advertisement

Old 01-17-2009, 02:54 PM #1
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Can Uhthoff's Symptom go away?

When I heat up, from showering, warm weather, house-cleaning, etc., I have considerable loss of vision in my left eye. Within minutes to an hour of removing the trigger (reduction of body temp), it clears up again.

Does anyone happen to know if this is something I am stuck with for the duration, or has their Uhthoff's ever gone away?

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
weegot5kiz (01-17-2009)

advertisement
Old 01-17-2009, 03:57 PM #2
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

My uhthoff's seems to bother me when I have some sort of inflammation going on.

Last spring I had a completely numb left leg, and what my eye doctor called a "mild" case of ON (why does it never feel "mild" to me?)

Everytime I went out in the heat, things got worse. It was like that for maybe 2 months...a little longer. And it was during the early spring, so I'm glad that it went away before the heat of the hot Nebraska summers hit.

By July, I was able to sit outside in the sun and not feel as badly affected as I did earlier that spring. And my eye was better by that time (eye improved quick..that took about a month) and my leg numbness was gone a few weeks or a month after the eye improved.

I think uhthoff's can go away for a bit. Or at least seems to be not as bad. I went on a vacation in September and it was really hot up in S. Dakota that weekend. I barely didnt make it thru a state park we visited in Minnesota just over the S Dakota border one day. We walked about a mile and a half (with lots of breaks) thru a forest and quarry. I was dragging the last half mile, and had to sit down back at the main building for about 45 minutes before I could get up and go spend money on souvenirs. (boyfriend was walking thru another quarry during that time. He has more stamina than I do)

I'm pretty sure the intense heat that weekend woke up the uhthoff's reaction for me. I was moving pretty slowly that entire weekend. (good thing the boyfriend likes to do things slow on vacations. I could keep up)

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lady_express_44 (01-17-2009)
Old 01-17-2009, 05:39 PM #3
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
When I heat up, from showering, warm weather, house-cleaning, etc., I have considerable loss of vision in my left eye. Within minutes to an hour of removing the trigger (reduction of body temp), it clears up again.

Does anyone happen to know if this is something I am stuck with for the duration, or has their Uhthoff's ever gone away?

Cherie
Cherie

I have only been dx'd since 2001 so I've not had Uhthoff's as long as you, but mine is still with me. I've not found research that indicates that it goes away. The only thing that I can do to lessen the severity of it is to make sure I am well hydrated when I encounter the triggering event.

For me, it's anything that raises my body core temperature no matter what the outside air temperature is. I've had pretty good luck making sure that I am well-hydrated. It doesn't stop the symptoms, but I can lessen the severity - sometimes.

If you find that magic bullet, let me know!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lady_express_44 (01-17-2009)
Old 01-17-2009, 06:06 PM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

uhthoff's...i don't know if i have it but...
when i'm very tired/weak, or hot my vision gets bad. i just can't focus.
sometimes in the summer i've had to stop and get a bite to eat, cool off and drink water. then i can "move" on.

this can also happen if my blood sugar gets too low and i'm too hungry.
what exactly is uhthoff's cherie?
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
--------------------------------------
"DESIDERATA" by Max Ehrmann
NurseNancy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lady_express_44 (01-17-2009), tovaxin_lab_rat (01-18-2009)
Old 01-17-2009, 07:04 PM #5
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseNancy View Post
uhthoff's...i don't know if i have it but...
when i'm very tired/weak, or hot my vision gets bad. i just can't focus.
sometimes in the summer i've had to stop and get a bite to eat, cool off and drink water. then i can "move" on.

this can also happen if my blood sugar gets too low and i'm too hungry.
what exactly is uhthoff's cherie?
Quote:
Definition: A symptom of multiple sclerosis (MS) in which a person’s vision becomes blurred when the body gets overheated from hot weather, exercise, fever or saunas and hot tubs. It is thought to be a residual symptom of optic neuritis, even if the person was unaware that they ever had optic neuritis.
This is an example of a pseudoexacerbation, rather than a relapse because vision returns to normal after body temperature returns to normal. No permanent damage is done.
The term also is occasionally used to refer to temporary worsening of other MS symptoms due to heat, such as numbness, tingling or weakness.
It's not just connected with ON or visual problems anymore.

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
"Thanks for this!" says:
lady_express_44 (01-17-2009), NurseNancy (01-17-2009), weegot5kiz (01-17-2009)
Old 01-17-2009, 08:46 PM #6
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rgirl View Post
Cherie

I have only been dx'd since 2001 so I've not had Uhthoff's as long as you, but mine is still with me. I've not found research that indicates that it goes away. The only thing that I can do to lessen the severity of it is to make sure I am well hydrated when I encounter the triggering event.

For me, it's anything that raises my body core temperature no matter what the outside air temperature is. I've had pretty good luck making sure that I am well-hydrated. It doesn't stop the symptoms, but I can lessen the severity - sometimes.

If you find that magic bullet, let me know!
I have only had Uhthoff's since about 2003, but it didn't affect my eyesight until about a year ago.

I've always preferred heat to cold, just because of the painful spasticity I get with cold weather. An increase in body temp has caused numbness, weakness, and fatigue for several years too, but I haven't minded that as much as the pain from cold.

After that untreated tooth infection put me in the attack for a several months, until Apr/08, I noticed a big blob in my eyesight at times. My doc figured it was a floater, but I finally realized it only happens when I heat up. My eye doc confirmed Uhthoff's just before Xmas.

Seems I must have had ON at some point, but didn't notice that part.

So I guess Uhthoff's isn't new, but the fact that it bothers my eyesight now too is. The other Uhthoff's symptoms have never let up, so it occurred to me that the eyesight one might not either.

Interesting that staying hydrated helps you, Cheryl. I wonder if it's because the cold liquid lowers your body temp? I'm going to try that, thanks!

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
tovaxin_lab_rat (01-18-2009)
Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 PM #7
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Oh, and my eyesight in my left eye went from -5.75 to -7.50 too, even when I am not over-heated. They can only correct it to 20/30 in that eye now.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
tovaxin_lab_rat (01-18-2009), weegot5kiz (01-17-2009)
Old 01-17-2009, 09:03 PM #8
Elder Member

15 yr Member
Elder Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Definition: A symptom of multiple sclerosis (MS) in which a person’s vision becomes blurred when the body gets overheated from hot weather, exercise, fever or saunas and hot tubs. It is thought to be a residual symptom of optic neuritis, even if the person was unaware that they ever had optic neuritis.
This is an example of a pseudoexacerbation, rather than a relapse because vision returns to normal after body temperature returns to normal. No permanent damage is done.
The term also is occasionally used to refer to temporary worsening of other MS symptoms due to heat, such as numbness, tingling or weakness.

Thank you, all of you. I have for some time been trying to figure this out. I get ON but usually with pain, but this blurry thing in my left eye I have noticed it comes and goes too quickly, and the time doesn't coincide with it being from the ON's, especially when I am not having an ON attack, I also noticed it relates to the amount of exertion I put out, which in turn usually raises my body temps too, and when I am sick I cant see real well either. thanks it being two separate demons makes more sense to me, its what I felt inside

Cherie My vision declined big time in one year, not even funny I use to have excellent vision the optho said the decline was too quick also

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.............................Mark Twain

weegot5kiz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lady_express_44 (01-18-2009), tovaxin_lab_rat (01-18-2009)
Old 01-17-2009, 10:35 PM #9
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Mine's never really gone away, but I've noticed it's affected my eyesight more in the last year or so. Blurry vision or difficulty focusing..When I come in from the cold now, it takes a few minutes for the double vision to clear up.. Wish I had something more positive to add!

PolarExpress is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lady_express_44 (01-18-2009), tovaxin_lab_rat (01-18-2009), weegot5kiz (01-17-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 12:10 PM #10
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

It is what it is!

Lowering my body core temp helps immensely. I noticed that right away. That's one reason why I stopped swimming at the Y. They keep the water temp too high. I would leave there feeling miserable and my legs would not work and I had trouble seeing.

My vision had gotten worse, too. Not sure of that's due to an increase in the nystagmus symptoms, age, or MS. Could be a combination of everything. I keep complaining to the eye doc that no matter what he does with my prescription, my vision is still blurry. My optic nerve is fine he says and my neurologist agrees. So, I live with it and do the best I can. Just one little irritation I have to live with. I know I cannot do close work any more with a good light and I cannot be tired.

Yes, Cherie, I cool myself down and it usually calms down the symptoms. Cooling down can include hydration and getting into a cooler place. Putting my feet and hands into cool water is also something I do, too.
Bottomline, is to lower my core temp.

"Thanks for this!" says:
lady_express_44 (01-18-2009), weegot5kiz (01-18-2009)