advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 10:12 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hands getting worse?

I seem to be having more trouble with my hands...especially the left. I can't feel my fingers if I keep them in the same position for any length of time. The small jerks in both hands keep me from doing what I loved second to fishing...drawing or painting.

A friend called today and wanted me to do a watercolor for a family member for a Christmas present from her. I don't know if I will be able to get it done before Christmas.

MS seems to take so much from us and gives us little in return. In just a few short years I seem to be adjusting to one more thing. I should be angry, I should have 'pore ole me' syndrome. Actually I just realize with a very small tad of sadness that I must once again adjust to the unfairness of the disease.

I am not a saint, I'm just like you and many others, I have a disease that is slowly taking away parts of my physical life. Adjusting is the hardest, giving more and more to the disease. However, with all the things it has taken, it has given other things. A new extended family that understands, knows what it is, how it works and are very caring...even when we feel most alone.

I will find a way to do what my friend asked, she would understand without question if I told her I wasn't able to do as she asked. She would be upset, but she wouldn't tell me I was being selfish or any of the other things most people would say.

When one more thing is taken away, we have to find ways to complete the tasks that once was so easy. We adjust, we keep on living, most of the time keeping silent to family/friends and most importantly we do our best to stay positive. That is sometimes hardest of all, to remain positive, to find thankfulness is a disease that is ruthless in its destruction. It makes it extremely hard to find the positive when there seems to be so much of the opposite. I tell myself it could be worse knowing that it truly could be.

How will I complete this task with the numbness and the unsteadyness of hands? I truly have no idea, but I will find a way...and why I'm looking for my way in this disease...I will always say a small prayer that you will find your way also. That you find ways to keep doing those things that bring you joy and in doing so...defeat the monster one more time.

It might be a small victory, but remember, it is still a victory and sometimes it takes many small victories to beat an entire army.

Take Care and remember to do something good for yourself. Take a few minutes each day to relax, and enjoy the smallest of life's pleasures. The changing color of a maple tree, the laughter of a child, the way a bird soars on the wind, or the knowledge that people you have never met are standing behind you...

Just like a Verizon commercial...there, yet unseen, saying a prayer, and wishing you well. A victory no matter how small is still one more defeat for an enemy.
Momma's Kids is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
azoyizes (12-16-2008), barb02 (12-16-2008), CayoKay (12-16-2008), Debbie D (12-16-2008), Desinie (12-15-2008), dmplaura (12-15-2008), FinLady (12-16-2008), Jomar (12-16-2008), Kitty (12-16-2008), SallyC (12-16-2008), seara (12-16-2008), soxmom (12-16-2008), Twinkletoes (12-22-2008)

advertisement
Old 12-15-2008, 11:33 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm saying a prayer for you too,Momma. I hope your hands give you a break tomorrow.

Last edited by Desinie; 12-16-2008 at 01:59 AM.
Desinie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:42 PM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Like you, artwork is 1 thing that I used to do a lot of, and over time it got harder to produce the same quality of work due to varying factors (pain in the hands, numbness, slight tremors).

You'll get the watercolor done, and it will be gorgeous!
05/2008 - Relapse
05/2008 to 02/2009 - Copaxone
10/2011 - Relapse - Optic Neuritis developed
9/2012 - Relapse - Balance issues 1 sided
8/2012 - Erythema Nodosum - diagnosed 10/2012, reaction to Topiramate (Topamax)
April 7/14 - Raynaud's Syndrome DX
dmplaura is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 AM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Momma I'm so sorry you're having these problems with your hands. I think if I was an artist like you are, then I'd treasure my hands above other things.

I do commiserate.

I was once a champion tournament bowler who can no longer bowl because MS took that away from me, and I was once a cake decorator, but MS took that away from me as well.....

I certainly understand Momma, and I do so hope that your hands soon recover. Sending you some supporting hugs....

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:02 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

What a beautiful post.....touching and heartfelt. Thank you for sharing. As hard as it may be at times, as much as this disease can take away from you, like a blind person who's other senses become hightened after loosing sight, there is hightened awareness being born as well. I'm so glad you can find the positive side of all this. I am in awe of how you and others deal on a daily basis.....and it gives me hope. Thank you.....from the bottom of my heart!

xoxox
seara
seara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:24 AM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

some GREAT BIG HUGSSSSSSS heading your way for the holiday season...I hear ya...many feel ya....we adore you and your good attitude on a way to handle what we are given no matter what happens in life..hugss,sarah

KEEP SMILING, LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WEAR A FROWN!!
sabimax is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:36 AM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Thanks, Momma. You have such a talent for writing...you should write a book.

I've been having an increase of sx on my right side....it's always my right side....and my leg has been giving me fits for a couple of weeks. Spasticity is so painful and I've started taking my Baclofen again even though I hate taking meds. I have permanent damage to my right hand (numbness) from an attack last year. I've gotten some use back but it's still numb and lately has been very painful.

I hope you feel better soon. I hate it that MS has taken so much away from so many of us. But, I can't complain too much....I have wonderful children who care about me and would do anything for me. What more could I ask for?

We'll make it.....I think of the obstacles others face and sometimes I feel ashamed for whining about my troubles. Others troubles seem so much worse....but I guess we take what we're given and try to make the best of it.

You're a blessing to this board, Momma. I look forward to your posts 'cos sometimes it seems like you've written them just for me!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
barb02 (12-16-2008), FinLady (12-16-2008), SallyC (12-16-2008), Twinkletoes (12-22-2008)
Old 12-16-2008, 08:54 AM #8
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Prayers going out to you...I love how you make lemonade out of the lemons life has given you...
take care, and know that you're not alone...
Old 12-16-2008, 08:55 AM #9
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

thank you Momma..........you are a treasure.

soxmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
FinLady (12-16-2008)
Old 12-16-2008, 11:54 AM #10
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Momma, that was powerful. I think it's good to give yourself a goal to work for, even though it is more of a struggle than it used to be. You are truly an inspiration to us all!

azoyizes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote