Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 01-08-2009, 09:22 AM #1
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Default SafeLink Wireless Free Cell Phone Offer...Is It Safe?

I saw a commercial for SafeLink wireless.....it offers a free cell phone and free minutes (68 per month) if you participate in public assistance programs (food stamps, medicaid, section 8 housing, etc.) or receive SSI income.

I went to the website (www.safelinkwireless.com) and had a lot of my questions answered. I called the 800 # and asked if SSDI was a qualifying program and they said it was. It's the only qualifying program I am currently participating in.

The application asks for all your personal information - just as a cellular phone contract would....but there is no contract for this offer. Of course, they want proof that you receive assistance, SSI or SSDI.

Has anyone gotten a free cell phone using this offer and have you had any problems with it? I'm wary of giving my info out to just anyone but the offer sounds good.

Thanks!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

It looks to be in conjunction with the gov..

[SAFELINK WIRELESS® service is U.S. government supported program for Income eligible households provided by TracFone Wireless, Inc. In order to participate in the SAFELINK WIRELESS® service, persons must meet certain eligibility requirements set by each State where the service is to be provided. These requirements are based on a person’s participation in a state or Federal support programs or by meeting the Income Poverty Guidelines as defined by the U.S. Government. SAFELINK WIRELESS® service is limited to one person per household.]

&
[
Lifeline Benefits

Lifeline Assistance is part of a program that was created by the government to provide discounted or free telephone service to income-eligible consumers. To help bring you this important benefit, SafeLink Wireless is proud to offer Lifeline Service. Through our Lifeline Service you will receive FREE cellular service, a FREE cell phone, and FREE Minutes every month! SafeLink Wireless Service does not cost anything – there are no contracts, no recurring fees and no monthly charges.

Any Minutes you do not use will roll-over. Features such as caller ID, call waiting and voicemail are all also included with your service. If you need additional Minutes, you can buy TracFone Airtime Cards at any TracFone retailer Walmart, Walgreens, Family Dollar, etc). SafeLink Airtime Cards will be available soon.

Your exact benefits, including the number of free Minutes you will receive, depend on the state you live in. Please enter your ZIP code to get the details for your state.]

Since it is though or with TracFone - it is a known brand affiliation
so I think it is a safe thing.

FAQs -
https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...ublic/faq.aspx
"Thanks for this!" says:
DVORA65 (08-28-2011), Kitty (01-14-2009)
Old 01-19-2009, 07:47 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I have one

Yes I have a phone from safelink wireless . Its legit. I got it in about a week and they add minutes on the first of every month. The minutes you dont use roll over. I rarely use mine except for emergencies. The original phone I got was stolen along with my purse once and they replaced the phone and were very nice about it. Its definatly worth it.
rbrooks9 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DVORA65 (08-28-2011), Kitty (01-20-2009)
Old 01-19-2009, 08:25 PM #4
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
I saw a commercial for SafeLink wireless.....it offers a free cell phone and free minutes (68 per month) if you participate in public assistance programs (food stamps, medicaid, section 8 housing, etc.) or receive SSI income.

I went to the website (www.safelinkwireless.com) and had a lot of my questions answered. I called the 800 # and asked if SSDI was a qualifying program and they said it was. It's the only qualifying program I am currently participating in.

The application asks for all your personal information - just as a cellular phone contract would....but there is no contract for this offer. Of course, they want proof that you receive assistance, SSI or SSDI.

Has anyone gotten a free cell phone using this offer and have you had any problems with it? I'm wary of giving my info out to just anyone but the offer sounds good.

Thanks!

Wow, I just checked and the website said it's coming soon to NEW YORK!!!

Holy Cow.

Thanks for the info

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (01-20-2009)
Old 01-20-2009, 12:27 AM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I applied and was approved! I should be getting my phone in about 10 days!! Yippee!! One more thing I can take off my "to be paid" list and add to my savings! I was paying for a cell phone through AT&T Mobility and although it wasn't much it was sort of a waste of money for something I rarely used except when I left home (just to have a way to call 911).
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
DVORA65 (08-28-2011), Jomar (01-20-2009)
Old 05-07-2009, 12:18 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Laugh

I'm trying to get a free phone what steps do i take.
Dimples56 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (05-08-2009)
Old 05-07-2009, 03:42 PM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimples56 View Post
I'm trying to get a free phone what steps do i take.
Go to https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Enr...blic/home.aspx and it will give you instructions. I've had mine for several months now and each month I get 68 free minutes added to my phone! It's great!
"Thanks for this!" says:
DVORA65 (08-28-2011)
Old 05-11-2009, 08:21 AM #8
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

My neice has one, and loves it.

I use my pre paid T mobile. The first year, I put $100 on the phone, and that makes you a gold member, and your minutes last for one year, and roll over as long as you add at least $10 per year to your phone in prepaid cards BEFORE the expiration date of your roll over date. $10 a year is awesome, and I still have those original minutes from the $100 lay out years ago.

Free is better, and my neice says she gets service in just about every corner of the city.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DVORA65 (08-28-2011), Jomar (05-12-2009), Kitty (05-11-2009)
Old 05-11-2009, 07:15 PM #9
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejibo View Post
My neice has one, and loves it.

I use my pre paid T mobile. The first year, I put $100 on the phone, and that makes you a gold member, and your minutes last for one year, and roll over as long as you add at least $10 per year to your phone in prepaid cards BEFORE the expiration date of your roll over date. $10 a year is awesome, and I still have those original minutes from the $100 lay out years ago.

Free is better, and my neice says she gets service in just about every corner of the city.
How funny that you mentioned prepaid T Mobile, (or as my friend calls it ..

T MOBEEEEEEEEL

I have no idea why she pronounces it this way!! lol

Anyway, a few days ago, I bought one myself. I had been going to all the cell phone places and this one particular place appealed to me because THE YOUNG GUYS IN THERE DIDN'T TREAT ME LIKE A DODDERING OLD FOOL!!!

I went in, showed them my 8 year old phone, and after they went "OH MY GOD", we all laughed and they started showing me phones.

They said "would you like a camera in it?" I said 'no, I just need a phone".

They said "Do you want to text message?" and I said "No, I just need a phone".

They said "do you want to go in the internet?" and I said "No, I just need a phone".

They said "do you want to download ring tones, wallpaper? (what the heck is wallpaper, anyway?), and he's going on and on.

I simply said "I don't want a phone that I will use as a walkie talkie, (I used to take the one I was using, put it up to my ear, and then back to my mouth.) And I have no idea why I did this, but I always said to myself "my next phone will flip open like a phone".

So I said to the guy, "I want to just flip it open" He says; 'but we have phones that you can turn sideways, blah blah".

I said "Listen my friend, I don't have anyone who I need to take photos of, I don't know anyone my age who I can text, and I don't play games...."

"I JUST WANT A PHONE".

We laughed during this whole experience.

I finally got a Samsung phone THAT IS A PHONE!!! It also texts if I want it to text. I put 1000 minutes on it and now I'm a gold member (or something like that). As long as I put 10 bucks before next May, I'll be just fine. Then he says to me "Let's set up your ring tones".

I just said "I want it to ring like a phone". He did it for me.

He showed me how to retrieve my messages. He showed me how to go to menu (you know, all the stuff that you guys know how to do but I DON'T).

So I get home, and I decide to change the ring tone for incoming messages.

Yeah, right!!! .. I get a menu, I get a sub menu, I find the sounds, but I can't change the tone.

I take a walk back and he goes "hi there" and I said "I'm not really that stupid, but how do you change the ring tone? " and I began to show him the steps that I knew had to be followed. I got stuck where it says "RING TONE", I kept pushing the right arrow key but it wouldn't do anything.

I said "See..it doesn't do anything". He laughed and said "You didn't select SELECT!!!"

Oh my god, I felt like an idiot. So I have been home, learning all about my new Samsung phone.

Alan hates it, hates phones, won't carry one, and when he sees me take mine out, he goes "put that thing away".

I call him Mr. Phone Phobia Man!!

lol

Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Darlene (05-12-2009), Dejibo (05-12-2009), DVORA65 (08-28-2011), Kitty (05-12-2009), Twinkletoes (05-11-2009)
Old 05-12-2009, 12:26 PM #10
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

yep, $10 a year aint too bad.

I too just want a phone. I dont want to text/sext/photo/IM/update/or check Ebay while on the road. I just want a phone to have in case I am in trouble, or am running late or want to call for updated directions. I just need to have a plain jane phone. its turned off 99% of the time. My message even says DONT leave a message on this phone, as I NEVER EVER check it. please call my home phone to leave me a message, and if you dont have my home phone number, you have no business leaving messages for me anyway. beep!

Im glad you got a plain jane phone. Way to go!

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DVORA65 (08-28-2011)