advertisement

Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Vitamin D tests by Quest lab

Quest labs has had erroneous Vitamin D tests all over the country in the past 2 years. Very interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/bu...t.html?_r=1&hp
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (01-07-2009)

advertisement
Old 01-07-2009, 09:45 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

"Yet many experts say that even if the tests were accurate, there would still be uncertainty in how to treat patients. There is considerable debate about how much vitamin D is needed and whether vitamin D supplements even prevent various diseases.

Meanwhile, the F.D.A. is considering increasing its role in regulating diagnostic tests. Now, test kits sold to labs, hospitals and doctor’s offices must be approved by the agency. But tests developed and offered by a single laboratory, like the Quest vitamin D test, do not."

I strongly believe that people should not go above what is currently recommended by the FDA, no matter what some "trendy" new study shows.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
DM (01-08-2009)
Old 01-08-2009, 01:38 AM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
I strongly believe that people should not go above what is currently recommended by the FDA, no matter what some "trendy" new study shows.

Cherie
I strongly believe I should not go above what my neurologist and GP have recommended for daily intake of Vitamin D. I let the experts do the math!
05/2008 - Relapse
05/2008 to 02/2009 - Copaxone
10/2011 - Relapse - Optic Neuritis developed
9/2012 - Relapse - Balance issues 1 sided
8/2012 - Erythema Nodosum - diagnosed 10/2012, reaction to Topiramate (Topamax)
April 7/14 - Raynaud's Syndrome DX
dmplaura is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

This is interesting....

I didn't have that test done at Quest (where my gp uses) because I had no insurance so she sent me to the local hospital to have it done. Came back very low. She now has me on 50,000iu's a week for the next 6 months.

I would definitely say go by what the docs tell us....but I am going to question the neuro as well on Friday when I see her.
seara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:54 AM #5
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplaura View Post
I strongly believe I should not go above what my neurologist and GP have recommended for daily intake of Vitamin D. I let the experts do the math!
Fair enough, IF he had you tested at a reliable lab. I'm pretty sure they test differently in Canada (my results were given in a different measurement), so as long as you are deficient, and are being monitored regularly for toxicity, etc. . . I suppose it's all good.

Cherie
Old 01-08-2009, 11:06 AM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Apparently I was not deficient in anything, surprisingly. I just take 1000 IU of D daily.
05/2008 - Relapse
05/2008 to 02/2009 - Copaxone
10/2011 - Relapse - Optic Neuritis developed
9/2012 - Relapse - Balance issues 1 sided
8/2012 - Erythema Nodosum - diagnosed 10/2012, reaction to Topiramate (Topamax)
April 7/14 - Raynaud's Syndrome DX
dmplaura is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:35 PM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I've recently started taking 1000 IU of Vitamin D. What potential harm can excessive Vitamin D cause?
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:58 PM #8
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
I've recently started taking 1000 IU of Vitamin D. What potential harm can excessive Vitamin D cause?
I was recently tested for vitamin D, and was in the “average” category . . . although I suppose that depends on what measurement is being used too. Since I am menopausal, my doc said a MAX of 800 IU (if combined with 1200 - 1500 IU of CALCIUM), would be ok for me.

According to the government sources, healthy levels of vitamin D are considered between 10 – 15 ng/mL (or 25 – 37.5 nmol/L). Excess vitamin D can cause hypercalcemia, hypersensitivity/hyperparathyroidism, sarcoidosis, oat cell carcinoma of the lung, and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Some people do fine with higher levels of vitamin D, and their bodies can process vitamin D taken by supplement . . . yet others can have their liver enzymes go completely out whack only when supplementing (vs. natural methods).

“Vitamin D toxicity can also cause nonspecific symptoms “such as nausea, vomiting, poor appetite, constipation, weakness, and weight loss. More seriously, it can also raise blood levels of calcium, causing mental status changes such as confusion and heart rhythm abnormalities. The use of supplements of both calcium (1,000 mg/day) and vitamin D (400 IU/day) by postmenopausal women was associated with a 17% increase in the risk of kidney stones over 7 years in the Women's Health Initiative . . .”

“Vitamin D supplements have the potential to interact with several types of medications, ie Steroids. Corticosteroid medications such as prednisone, often prescribed to reduce inflammation, can reduce calcium absorption and impair vitamin D metabolism. These effects can further contribute to the loss of bone and the development of osteoporosis associated with their long-term use.”

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp#en13

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitaminDToxicity.shtml

“Vitamin D is viewed as a hormone, a steroid hormone, not a vitamin.” “As with any other hormone, such as thyroid, parathyroid, or growth hormones, dose needs to be individualized.” “I’ve had 98 lb women who require 12,000 units, 300 lb men who require 1000 units, 21-year olds who require 10,000 units.”

“There’s only one way to individualize your need for vitamin D and thereby determine your dose: Measure a blood level.

Nobody can gauge your vitamin D need by looking at you, by your skin color, size, or other simple measurement like weight or body fat. A vitamin D blood level needs to be measured specifically─period.”

http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...ld-i-take.html

Vitamin D myths:

http://bacteriality.com/2007/09/15/vitamind/

Cherie

Last edited by lady_express_44; 01-08-2009 at 11:23 PM. Reason: left out a word
lady_express_44 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote