advertisement

Old 01-13-2009, 03:32 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Baclofen side effect...drug hangover

I went to my GP yesterday as I have had night after night of no sleep because of my "Hokey Pokey" pains.

You know; first the right leg hurts and then the left toe hurts; ya just think it's okay and then the right shoulder hurts... etc...

He asked if I wanted to try Klonopin (clonazepam) again and then he said I want you to try Baclofen before bedtime.

I love Baklova so I said okay!!

I took a tablet last night about a half hour before going to bed and I SLEPT from 10:00 pm till 8:00 this morning with out waking up! I was so thrilled but the problem is I feel as though I have a hangover and am dragging today. I had an appointment for a pedicure but cancelled it because I don't feel confident to drive.

I know different people react differently to meds and wondered if y'all had any side effects like this?

I have a hair appointment tomorrow morning so will skip the pill tonite as DH can't take me and I refuse to drive if I am not at my best.

Brain damaged and I have MRI's to prove it!!
AZjanie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-13-2009, 03:51 PM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I haven't had any side effects from Baclofen or Klonopin.

I take 20 mg three times a day of Baclofen for muscle spasms. I'm on a very low dose of Klonopin at bedtime (something like 0.25 mg) because I was having insomnia. The Klonopin gives me 5-6 hours of sleep, which was better than the 2-3 hours I was getting before being started on it.

Sorry I'm not much help. But, I did want to say that meds affect me differently than other people. My neuro said that Klonopin usually makes people hungry, but it almost totally took away my appetite--which I needed, let me tell you!

So, I hope others can give you some answers.

azoyizes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (01-13-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 04:00 PM #3
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I break my baclofens in half (and sometimes into quarters) because I feel like they're too strong for me. I dont like waking up with the hangover, without the fun of drinking alcohol the night before.

They do help when my calves try to make my heels kick me in the butt while I'm sleeping.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (01-13-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 05:36 PM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I take Baclofen sometimes...usually 20 mg at a time.....and it does make me a little woozy but never knocks me out like it did you. You must just be extra sensitive to it. Now, if I took 20 mg 3 X a day it might....
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (01-13-2009)
Old 01-13-2009, 07:37 PM #5
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I take 10mg of baclofen two times a day, and have not had a problem. But it takes alot to knock me out. I also take 2700 mg of neurontin. I think everyone is different.
barb02 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (01-13-2009)
Old 01-14-2009, 05:40 AM #6
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

When I first started Baclofen, the neuro told me to take 10mg three times a day.

So I tried that. First pill I took was at 2pm. Fell asleep for the next 4 or 5 hours.

Took the next one around 12 or 1am, slept till about 230pm the next day.

Took the third one sometime later that night (probably after 10pm) and was out for another 10 or 12 hours. I was so tired thru all that, I decided to back off on the 10mg three times a day. Now I take it when needed. I seem to only have spasticity for a few days a month. So, when I notice a problem, I'll take a half or a quarter of a pill...do that for a few days and then the spasticity seems to go away for a few weeks. Sometimes I can get by for a month or two before I start having a problem with it again.

Seems like it follows the mini flares I seem to get every couple of months. I can tell I'm in a flare because I'll either have increased spasticity or a l'hermittes sign that wont go away for a bit. I'd rather have the (so far) mild spasticity than have a l'hermittes sign. (last time I had l'hermittes, it was really painful)

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (01-14-2009)
Old 01-14-2009, 09:16 AM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I'm sorry that you are having that side effect and really hope it settles down for you soon!

I have been on 10mg Baclofen 3x daily and I didn't have that side effect you mentioned however I did feel very drowsey and my Physical Therapists and Neurologist noticed that since I started taking it, I was way too floppy. It was really strange as the Baclofen made me VERY floppy in the places that I didn't need to be and didn't work where I needed my muscles to losen up! I got so floppy and it got to the point where I could hardly sit up ... I was slouched over with a curved back nearly all of the time. Eventually, my Doctor agreed that it wasn't working and was making me worse so I decided to come off it and felt better for it.

I hope the side-effects have eased now ... it might just be that your body is getting used to the extra meds but I would definitely speak to your doctor if this persists for a period of time!

Please keep us all updated!
AZjanie (01-14-2009)
Old 01-14-2009, 06:00 PM #8
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

i've experienced that also. it sometimes happens when you first start the med.
i agree with cutting the pill in half and trying that.

with con't use it should abate.
hope it helps.
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
--------------------------------------
"DESIDERATA" by Max Ehrmann
NurseNancy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (01-14-2009)
Old 01-14-2009, 11:42 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I take both and I sleep so well now! I started out with half a dose and worked my way up. I think that helps you adjust with out that hang over feeling.

LA
Started Avonex February 22 2008 (still progressing)
July 2009 started Betaseron.....

"Don't argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference."
slskckjebw is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (01-15-2009)
Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 AM #10
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Janie - I definitely felt that way when I tried baclofen. It took me a 1 1/2 days to feel normal again and that was on 5 mg.

I decided to not take it anymore. I was taking it to help with quality of life but feeling that way, to me, was no quality of life. I decided to just deal with the spasms and pain without meds. I do know that it takes about a week to adjust to the meds and over time it supposedly gets better. However, I don't have a week to give up to being a doped up, couch potato, mom. Baclofen is one of those drugs that you need to take for a bit to get the full benefit. It is not one that you can take every now and then.

At my last neuro's appointment they gave me some Valium to try. I have yet to try it as it was around the holidays and knowing that I am sensitive to drugs, I didn't want to be doped up during the holidays.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (01-15-2009)