advertisement

Old 01-18-2009, 05:14 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hormone Changes & Peripheral Neuropathy

hello,

I have been trying to figure out why I have sensory PN. My burning started in my feet during my one & only pregnancy. I was 39, had endometriosis, fibroids and ovarian cysts. After I had the baby, my PN progressed. I also started to have hot flashes and other symptoms of peri-menopause.

I am 46 now and in menopause according to my extremely low levels of estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. I am now supplementing with Bio-Identical hormones. I just wonder if the decreases in hormones over the past years have caused my neuropathy. We have not found any other reason. I am a member of a menopause message board and many women there experience burning feet. Makes me wonder.

I know estrogen is considered to be neuroprotective....do you think lack of hormones could casue or exacerbate PN? Ladies, I am curious if any of you were peri-menopausal or menopausal when you came down with PN?

Ann
ann-elizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-19-2009, 03:07 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Ann. Yes. I was menopausal, and having very strong menopausal symptoms when I came down with PN. I am still looking into my medications, and back problems as well as other issues as possible causes of my PN, but I have also heard and read many accounts of women in the menopausal phase of life getting PN. It makes one wonder....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann-elizabeth View Post
hello,

I have been trying to figure out why I have sensory PN. My burning started in my feet during my one & only pregnancy. I was 39, had endometriosis, fibroids and ovarian cysts. After I had the baby, my PN progressed. I also started to have hot flashes and other symptoms of peri-menopause.

I am 46 now and in menopause according to my extremely low levels of estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. I am now supplementing with Bio-Identical hormones. I just wonder if the decreases in hormones over the past years have caused my neuropathy. We have not found any other reason. I am a member of a menopause message board and many women there experience burning feet. Makes me wonder.

I know estrogen is considered to be neuroprotective....do you think lack of hormones could casue or exacerbate PN? Ladies, I am curious if any of you were peri-menopausal or menopausal when you came down with PN?

Ann
Hope15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ann-elizabeth (01-19-2009)
Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default hormones

I was premenopause when all of this sensory neuropathy started, 3.5 years ago. Lately, when I thought I have progression in my PN - I asked my neurologist, about the connection - and he said that they don't know why, but during menopause - there are progressions in somw cases.
amit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ann-elizabeth (01-19-2009)
Old 01-29-2009, 08:26 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Frown Peripheral Neuropathy and Hormone Level changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann-elizabeth View Post
hello,

Ann
Hi Ann,

I am convinced that I began developing a peripheral neuropathy about 2.5 years ago when I discontinued the use of birth control pills. I am not menopausal, but due to abnormally low levels of hormones and lack of periods, my doctor put me them when I was about 20. I was on them for about 20 years.

When I got a blood clot 2.5 years ago, I had to stop taking the bc pills. My ob/gyn wanted me to start on HRT after I had discontinued the pills for about 6 months, but my hemotologist told her absolutely not. I begged and unfortunately, he said no, and I accepted this at the time, thinking he knew best.

I am now paying for it. I was an extremely healthy marathoner and gym enthusiast with no health problems whatsoever, to being someone with joint pain, a neuropathy, and possibly osteoarthritis along with many other problems. I have also had some early signs of lupus (mainly just the rash), but the rheumatologist started me on some medication which has kept the lupus from developing. (They suspect hormone level changes play a big part in the development of lupus also.)

I have done alot of research lately, and based on facts and my own unique health situation, I believe I could have simply prevented all these health problems from coming up with the HRT.

I am trying to cope with this new information, but have really been struggling. Running was my passion. It was like a drug for me. I am now very limited in what I can do.

I wondered if you had any advice for me, as far as what has helped with the neuropathy pain (hands and feet). Have you heard of any ways to reverse or help stop the nerve damage from worsening.

I am currently having foot and hand pain. I take about 200 milligrams of neurontin a day to help.

I am also looking into what HRT to start on. I want to be very careful, because since my hormone levels have been so low for the last 2.5 years, I am concerned that a spike up to levels that are too high, might also cause problems. Do you have any advice on this? Do you think my neuropathy will improve once I start?

I would really appreciate your insight.

Thanks,

Jean
jeanf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:29 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanf View Post
Hi Ann,

I am convinced that I began developing a peripheral neuropathy about 2.5 years ago when I discontinued the use of birth control pills. I am not menopausal, but due to abnormally low levels of hormones and lack of periods, my doctor put me them when I was about 20. I was on them for about 20 years.

When I got a blood clot 2.5 years ago, I had to stop taking the bc pills. My ob/gyn wanted me to start on HRT after I had discontinued the pills for about 6 months, but my hemotologist told her absolutely not. I begged and unfortunately, he said no, and I accepted this at the time, thinking he knew best.

I am now paying for it. I was an extremely healthy marathoner and gym enthusiast with no health problems whatsoever, to being someone with joint pain, a neuropathy, and possibly osteoarthritis along with many other problems. I have also had some early signs of lupus (mainly just the rash), but the rheumatologist started me on some medication which has kept the lupus from developing. (They suspect hormone level changes play a big part in the development of lupus also.)

I have done alot of research lately, and based on facts and my own unique health situation, I believe I could have simply prevented all these health problems from coming up with the HRT.

I am trying to cope with this new information, but have really been struggling. Running was my passion. It was like a drug for me. I am now very limited in what I can do.

I wondered if you had any advice for me, as far as what has helped with the neuropathy pain (hands and feet). Have you heard of any ways to reverse or help stop the nerve damage from worsening.

I am currently having foot and hand pain. I take about 200 milligrams of neurontin a day to help.

I am also looking into what HRT to start on. I want to be very careful, because since my hormone levels have been so low for the last 2.5 years, I am concerned that a spike up to levels that are too high, might also cause problems. Do you have any advice on this? Do you think my neuropathy will improve once I start?

Thanks,

Jean

I have often wondered myself if those of us who are low in hormones due to whatever reason might feel better with our neuropathy if we were able to try and balance our hormones out.

Speaking of hormones, i just had a massive hot flash....

Last edited by Chemar; 02-01-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: system edit needed
Hope15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:38 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Neither my doc nor I haven't ever noticed anything peculiar in my
hormone levels in over 10 yrs of this crud.
Mebbe its only affecting women's hormones ?
Old 01-30-2009, 09:39 AM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanf View Post
Hi Ann,

Thanks,

Jean
There was a doctor --Dr. Northrup on Oprah yesterday, who claimed that bioidentical hormones used topically in transdermal fashion, were safer for women with clotting problems. This is still controversial but many women use bioidentical forms of estrogen and progestin, this way. Different hormones are used and are very distinct from the synthetic ones taken in oral birth control or other products like Premarin or estradiol. Oprah's website may still have info on it from program yesterday.
The doctor's name is Christiane Northrup.
http://www.drnorthrup.com/
She has books out there too.

I would read up and then discuss with your doctor. Blood clots are a serious thing...not to be taken casually.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by Chemar; 02-01-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: system name edit needed :)
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:27 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

mrsd said: quote: "Blood clots are a serious thing".

Yep - they sure are. I lost my left kidney due to a blood clot. One formed in my left renal artery causing my left kidney to shrivel up and die...not to mention the intense pain as the kidney was dying.

DanP is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:57 PM #9
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default If not TEST! IF tested? Get tested AGAIN!

regarding your thyroid ... especially for any auto-immune hypo-thyroid issues.
If you check out thyroid specialty boards, you will find many folks there who suffer from PN, and especially around menopause.
I do know that my own thyroid tested 'normal' until they did the immune thyroid tests.. The thyroid got attacked after my peripheral nerves did by about 5 months... and all the while basic TSH tests after the first attack [and thy. meds adjusted] always read normal. But that thyroid wasn't just dying? it was DEAD! Treatments usually don't change a lot other than adding an immune issue to the menu. BUT things can get complicated in the future and it is good to know about and have in your records.
It only took me four years to get the tests for this? And it happened only because other immune issues cropped up.
I used to be VERY active before all this too! I miss that all dearly. Even trips to some docs are outside of my comfort zone these days. But, I keep going and keep trying! Just keep moving the best you can however you can and keep faith that we all get by in this all! Hugs and hope! - j 's
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:36 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I can add just a little here. Bioidentical hormones are plant (soy) based and are "suppose" to match our chemistry better than synthetic. Synthetic estrogen is derived from the urine of pregnant horses, and doesn't match our biological make up. Suzanne Sommers is a strong supporter of bioidentical hormones, according to her, they helped her fight breast cancer.
(They believe synthetic HRT is what caused my mother's breast cancer)
dmouse is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Leslie (02-01-2009)