Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 11-19-2006, 01:02 PM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Social Security Disabiltiy...Driving, etc.

reverett123 asked in the Driving thread..."...if it is truly unsafe for one to drive, is that grounds for filing disability with the SSA? I am self employed in a rural area and am still able to drive most of the time. But because i have no employer to tell me to turn in my keys, that's going to be a judgement call on my part. It would be easier to make if starving wasn't part of the equation."

There is lots of reading available about SS Disability.

Definition of Disability under SS

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disabi...neral-info.htm
For all individuals applying for disability benefits under title II, and for adults applying under title XVI, the definition of disability is the same. The law defines disability as the inability to engage in any substantial gainful activity by reason of any medically determinable physical or mental impairment(s) which can be expected to result in death or which has lasted or can be expected to last for a continuous period of not less than 12 months.

Find An Answer to Your Question

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...earch_nl&go=Go
How does Social Security decide if I am disabled?
Disability under Social Security for an adult is based on your inability to work because of a medical condition. To be considered disabled:

* You must be unable to do work you did before and we decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of a medical condition. (I was an administrator/office work when I applied.)

* Your disability must last or be expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.

Social Security pays only for total disability. No benefits are payable for partial disability or short-term disability.

For adults, we use a five-step evaluation process to decide whether you are disabled under Social Security. The process considers any current work activity you are doing, and your medical condition and how it affects your ability to work. For more information, we recommend that you read the publication, Disability Benefits (SSA Publication No. 05-10029)

What is the difference between Social Security disability and SSI disability?

The Social Security Administration is responsible for two major programs that provide benefits based on disability: Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), which is based on prior work under Social Security, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Under SSI, payments are made on the basis of financial need.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is financed with Social Security taxes paid by workers, employers, and self-employed persons. To be eligible for a Social Security benefit, the worker must earn sufficient credits based on taxable work to be "insured" for Social Security purposes. Disability benefits are payable to blind or disabled workers, widow(er)s, or adults disabled since childhood, who are otherwise eligible. The amount of the monthly disability benefit is based on the Social Security earnings record of the insured worker.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a program financed through general revenues. SSI disability benefits are payable to adults or children who are disabled or blind, have limited income and resources, meet the living arrangement requirements, and are otherwise eligible. The monthly payment varies up to the maximum federal benefit rate, which may be supplemented by the State or decreased by countable income and resources. See http://www.socialsecurity.gov/notice...efits-ussi.htm for an explanation of SSI benefit payment rates.
Disability Evaluation Under Social Security
(Blue Book- June 2006)

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disabi...nals/bluebook/

Listing of Impairments - Adult Listings (Part A)
11.00 Neurological - Adult

Read 11.00, then click on 11.06

11.06 Parkinsonian syndrome
with the following signs: Significant rigidity, bradykinesia, or tremor in two extremities, which, singly or in combination, result in sustained disturbance of gross and dexterous movements, or gait and station.

pinkline.gif

The biggest problem with filing for SS Disaibility is that every state is diffenent. In my experience, I first filed in Florida. After a year I was still waiting just for a reply from SS.

Then I moved to NYS, where I had to re-file. Within two weeks of their receipt of my application...without an attorney, which is not always needed...I had a letter stating I was to report for a SS physical exam in two weeks. Within a month of the exam I had my award letter.
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement