Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 12-13-2008, 09:53 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Crazy Help understanding MRI results

I recently had an MRI done and when I went to the doctor to get the results I was pretty much told that I had to take some time off work. I was given Neurontin and pain pills and told to come back if things got worse. I was not given an explanation on the results and was wondering if someone on here could help. I will copy the results as I cannot think of an easier way to word it.

The L5/S1 disc annulus demonstrates broad based posterior bulge with a superimposed posterior central protuberance, without effacement of the thecal sac or spinal root sheath. The lateral foramina are narrowed to a mild degree only and the exiting L5 nerve root sheaths are not effaced.
The L4/5 annulus demonstrates broad based posterior bulge also, with slightly more prominent posterior central component that causes mild deformation of the anterior marginal thecal sac. There is no significant lateral stenosis at this level.
The L3/4 disc annulus demonstrates minimal circumferential bulge without stenosis. The L2/3 level and above demonstrates no stenosis.

Sorry for the amount of reading and I hope somone can help me to understand these results.

Jodie
jtaylor is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-15-2008, 06:39 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I can't really read your MRI because I am not a doctor. But I can read between the lines. If he gave you pain meds and told you to come back if it gets worse then do just that. Take your pain meds and go back to him if it gets worse just like he said. I've seen your type of MRI results alot on another forum. If he didn't mention surgery then he doesn't believe at this point that surgery would be very helpful for you condition. But he wants to see if you improve or if it worsens. Did he give you any restrictions like not lifting anything heavy? Or any exercises to try or not try? You could ask him at your next visit.
treeves is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:06 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

[QUOTE=jtaylor;426064]I recently had an MRI done and when I went to the doctor to get the results I was pretty much told that I had to take some time off work. I was given Neurontin and pain pills and told to come back if things got worse. I was not given an explanation on the results and was wondering if someone on here could help. I will copy the results as I cannot think of an easier way to word it.

The L5/S1 disc annulus demonstrates broad based posterior bulge with a superimposed posterior central protuberance, without effacement of the thecal sac or spinal root sheath. The lateral foramina are narrowed to a mild degree only and the exiting L5 nerve root sheaths are not effaced.
The L4/5 annulus demonstrates broad based posterior bulge also, with slightly more prominent posterior central component that causes mild deformation of the anterior marginal thecal sac. There is no significant lateral stenosis at this level.
The L3/4 disc annulus demonstrates minimal circumferential bulge without stenosis. The L2/3 level and above demonstrates no stenosis.

not a doctor but have heard it desribed over and over

L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1 - Lumbar spine - low back; S - sacral spine like your tailbone

Broad - Size -- either small, moderate or broad bulge or other size descriptive term

Posterior - backside of your spine

Bulge - A bulge is on your disc(soft tissue; not your vertebrae(bone) a bulge is like a knot on a tire. not herniated. Herniated broke through the annulus of a disc -

"without" effacement is a good thing - the bulge did not indent the thecal sac

Annulus is the tough outer ring of your disc

"No" stenosis is a great thing. Stenosis is narrowing of the area described. Radiologist is just describing what he sees so your doctor can make a treatment plan based on these things.

mild deformation of the anterior marginal thecal sac - not sure, but it's mild - sounds congential -

just describing anything from the normal as a finding. doesn't mean it's bad. it's just a finding and therefore the radiologist has to describe it.

Using words like "without" and "no" just tells the doctor what it's not too. that's also important to a treatment plan and for your benefit that a radiologist describes these things to your doctor in these ways.

Hope it helps some.
(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:56 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I would call that doctor back and ask for an explanation of the MRI. To be put on those medications without understanding why is not something I would put up with. If they aren't willing to do that go somewhere else for a second opinion. Neurontin isn't a drug just to take and then quit either. It is for nerve pain. Keep asking for clarification so you know what you are dealing with and can make educated decisions.
julie'sfoot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:12 AM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Need Help Understanding MRI

Hi, i had an MRI and i don't understand it. I had my MRI done and we were in the process of moving to a new town and i got my MRI results back on the day we left and haven't had a chance to have a Dr interpret them. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Facet Hypertrophy at L4-5 and L5-S1with resulting bilateral neural foraminal stenosis at L5-S1 left greater than right.
CHRISTYJ2876 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:28 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Facet Hypertrophy at L4-5 and L5-S1with resulting bilateral neural foraminal stenosis at L5-S1 left greater than right.[/QUOTE]

L - lumbar spine area and S - sacral area. It is a hypertrophy of spinal facet joints, usually due to normal ageing process. The hypertrophy can cause back pain for some persons and decrease the flexibility of the spine. The foraminal stenosis means that there is a pressure on a nerve passing from spine In a broader sense it means a disk degeneration: protrusion-bulg, disk flattening. If the MRI was done, perhaps you had any radiculopathy or sciatica symptoms Good luck.

Adomas
adomas is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:53 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adomas View Post
Facet Hypertrophy at L4-5 and L5-S1with resulting bilateral neural foraminal stenosis at L5-S1 left greater than right.
L - lumbar spine area and S - sacral area. It is a hypertrophy of spinal facet joints, usually due to normal ageing process. The hypertrophy can cause back pain for some persons and decrease the flexibility of the spine. The foraminal stenosis means that there is a pressure on a nerve passing from spine In a broader sense it means a disk degeneration: protrusion-bulg, disk flattening. If the MRI was done, perhaps you had any radiculopathy or sciatica symptoms Good luck.

Adomas[/QUOTE]

I also have an MRI question and since there are some good responses here, perhaps I can get an opinion from someone as well.

I will just list the impression unless someone wants the other info:

Multilevel degenerative changes of the cervical spine, most prominent at C3-4 and C5-6 where there is a significant central canal stenosis with cord contact and flattening. Multilevel neural foraminal stenosis as described above. Correlate with symptoms in these distributions.

I cannot get the MD to explain this to me. I really want to know what this means so that I have a better idea of why I am feeling the way that I do.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provided.
dazedandconfused is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:51 AM #8
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default I think--

dazedandconfused--you're going to need an independent doctor, most likely an orthopedic spine surgeon, to examine those MRI's because just from where I'm siting, it sounds serious.

Worker's comp docs are all too often in thrall to the people who pay their fees, meaning you won't get an honest read out of them in serious cases. This may be a situation in which a consult with personal injury lawyers (who may also have their own doctors on retainer) would be advisable, assuming you got this from work injury.

What the MRI means, basically, is due to degenerative changes of disc and possibly also of bone spurring, you have cord compression at least at two cervical levels. Cord compression is nothing to play with--if it gets severe enough it can cause symptoms from the levels it's at all the way down, to bowels and legs, enough to cause even paralysis if the compression is severe enough. Cord compression is usually considered an urgent surgical priority--the pressuring elements need to be released and the pressure relieved.

If you are having symptoms of bowel/bladder control, motor weakness, etc., you need to consult independent doctors now.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote