advertisement

Old 01-16-2009, 12:51 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default What is the world is happening to me?

I have started several posts here, then deleted them because nothing makes sense. I have read articles about PN and was told I had Trigeminal Neuralgia by my Neurologist. He gave me some meds for it and that relieved the pain. It has not come back in the last few weeks.

Today, both knees became too painful to stand on. My left foot, across the top hurt too much to put weight on (all of these have happened at different times and usually only last about a half hour -- so far).

My index finger on my right hand has hurt, off and on, for about a month. I can't use a knife or fork to cut food when it is like that. I can't write with a pencil, it hurts too much.

My left hand has hurt for about two months. My little finger on my left hand hurts like it is broken. And I have broke it a few times in the martial arts. Then it is normal again.

My left "shin" bone -- I touched it today and it hurt too much to touch again.

My left foot, across the top, hurt too much to put weight on. (Sound familiar to anyone?)

I was laying on my back, with my left elbow on the bed, my left forearm pointing straight up. The bone started hurting. It hurt too much to lay down on the bed.

My neck muscles hurt for awhile tonight. The only muscle problem that I can remember.

Both of my feet have hurt too bad to put weight on them at times. No consistency, except for my left hand.

I started my detox off opiates last summer and have not had any since approx. August 4, 2008. I think being on opiates the last few years masked this problem. It seems odd that my nerve problems came on as I started the detox. My RLS is under control with Mirapex.

I know I am forgetting several other odd places I have been hit with pain. For what it is worth, I did the test where we stand up for a minute or so, with our eyes closed. I had zero problems with it. Blomberg or thromberg, sorry, can't remember it right now.

I am seeing one of our best Rhumatologists in twelve days. I am not sure what to tell him, other than what I have said here.

Does this sound like PN?

advertisement
Old 01-16-2009, 09:08 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dllfo View Post
I have started several posts here, then deleted them because nothing makes sense. I have read articles about PN and was told I had Trigeminal Neuralgia by my Neurologist. He gave me some meds for it and that relieved the pain. It has not come back in the last few weeks.

Today, both knees became too painful to stand on. My left foot, across the top hurt too much to put weight on (all of these have happened at different times and usually only last about a half hour -- so far).

My index finger on my right hand has hurt, off and on, for about a month. I can't use a knife or fork to cut food when it is like that. I can't write with a pencil, it hurts too much.

My left hand has hurt for about two months. My little finger on my left hand hurts like it is broken. And I have broke it a few times in the martial arts. Then it is normal again.

My left "shin" bone -- I touched it today and it hurt too much to touch again.

My left foot, across the top, hurt too much to put weight on. (Sound familiar to anyone?)

I was laying on my back, with my left elbow on the bed, my left forearm pointing straight up. The bone started hurting. It hurt too much to lay down on the bed.

My neck muscles hurt for awhile tonight. The only muscle problem that I can remember.

Both of my feet have hurt too bad to put weight on them at times. No consistency, except for my left hand.

I started my detox off opiates last summer and have not had any since approx. August 4, 2008. I think being on opiates the last few years masked this problem. It seems odd that my nerve problems came on as I started the detox. My RLS is under control with Mirapex.

I know I am forgetting several other odd places I have been hit with pain. For what it is worth, I did the test where we stand up for a minute or so, with our eyes closed. I had zero problems with it. Blomberg or thromberg, sorry, can't remember it right now.

I am seeing one of our best Rhumatologists in twelve days. I am not sure what to tell him, other than what I have said here.

Does this sound like PN?
Old injuries tend to hurt now and then as we age.

I have spots that are decades old, that can flare with the weather, or an illness.
If you did martial arts? Well, that is alot of stress on the body!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:34 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

".........PN and was told I had Trigeminal Neuralgia by my Neurologist.........Does this sound like PN?..........."

No two of us really exhibit the same sx, but there are some common traits that we all can relate to. These multi-sx you describe....do not sound typical of PN. Mrs D's explanation is one that almost all off us beyond the age of #@$* are familiar with. Maybe the 'rheumy' will have a different 'take', but I'd follow your neuro's dx of TN and pursue that route.

Last edited by nide44; 01-16-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: sp
nide44 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:08 AM #4
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I have had episodes similar to this. In my case, it isn't only PN. Other things can be going on at the same time as PN, or be at the root of what is causing all things including PN.

Meds to help TN should also act on other nerves, so that is confusing.

You can PM me if you wish...I will assist however possible.

So sorry to hear you are in such pain.
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:20 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you for the replies and info --

Old age? Sure. I am 63. I have had a active life and two severe car wrecks. So some pain is expected. I wonder if my PN doesn't come from the severe injury to my lower back?

I think I am puzzled and don't know what to do to alleviate the pain. I have made up a list of things to investigate to see if I can help myself through diet change, vitamins, low level exercise and so on.

1. Find out which foods might aggravate nerves and which might help my CNS/PN systems.
2. Find out which vitamins/minerals can help my nerves.
3. Figure out which exercises might help. Physical Therapist for that I guess. But I need
to see the appropriate doctors to determine what is causing these problems. Followed
bysome medical tests I guess.

Some of what is happening is just plain odd. How about both knees giving out at the same time last night? Today they are fine. Or at least they seem to be.

I understand all of us are different and as such, we can't predict or explain the other person's problems, but I was hoping some of my symptoms might jog someones memory.

MrsD was kind enough to help me with my vitamins, etc. awhile back and I am so grateful. I take them daily.

I have thought about setting up a spreadsheet, listing the date and time each problem came up. List what I was doing, what I had consumed that day and so on. But that might be almost impossible. Have any of you done anything like that? I am looking for consistency, something I can point to and be able to understand eating a certain food triggers a certain reaction.

I have read there are over 100 kinds of PN, so we will just have to take it one day at a time until we figure it out. Thanks again....
Old 01-16-2009, 03:26 PM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Question are your knees swollen? red, hot?

Or just "hurt" ?

Do you take anything for arthritis? NSAIDs?

Surely the narcotics blocked some of the pain. But they do nothing for inflammation.

How are the restless legs doing?

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:23 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

mrsD,

"Or just "hurt" ? --- Not sure what you are referencing here, but yes, sometimes we all just
"hurt". As we all know, there is pain and there is PAin and then there is PAIN!!!!!!!!!
As anyone who has dealt with pain would know, quantifying pain is difficult. PN or TN or
whatever.

Do you take anything for arthritis? --- Used to take Naprosyn and some Celebrex.

NSAIDs? --- Some, but I try not to take anything if I don't have to.

Surely the narcotics blocked some of the pain. But they do nothing for inflammation. --- I learned that morphine does nothing for a tooth ache too. Or urinary tract pain. But I have read Naprosyn and Celebrex are not good for us ... so I try not to use them.

How are the restless legs doing? No problem. Mirapex .5mg a day is handling it GREAT.

Thanks for reading my post. It is hard for me to think clearly enough to express myself
correctly. Part of what concerned me was that so many new things happened in one day.

Take care....