advertisement

Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default back pain and ms

Hello
I'm new to the forum but have some concerns. Sorry this is so long.
Four year ago had symptoms my gp thought were ms related. Saw a neuro and clnically had "ms" but not diagnostically. She told me this can happen when lesions are not "fully developed" Was placed on baclofen 30mg/day severe leg/toe spams and stiffness and provigil for fatigue.
I've continued to have new symtpoms and old ones return. My gp said there hasn't been enough "clinical change" and since you don't have insurance let's just wait and see what happens before we order another MRI as last 2 were normal.
In September of last year I woke up one day and my right arm and leg were numb and very heavy to move. Left side of face felt heavy but didn't look any differently in the mirror. I had no sense of taste or temperature registration. I never new something was hot until it hit the stomach. Had urinary incontinence, minimal this time. Difficulty walking faster than at turtle speed. Just couldn't go any faster. Freeze all the time. Heat became my best friend. Symptoms worsed over the next month and then it went away.

Alls been well until 10 days ago when I was awakening from sleep with mid-back pain in my spine. I felt as though something the size of my fist was trying to push out my vertebrae. It took my breath away. Both legs from the feet up to the knee were ice cold. The rest of the legs were normal body temp. Both feet distorted from the spams that were occurring. I took 20mg of Baclofen and the pain lessened. The next morning I was so stiff trying to get out of bed. Trying to walk down the hall to the bathroom was quite a chore. My feet and esp. toes just feel like I didn't have good balance control or support. I thought a warm bath would make me feel 100% better. I noticed in the bra area how swollen my back looked and felt. I tested the bath water with my hand and it felt nice and warm. I stepped in a the water didn't feel warm but more on the cool side. I sat in the tub only 10 minutes because I could never get my feet/legs warm up to my knee. The thigh was toasty warm. The freezing all the time has returned.
Has any one experienced this? What do you find to be the best relief? How long would you wait before contacting your dr?
Thanks so much for your patience.
4cordelia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

First of all, Welcome!
I have back pain quite often, but not exactly as you describe. I do know that when my MS was acting up Nov/Dec, my right side was mostly numb, and my ability to feel hot/cold changes diminished. I had to test water temp with my left hand during that time, and my right side felt colder than the left. Like I said, not exactly the same, but I understand that awful cold feeling. I wouldn't wait to contact your doctor. If you have a neuro, contact them as well. Always best to catch symptoms in the act..
Let us know how you're doing, and what you find out!!

PolarExpress is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:19 AM #3
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

welcome to NT.
glad you found us.

i'm sorry you're going thru all this.
i can't offer advice as i havn't experienced your sx's.

but, i would strongly suggest that you call your dr first thing monday.
you could be having what we call a flare IF you have MS.
it would seem to me that you should be seen by a neurologist whether you have insurance or not.
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
--------------------------------------
"DESIDERATA" by Max Ehrmann
NurseNancy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:57 AM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I HATE cold, ALWAYS, but especially when I am relapsing.

Have you had a spinal MRI? My cold sensitivity is apparently from spasticity from my spinal lesions. I have experienced three attacks from these lesions, and normally this type of attack is very severe (with many more symptoms then what you've mentioned). Cold, achy legs are one of the symptoms though, when in or recovering from these kind of attacks.

If this is due to a spinal lesion, it may not show up on a MRI at this point anyway. They can be sneaky to notice on a MRI, and by the time they show up, the symptoms they cause can be quite extreme. I've heard of others with fairly large spinal lesions though, and only ever experienced a few symptoms . . .

I think you should write down what happened, as it happens, and definitely give an update to your GP and/or neurologist at your next appointment. If you still do not have insurance, and a MRI will cost you thousands, I don't think these symptoms are extreme or lasting enough to have another MRI at this point. I just don't think anything will show up yet, but if you had the money to "waste", it would be might have been worth checking to see if anything does . . .

Good luck.

Cherie
Old 09-10-2010, 04:21 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well, what can I say other than "I'm BACK". Positive note I've enjoyed almost 8 months of pure heaven.......took another cruise, feeling fantastic, symptom free, and then August came.......
Au g2010 Woke up one morning with loss of vision acuity/blurred vision both eyes, no eye pain, yes dull headache, colors look washed out with a film over them, objects have no edges,severe mid back pain,several of the vertebrae are swollen and very painful (can't stand to have bra pressing the the vertabrae,)leg weakness/increased spasticity, cold hypersensitivity, nausea, lt facial pain. Started back on the baclofen increasing each day until I get back to 10 mg 3x day.

Saw doctor at ER 2 1/2 weeks after it started. (left eye improving but rt eye still a mess) Eye Dr.noticed some inflammation in rt eye, but not in the optic nerve. Told to wait and see. All other symptoms still on the uprise.Advised to keep taking the baclofen and see reg dr. in two weeks if not better.

2 weeks later follow up with new eye dr. Told eye blurring was "congenital and I've had it all my life." Excuse me! Rt eye has always been 20/30. Lt eye 20/20. New dr. prescribed +3 contact lens for the rt eye. NO IDEA WHERE THAT CAME FROM. I'm fairly sure I would notice if my eyes weren't focusing and can't even see the big "E". Also, I failed the color blindness test. What green/red dots??

6 weeks since occurrence, rt eye still blurred enough I can't read standard size print if I close the left eye, but together I see the same as before this all started. All other symtpoms are still on the rise even with the baclofen.
Contact lens for right eye makes overall vision the same acuity as when the symptoms all started. A blurred mess, pain behind left eye, nausea.

GP is on vacation until next week. Trying to find a new neuro on my insurance plan.

1- Having been 6 weeks will the neuro exam even show any abnormalities? MRI?
2- Should I request LP from reg dr because of the swelling in my mid back.
3- How long do symptoms have to last to still show abnormalities?

So ready for the weekend of the heating pad and sleep.
Cordelia

Last edited by 4cordelia; 09-10-2010 at 04:59 PM.
4cordelia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:59 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Even 6 weeks after, the abnormalities will probably still show up. The LP won't do anything for or help with the back swelling, it will only examine the spinal fluid for protein bands and with the risk of severe headache I would not do it.

From your history and recent problems a reliable Neurologist should be able to diagnose you. You may need to go to a Teaching Hospital for good care.
USS Monitor 1996, 1997, 1999
Andrea Doria 1996, 1998
USS Wilkes Barre 1991
wkikta is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote