANY reservations about your abilities, then don't drive; however the drugs we take can cloud our judgement just like alcohol, so be aware of this.
If it weren't for my wife, than my driving would be limited to an hour or a half an hour a week just to get food, or go to a doctor's appointment. She shlepps the kids around and does most of the shopping, so I am dependent on her, and she's pretty tired of it.
Since I am a hypomotor parkie, no problem getting my drivers licence revalidated. A hint here is to become a member of AAA. They renew driver's licenses without nearly the same rigor that the state operated places do. Often they just take your picture and in five minutes , you're outa there; no questions asked, and usually no waiting.
If you can't stand the idea of not being able to drive, you'll have to rely on somebody else, because there is no getting around it once you have reached a certain stage in the PD process. For five years after DX, I could still drive , even for short periods on the highway, now I have to be medicated just right, and that is a fleeting proposition. If one starts wild dyskinesia in the middle of tough traffic, it scares the bejesus out of you, it's the combination of stress and inability to keep your feet on the brake and gas with smooth movements. If you go off, you can barely move the steering wheel. If your eyelids get droopy, you (or some unlucky bystander will be asking to see Saint Peter.
So, unfortunately, driving has become a big part of modern life, and we get to the point where we just can't do much of it safely anymore .
Them's the brakes, or is it the gas, and God help you if you've got a manual transmission . This PD thing really is a viscious critter, ain't it?
ol'cs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote