advertisement

Old 01-15-2009, 07:17 PM #1
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Default Hearing Loss

Has anyone experienced hearing loss since you've been dx? I can tell a huge difference between my left and right ear (left is muffled and right is clear). Not sure if it's MS related or not. My Dad was nearly deaf in his left ear but he always said it was nerve damage. Wish I had asked how it happened (or could remember). I have been noticing it more and more lately....especially if I'm lying down and watching TV. If I lay on my right side I can barely hear it....if I lay on my left side it's fine.

Is hearing loss a sx of MS?
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-15-2009, 07:52 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I've heard it can be, but it can be caused by a lot of things. I'm deaf without hearing aids (in both ears), which started going really quickly shortly after my son was born, nearly 18 yrs ago. It could've been caused by a number of things (my dad was deaf, I'd had a bad cold & ear infection in my 8th month, being a dj at a rock station for many years, any of that could've done it. If you think it may be caused by MS, get it checked out now while they can still do something about it. If you wait too long, it'll be permanent.
No matter what it's caused by, it's very frustrating!

PolarExpress is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ali12 (01-16-2009), Kitty (01-15-2009), Twinkletoes (01-17-2009)
Old 01-16-2009, 08:49 AM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having to deal with that as well as everything else Kitty and really hope you get some answers and feel better soon!!

My nanan had Progressive MS and she had some earing loss, however it wasn't very bad. Her Neurologist examined her and told my mum and grandad that he thought she could have Tinitus (sp?) from all of the medications she was taking as she said she could hear a buzzing/ringing noise in her ears that would come and go. I'm not sure what they did to try and stop these symptoms but from what I believe, my mum said they put her on some medications and then measured her up for an hearing-aid.

I'm sorry that I can't help you that much but just wanted to send you my love and say I hope you feel better real soon as the hearing loss must be very scary for you! Please talk to your doctor and see what he/she says - it might be something really simple that can be easily treated and I hope and pray it is!

I'm thinking about you and please keep us all updated when you can!
Kitty (01-16-2009)
Old 01-16-2009, 10:37 AM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali12 View Post
My nanan had Progressive MS and she had some earing loss, however it wasn't very bad. Her Neurologist examined her and told my mum and grandad that he thought she could have Tinitus (sp?) from all of the medications she was taking as she said she could hear a buzzing/ringing noise in her ears that would come and go.

I have the ringing in my ears, too. It comes and goes.....sometimes it's really loud! But the hearing in my left ear is very much muffled. I guess I should have my hearing checked.....will have to wait for the next health fair to happen!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
ali12 (01-16-2009)
Old 01-16-2009, 10:50 AM #5
Elder Member

15 yr Member
Elder Member

15 yr Member

Kelly no not here, but I have noticed I am more sensitive to louder noise, kids voice, tv volume too high,

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.............................Mark Twain

weegot5kiz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (01-16-2009)
Old 01-16-2009, 12:05 PM #6
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

You told my story, word for word, Kelly.

During an exacerbation, many years ago, I had a temporary hearing loss. I just thought my ears were stopped up, but when the Doc looked, there was no build up of wax at all. It was MS nerve damage going on.

I got most of my hearing back, but there was deffinately a small permanent loss, in my left ear especially.

I knew it, we are evil twins..

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (01-16-2009), Twinkletoes (01-17-2009), weegot5kiz (01-16-2009)
Old 01-16-2009, 12:26 PM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyC View Post

"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (01-16-2009), weegot5kiz (01-16-2009)
Old 01-16-2009, 01:13 PM #8
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
So which one is Sally?

Kelly, I have a small amount of deafness in one ear now, but for a couple of years I had intermittent & more severe deafness daily. I had my hearing tested, and he said it was likely due to the MS at the time.

The intermittent deafness (and ringing in the ears) went away completely after I stopped A/D's. I don't know if it was coincidence, or if any other drugs can do this to people . . . but that was my experience.

I still have slight deafness, but I think that might be "normal" for my age group.

Is this constant for you? Is it possible it is related to sinus/ear issues, not the MS? It's worth being checked out ...

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (01-16-2009), SallyC (01-16-2009)
Old 01-16-2009, 02:50 PM #9
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
You told my story, word for word, Kelly.

During an exacerbation, many years ago, I had a temporary hearing loss. I just thought my ears were stopped up, but when the Doc looked, there was no build up of wax at all. It was MS nerve damage going on.

I got most of my hearing back, but there was deffinately a small permanent loss, in my left ear especially.

Me too, Sally & Lady! The only way I found that out was after a dose of IVSM. I do transcription work and had the volume way up. After the 2nd IVSM dose, I went to type and I thought dang this is loud! Turns out it was part of that exacerbation.

I have gained most my hearing back in my left ear but every now and then it will act up.

(((Kelly))) Try to get it checked out so that they can give you something to help you out and possibly prevent permanent damage. I know that you have vertigo as well and this could all be part of the vestibular nerve. Valium helps with this as it is one of the only drugs that works directly on that nerve. (Learned that with DD17 and her vertigo) Plus, Valium also helps muscle spasms so it would have a double benefit for you.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debbie D (01-26-2009), Kitty (01-16-2009), Lady (01-27-2009), SallyC (01-16-2009), weegot5kiz (01-16-2009)
Old 01-26-2009, 08:24 PM #10
n/a

15 yr Member
n/a

15 yr Member

Lost the hearing in my left ear years ago - it came back slowly but with tinnitus in both ears - the ringing - I prefer to describe it as tree peepers - gets louder in the evening - I have learned to ignore it - but at the same time I can't hear sounds that are in that pitch - got small hearing aids a few years ago when ears were really loud to sort of mask the tinnitus and bring in the sounds I wasn't hearing - birds for instance - it's annoying - I remember the sound of snow falling and rain on the leaves which is good as I won't be hearing them again - at the time - my neuro didn't think it was from MS but from a milogram I had just had - thought an air bubble had gotten in somehow and lodged in my ear - time has proved him wrong -
KarenMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (04-10-2009)