Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 12:54 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default What can I do?

Cedric went out for a while earlier and came back with a cut (it's not a bad one thankfully) on the inside of his ear and he stinks something awful. Not sure if he was fighting or getting a bit too friendly with one of the strays around here but he was definitly sprayed. He seems okay otherwise, moving kind of slow but no visible damage except for the ear.

I have brushed him, used a couple wet cat bath wipes, even sprinkled powder on him then brushed again...I just can't get rid of that smell! There is no way I'm even going to attempt to give him a bath...I don't think I'd survive LOL What can I do? Just wait it out and it'll go away? He wants to cuddle and I can't back away fast enough.

Also, any suggestions on how I can train him to become an indoor cat? I have a feeling he was at one time. He does really well inside, but then insists on going out for a while. I hate letting him out and worry that he'll come back injured from a fight or worse.

Susan

Dx'd RRMS July 2007

suzyqz_2007 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (12-23-2008), Kitty (12-23-2008), SandyC (12-23-2008)

advertisement
Old 12-23-2008, 01:19 AM #2
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I think you can retrain him if he was an indoor cat. I bought scat mats years ago and they work really good for training a pet to not go in a certain spot like counter tops, couches, front doors. They let off a little shock, nothing painful, I know I tried it out. It's just enough to make them back away. Maybe those would work to lay by the door he goes out and he'll want to stay in more? Just google Scat Mats for pets. I still use mine on the counters at night because Rick is a stinker about jumping on them when I'm not looking. He's so trained that when he sees the mat come out he turns and walks away. Is Cedric fixed? If not, maybe get him fixed. That may help if he's wanting to get out.

Did Cedric possibly get into it with a skunk? Does he have his rabies shot up to date? If so, he should be fine but if not you may want to take him in to be checked. I've heard tomato juice, vinegar or honey is something to try. Maybe put it on a wash rag and wipe him down? If it wasn't a skunk I am not sure but at this point I am sure your willing to try anything even if it wasn't a skunk. There is a spray you can buy called Skunk Off that has been given great reviews. Maybe call the pet store or vet and ask them? Better yet, maybe take him to the vet and let them bathe him?

Whatever you do, good luck!
Doody (12-23-2008), Kitty (12-23-2008)
Old 12-23-2008, 01:24 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks Sandy...he doesn't get up on anything but the bed and he has his own blanket that he lays on. I will look those up though, putting them just outside the door is a great idea. It wasn't a skunk (I had a dog once that was sprayed by a skunk and whew that was terrible!) this is just as though he was sprayed by another cat, possibly a male he was fighting with? Not sure.....but I'm going to try to wash him down with a warm wash cloth, he doesn't mind that or brushing, maybe that'll help.

Dx'd RRMS July 2007

"Thanks for this!" says:
SandyC (12-23-2008)
Old 12-23-2008, 01:33 AM #4
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Whew! A skunk could take weeks to get rid of! lol Those mats will work great to keep him in I am sure. You can buy several and hook them up together too. I love mine. If you get one and need extra mats to attach I have a few you can have.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:51 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks bunches Sandy!

Dx'd RRMS July 2007

"Thanks for this!" says:
SandyC (12-23-2008)
Old 12-23-2008, 07:36 AM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Good luck with Cedric! I'd never heard of the Scat Mats before but they sound great....I'd definitely give them a try.

That cat spray smell is awful and the hardest thing to get rid of. Sounds like he might have gotten into another cats territory!
If you can manage to keep him indoors he'll get used to it after a while. It's hard to break the habit of wanting to go outside, though. It takes patience. Thanks for taking care of him....he's a lucky little kitty!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SandyC (12-23-2008)