Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 11-20-2006, 03:05 PM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Early Brain Development Linked To Adult-onset Neurodegenerative Disease

How interesting this item is. To think that we may have been destined to have PD from birth...

Early Brain Development Linked To Adult-onset Neurodegenerative Disease

ScienceDaily

Source: University of Minnesota
Date: November 20, 2006
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1120060417.htm

Researchers at the University of Minnesota's Institute for Human Genetics have shown for the first time that the severity of an adult neurodegenerative disease is tied to how well the brain developed shortly after birth.The researchers used a mouse model for spinocerebellar ataxia type 1 (SCA 1), a fatal neurodegenerative disease that is associated with the loss of coordination that affects activities such as walking, speaking and swallowing. There is no treatment for this disease, and patients typically die 10-15 years after their first symptoms appear.

"We always suspected that something was going on with the SCA 1 mice developmentally," said Harry Orr, Ph.D., professor of genetics, cell biology and development. "Now, we have the data to support it."

The research will appear in the Nov. 17, 2006 issue of the journal Cell.

Orr and his team manipulated the mouse model for the disease so that the gene that causes SCA 1 could be turned on and off.

In one group of mice, they turned off the gene for approximately two weeks at the beginning of the mice's development; then it was turned back on. In the second group of mice, they left the gene on for the entire time.

After 12 weeks, the researchers observed the mice.

"The difference was dramatic," Orr said.

The mice in the group in which the gene was turned off appeared virtually normal, while the mice in the other group had difficulty standing and walking. Orr said that the discovery suggests that in the future, doctors may be able to target treatment to coincide with critical times in development, lessening the impact of a disease in which symptoms take years to appear.

Although SCA 1 appears later in life, it is possible to do genetic screening at birth to determine if a person is at risk for getting the disease in adulthood.

The researchers next will look into the specific molecular pathways involved in early brain development, Orr said. He added that that in the future, research into the proteins and protein expression may be translated into therapeutic approaches.
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-21-2006, 07:06 AM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Smile yes- in some cases this is true

I believe that in my family there was a genetic link
but for those who were exposed to MPTP and other chemicals
that caused RNA and DNA to be altered to a diseased state, maybe destiny
would not imply...
I have seen my dear sister who has Multiple Sclerosis suffer, and I believe
I was given the grace to endure PD, not that I wish to remain ill -
yet until cure or divine intervention or both...
I try to be calm, I try not to over adrenalize, and most of all I still laugh...
so that I can be at peace.
It is in this altered state of mind peace - I do not know whether it's delta waves or what but it is healing, I have many of Dr. Thompson's collection of CD's now - I want my brain to catch the right wave, rhythmn...

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote