Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 11-17-2006, 02:52 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Unhappy Please help

I had surgery today. They found a ruptured ovarian cyst. I cried for hours before the surgery. I was that scared. They were good, but wouldn't let Kevin go to the operating room with me, and I was totally terrified.

Anyway, I got home. They didn't give me any pain meds, so have had a few tylenol with no effect. I went to bed and suddenly got very scared, darkness? A bad week? Who knows.

Well, finally I got through that, and for the last few hours every time I try to doze I wake up not being able to breathe. What's with that? I am afraid to go to sleep. I somehow managed to get into the living room and to the couch. It hurts, but I can handle it, at least for now. I would like to sleep, however.

Any suggestions?

mama
mamafigure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-17-2006, 03:05 AM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Lightbulb you maybe having panic attacks

dear mamafigure,
I experienced similiar reaction after a umbilical hernia opperation,
did they put you under anesthesia?
if you can call your doctor they usually have an emergency number/ or
an live answering service, try to take deep relaxing breaths -
or have your loved one take you to the
ER - they may be able to help you quickly to feel better
(((hugs)))

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:18 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks.

With my fear of hosptals, the ER is not where I can go. Perhaps I will mention it to the dr tomorrow. I just didn't know if it justified asking, since I have been downright crazy over this surgery.

Mama
Old 11-17-2006, 04:07 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Mama...

I think that Tena is correct. A massive anxiey attack. The only other medical reasons for feeling like you "can't breath", are when blood clots, or fluid occlude the major airways in the lungs.
You should be given some valium right away, even by injection if you are that bad. Once they have stabilized your heart rate and your breathing clears, you can discuss pain management. Now here you must tread lightly; many doctors try to give inneffecive pain meds because they don't want to prescribe narcotics. But if you need a short course of narcotics . you need it. Narcotics do slow the breathing response however.
I can't tell you anything more because i'm no doctor; but I really have a gut feeling that Tena is right about anxiety. Anxiety has been known to mimic many severe bodily reactions, especially the "can't breathe" thing.
Please don't be so afraid mama; we are ALL afraid of things when they don't go as planned. You MUST get your own mind together by repeating "there is no life threatening problem here, there is no life threatening problem here", over and over. Use self healing thought to at least help you out until you see your doctor. It is the only thing that has ever worked for me, even in the face of a really dire physical or mental states.
For what it's worth, God be with you and may God be close to you, and "coach" you through this difficult time. cs
ol'cs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:10 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Cs, thank-you. I don't think that I am dying, but sometimes wish that I would. Yesterday was horrible, even though I have no right to complain. I will wait it out and try to talk with someone after offices open. I may ask for some pain meds, too, as that was a misunderstanding. I said that I was allergic to most, not that I didn't want any.

Thanks for the blessings,
mama
Old 11-17-2006, 06:12 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

((((((Mama)))))),

They should have given you something for pain relief -- even just a week's worth. That's unconscionable.

If you were under general anesthesia, there's probably some still in your system that could be affecting your breathing.

You've been given good advice about seeing your doctor or calling him to discuss this.

When I had my laparascopic surgery for endometriosis, one of the stitches fell out on the way home. I was bleeding real heavy. Called my doctor and he told me what to do.

In the meantime, try sleeping up on two pillows and keep a nightlight on in the room. Some of what you're experiencing might be after-panic from the anesthetic. Try turning the radio on real low to either classical music or soft jazz -- let it play all night. The sounds will comfort you while you're sleeping.

You might want to talk with the anesthesiologist and find out what they gave you for a sedating drug and have a note entered in your record that you didn't react well to it. They can give you other things that don't cause so much havoc to your system.

Interesting thing about anesthetics -- I used to have really horrid reactions to them. I'd be so depressed and suicidal when I woke up after surgery that they'd actually have to keep me in the hospital two days longer. My Mom had cancer surgery (her first surgery when she was about 74). She took a knife to the nurse who tried to take her temperature It was the same anesthetic. Needless to say, it's now in my records that they use some other drug.

Sugar, you've done the hard part. And you COPED. You struggled and you cried. But you COPED. You've been very brave. Now, comes the time for taking care of yourself and healing yourself.

Sounds like you've got some 'issues' around doctors and hospitals. You might want to make an appointment for half a dozen sessions with a psychiatrist/psychologist to work out where all that fear is coming from. Doesn't mean that there's a darn thing wrong with you -- just means that there's something that causes you a lot of stress. Might be a good idea to figure out why so you can do something about it.

BIG HUGS. Nighty-night -- don't let the bed-bugs bite!! My Daddy used to say that to me every night before I went to sleep. I hope it works as well for you as it did for me. It will, if you realize the affection that's behind it

Barb
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:35 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Moose,
My husband says that every night to our daughter.

I wasn't brave, and I was so ashamed of crying in front of my middle daughter and the staff. I don't cry in front of people.

I have talked out the issues with a counselor, but it didn't do much good. I was shaking and crying.

My husband is upset that I didn't take the versed. I couldn't. Now I have the memories to haunt me, though.

I think that I must have slept a little in the last two hours. Soon it will be daylight.

Mama
Old 11-17-2006, 09:31 AM #8
ex-Member

15 yr Member
ex-Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafigure View Post
I had surgery today. They found a ruptured ovarian cyst. I cried for hours before the surgery. I was that scared. They were good, but wouldn't let Kevin go to the operating room with me, and I was totally terrified.

Anyway, I got home. They didn't give me any pain meds, so have had a few tylenol with no effect. I went to bed and suddenly got very scared, darkness? A bad week? Who knows.

Well, finally I got through that, and for the last few hours every time I try to doze I wake up not being able to breathe. What's with that? I am afraid to go to sleep. I somehow managed to get into the living room and to the couch. It hurts, but I can handle it, at least for now. I would like to sleep, however.

Any suggestions?

mama
Difficulty in breathing is asthma. Asthma has a variety of causes, one of which is TYLENOL - the drug you took just before the breathing difficulty began :

http://www.juiceguy.com/Tylenol-may-cause-asthma.shtml

The effects of asthma are often worst at night, which is why you can not sleep properly. If you have stopped taking Tylenol then the breathing difficulty should gradually reduce. In the meantime, well ventilated rooms can help. You could also ask your doctor for an inhaler if the breathing difficulty is bad.
Daffy Duck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:18 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I do have asthma, but didn't know that about tylenol.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:17 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Anxiety attacks

Dear Mamafigure, first of all I am very glad that you didn't follow my advice and avoid surgery - some things really do require surgery, and an ovarian cyst is certainly something that needs attention. You must have been in such pain!!
I know I was, I've been there and done that too.
I think, like others above, that you had or are having typical anxiety attacks. One thing I've found helpful is to drink water very, very slowly, one little mouthful at a time. It seems to open the restriction you feel in the chest.
And make the doctor give you pain meds. that work.
The very best wishes,

birte
BEMM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote