advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 09:56 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hormones

hello,

I have recently been researching bio-identical hormones in the hopes of mitigating perimenopause symptoms that are quite amazing strong! While reading up on the subject, I wondered if our lack of certain hormones as we age contribute to the development of PN? Does anyone know? I am going to an MD in Los Angeles (http://www.thehallcenter.com) to balance my hormones and I wonder if they can help the PN too.

This Dr. gives IV vitamin treatments (b12 and c) etc., can't wait to try them. I'd love some feedback from others on the hormone connection and pn. I know my PN has seemed to flare since I started on the perimenopause merry go round.

Ann
ann-elizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-02-2009, 01:51 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm female, 52. Idiopathic PN since 2005. Last year I had new flares all over my body. My breast had a burning pains for severals weeks and also some other new pains. I asked my neuro if it had any connection to menapause. His answer was that during menapause, things become worse in almost every illness. He doesn't know why. I think the right answer is that our hormones are not as the used to be. The cycle is not working anymore - so it might influence many things in our body, including methabolism and many other things - and all these - influence our neuropathy.
Try to relax, do yoga and meditation. it helps a lot.
I found pilates as one of the things that help me.
amit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ann-elizabeth (01-02-2009)
Old 01-02-2009, 09:01 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann-elizabeth View Post
hello,

I have recently been researching bio-identical hormones in the hopes of mitigating perimenopause symptoms that are quite amazing strong! While reading up on the subject, I wondered if our lack of certain hormones as we age contribute to the development of PN? Does anyone know? I am going to an MD in Los Angeles (http://www.thehallcenter.com) to balance my hormones and I wonder if they can help the PN too.

This Dr. gives IV vitamin treatments (b12 and c) etc., can't wait to try them. I'd love some feedback from others on the hormone connection and pn. I know my PN has seemed to flare since I started on the perimenopause merry go round.

Ann
If you are going to do IV --I'd recommend they put glutathione in there. This often is very helpful for people with neuro issues. And recently glutathione IV has helped people with fluroquinolone toxicity/reactions.

I'd get a list of what is in the IV you get, post it here. Then we can see what is really helping you.
Most of the people I've met who have had IV supplements have liked them.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ann-elizabeth (01-02-2009)
Old 01-03-2009, 11:50 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have read that progesterone can be helpful with PN. And I think I read it in one of my "female" hormone books. My OB/GYN basically stated that just about everything get worse for women during this time period. But then I have one or two friends who sailed through menopause.

If I find the reference, I'll post it.

Please update us on how this goes.

Marlene
Marlene is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:47 PM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
I have read that progesterone can be helpful with PN. And I think I read it in one of my "female" hormone books. My OB/GYN basically stated that just about everything get worse for women during this time period. But then I have one or two friends who sailed through menopause.

If I find the reference, I'll post it.

Please update us on how this goes.

Marlene
I am one of those with an easy menopause.
I did get a bit foggy....but the SAMe I was starting fixed that.
I do alot of supplements so that may be a reason too.
The worst thing was sleeping...

I did not do any hormones.

Some women get hair loss on progesterone. A friend of mine has terrible migraines, and it really helped those, but the losing hair won in the end.

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:43 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I am seeing him on

January 12th. I can't wait and have high hopes. I will be doing the glutathione IV and I will let you know how it goes.

Ann
ann-elizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:09 PM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Thumbs up Good luck...

I think it will help.

Let us know!

Old 01-03-2009, 10:43 PM #8
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default It couldn't hurt to ask?

but peri-meno and beyond...the thyroid can be a culprit.
Ask? Hopefully get a a full thyroid panel...including an autoimmune aspect or two. It is not uncommon for thyroid issues to raise their peculiar side effects during this time of life. And, it is one of the easier things medically to fix! It may take some twiggling of the meds to get things just rite for you [it took me about 4 years overall?-but I was changing too], but it's certainly worth the look see.
A lot of PN and other issues overlap often, and it makes things muzzy for any clear and direct diagnoses... but the more things you cross off 'THE LIST'? The better!
Do let us all know, take care in the interim, please. 's - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ann-elizabeth (01-04-2009)
Old 01-04-2009, 11:38 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I found the reference: Book - The estrogen alternative by Raquel Market. She states that " Myelin formation is encouraged by progesterone that is manufactured by Schwann cells in the peripheral nerves from the hormone pregnenolone." " A decline of progesterone production in these cells will impair myelin sheath protection of the nerves".

And on anoher note, sometimes, by taking DHEA and or pregnenolone, you can ease menopause symptoms because pregnenolone is a precurser to all the sex hormones. Hopefully your bio-identical hormone doc will look at those levels as well. The benefit to increaseing DHEA to more youthful levels, as well as pregnenolone, is that your body then decides how much and which sex hormones to make. So you may want to read up on these also.

Good point on the thyroid....my sister was alway borderline with thyroid and once her periods stopped, she was experiencing extreme hot flashes. That's when she discovered her thyroid was underfunctioning and they started her on ?synthroid?. She then went on low dose estrogen and found that she needed to modify her thyroid med. So there is definate link to all these hormones. She also dropped all wheat from her diet and says she feels much better in general.
Marlene is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ann-elizabeth (01-04-2009)
Old 01-04-2009, 04:37 PM #10
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hey ann-elizabeth,

I check out your link and its close to me so I may check it out as well.

I tried some more traditional hormonal meds from my GYN and it raised my blood pressure too much.

THere is also two other docs that I can recommend that do similar hormone balancing. One is Santa Monica and one in Bev Hills that has written several books.
watsonsh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote