Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 01-18-2009, 07:05 AM #1
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default Aviation question

Thinking about the plane brought down by a flock of geese, and just wondering.

Obviously we can't just "get rid" of the geese. And deterrents don't seem to work.

I know NOTHING about aeronautics, so this is likely a dumb question, but here goes:

Why can't they put some kind of grill or grate over the part of the engine that sucks in the birds? There must be a reason why they can't, or they would have done so, but I'm wondering what it is?

Use layman's terms, please. I haven't even figured out what keeps airplanes in the air. I know they told me in school, but science wasn't my best subject. (Don't answer that one, just the bird one) Thanks!

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Blessings2You is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
FranksAngel (01-18-2009), weegot5kiz (01-18-2009)

advertisement
Old 01-18-2009, 07:12 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

We were wondering the same thing, B2Y. And why the birds don't just get out of the way when they hear the plane. Is it because they really don't hear it until it's too late?
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (01-18-2009), FranksAngel (01-18-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 07:12 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessings2You View Post
Thinking about the plane brought down by a flock of geese, and just wondering.

Obviously we can't just "get rid" of the geese. And deterrents don't seem to work.

I know NOTHING about aeronautics, so this is likely a dumb question, but here goes:

Why can't they put some kind of grill or grate over the part of the engine that sucks in the birds? There must be a reason why they can't, or they would have done so, but I'm wondering what it is?

Use layman's terms, please. I haven't even figured out what keeps airplanes in the air. I know they told me in school, but science wasn't my best subject. (Don't answer that one, just the bird one) Thanks!
The discussed this on CNN...
1) anything blocking the intake vent of a turbine reduces power

2) birds heavier than 4 lbs when they strike, rip off any grill or protector and shove it into the turbine making things worse.

They said today's engines are quieter, and because of that the birds don't get out of the way very well. (no warning).

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (01-18-2009), Darlene (01-19-2009), FranksAngel (01-18-2009), weegot5kiz (01-18-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 08:36 AM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I heard a grill of any sort can ice up and while I don't fly, have heard of tghis problem leading to diaster
kicker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (01-18-2009), FranksAngel (01-18-2009), Kitt (01-21-2009), weegot5kiz (01-18-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 09:12 PM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Different country, different conditions I know, but Sydney airport in Australia had a major problem with birdstrikes as it's built close to wetland areas. They're attempting to change the types of birds living in that area by removing nests, and actually encouraging some native birds which apparently aren't a problem and also by "tweaking the ecology". Apparently birds around the airport used to be culled. Now they're trying to change the way the environment is managed. The Ibis is a huge problem here. They're not as large as a goose though ... I don't think.

from Catalyst - Problem birds shown airport door

Last edited by Lara; 01-18-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: sp
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (01-19-2009)
Old 01-18-2009, 10:03 PM #6
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default Food for thought about technology/bird proofing aircraft

Quote:
Despite having experimented with everything from electromagnetics to ultrasonic devices to scarecrows, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has yet to endorse one single sensational solution that will keep birds out of the path of an oncoming aircraft. The best bet right now is understanding bird behavior, although an intriguing old pilots’ tale—that radar can scatter birds—may carry enough truth to ultimately offer a viable technical solution to a deadly problem.
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=...lanes-strike-z

Quote:
Of any species, Osmek said, gulls are most likely to strike planes while crows are the least likely. Flocks of crows have even been seen to change direction to avoid an aircraft. Crows and other "airport-savvy" species don't pose nearly the hazard that migrating birds and young birds do, he said.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss

Quote:
"We can never bird-proof anything that can fly," said DeFusco.

He says aircraft design has come a long way since 1987, when a B-1 bomber collided with a pelican and crashed on a training run near La Junta. Three died. The military subsequently redesigned parts of the bomber.
http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=107854

Quote:
Aircraft designers are continually developing better ways to “bird-proofairplanes.
The Boeing 777, for instance, has engines that are capable of ingesting four 2.5
pound birds and still produce at least 75% of their full thrust rating. Jetliners also
have heating elements in the windshields, which gives them a certain degree of
elasticity and makes them better able to resist damage from bird strikes.
Windshields are required to withstand the impact of a four-pound bird traveling at
speeds up to the design cruising speed of the aircraft at sea level.
http://209.85.173.132/custom?q=cache...87307376560118

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (01-19-2009), Darlene (01-19-2009), Lara (01-18-2009), oldsteve (01-19-2009)
Old 01-19-2009, 05:47 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Cheryl, you are always a source of interesting information in the aviation field! Thank you.

I was just a lowly avionics tech in the Navy many years ago, but always loved being around aircraft. Fixed or rotary wing. Didn't matter. Especially if they could shoot big guns and drop big bombs! Just kidding.....I think.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (01-19-2009), Lara (01-19-2009), tovaxin_lab_rat (01-19-2009)
Old 01-19-2009, 06:22 PM #8
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
Cheryl, you are always a source of interesting information in the aviation field! Thank you.

I was just a lowly avionics tech in the Navy many years ago, but always loved being around aircraft. Fixed or rotary wing. Didn't matter. Especially if they could shoot big guns and drop big bombs! Just kidding.....I think.
No such thing as a lowly avionics tech in the Navy. You guys were worth your weight in gold!

Thanks Steve. Airplanes and flying have been a passion of mine since I was 6 years old. Guess I got it from my dad!

I got my pilots license in 1979 and have been fascinated by all aspects of flying. Aerobics was something I was always intrigued by and when I finally learned how to perform well enough to compete, I was dx'd with MS...so much for that. I can't fly solo anymore.

When we bought our Citabria in 1995 and recovered it in the winter of 1996, I learned a lot about aircraft, aerodynamics and moving parts of airplanes. I also learned a lot about "my" airplane. I did a lot of the work myself. It was tedious, detail-oriented, and a lot of fun. It turned into quite a project and I am glad I had the opportunity to do it.

We ended up winning an award for the work! That was quite an accomplishment!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (01-19-2009), Lara (01-19-2009), oldsteve (01-20-2009)
Old 01-23-2009, 03:07 AM #9
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I heard also that the birds would get stuck on any grill or grate in front and cut air flow to the turbine...
At OHare airport, they shoot cannons and use dogs to chase the geese...since there are so many retention ponds in front of office buildings and such now the geese have stopped migrating...and they are protected. But deer aren't...we're allowed to cull deer populations, but not geese...