The Stumble Inn The place for social chat for our M.S. community. The Stumble Inn

advertisement

Old 01-27-2009, 07:24 PM #1
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default Fireplace semi-disaster!

We're getting our new gas fireplace installed right now.

I'm about to freak out because this guy is doing all of his sawing in my family room. With a drop cloth, but the sawdust is going EVERYWHERE!

I'm in my room, dusting my electronics like crazy, covering things, closing cabinet doors.

I hope this guy brought a vacuum with him, because my vacuum isnt going to be able to handle the amount of dust and wood chips all over the floor. (if he uses mine, he's paying for a new one)

He was supposed to be done a few hours ago, and the fireplace was supposed to be actually working.. Apparently he screwed something up, and had to re-do a couple of steps (which meant more saw cutting on the wall of the house )

Now I dont think he's going to be done before 8pm CST, and the fireplace isnt going to have flames in it tonight.

They still need to do the tile tomorrow and the next day. I'm just freaking out because I have dust getting everywhere in my room. I'm trying to keep my door closed, but it's still getting in here.

and the noise is getting seriously irritating. I like power tools, but the power saw has such a high pitched whine...my ears dont like that, and I'm getting a headache.

and did I mention that I didnt fall asleep until 7am this morning, and the fireplace guy showed up at ten to 9? Oh, and I only had 2 hours of sleep the night before that?

I feel like crap, I'm so tired. I cant wait till this fireplace is done!! (I did "before" pictures, I'll take some "after" pictures when they finish.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 01-27-2009, 11:54 PM #2
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

ARRGGHH!
You mean he didn't put up a plastic drop cloth to seal the rest of the house from the dust???

We found out that using a shop vac while doing the sawing is a great help.

I'd ask him about both of those things!
Or ask him if he is doing ALL the clean up when he is done.

If he won't maybe tell him you'll get the stuff to do it and subtract the cost from his bill..

If all else fails - get sheets and plastic and cover as much as you can.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:01 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Is there a garage he can work in? I'd at least ask him if he can do it anywhere else...maybe he doesn't think it's a problem because nobody has asked him to move. At the very least I'd do what Jo suggested and ask him to put up some plastic...or put some up myself.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:08 AM #4
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Nope. No plastic. He was only cutting some 2x6 boards, but just doing several pieces of that is enough to get tons of dust all over.

He did vacuum up his mess, but he used a shop vac that he uses to do chimney sweeps. So, when he was using the vacuum hose to break up a few bits of sawdust that was stuck to the floor (he'd walked in and out of the house with snow on his shoes, and the sawdust got wet) he rubbed the carpet with the vacuum hose, and now there's gray streaks of stuff on the WHITE carpeting of my basement.

I ruined my vacuum going over the floor again after he left, and my vacuum made some of the gray streaks of dirt a little lighter, but still...my floor is all icky now!! And my vacuum is not very happy with me right now. (it has a dirt sensor, and the dirt sensor wont turn off now, so I think I either burned it out, or it's clogged or something)

I'm calling the guy who steam cleans our carpeting every year. But it's so cold that we might not get the carpeting cleaned right away. Takes forever to dry when it's cold.

I'd almost rather get new carpeting. (we really need new carpet upstairs, didnt need it so much downstairs until last night)

Oh, and today, we're getting the tile put in on our fireplace. This guy better do his tile cutting outside. Why? Because the tile is black with streaks of white marble running thru it. If he tries to cut it in here, he's going to get black marble dust all over everything. I dont care if it's cold outside, or if the patio is covered in snow and ice. I do not want another mess in my house.

They were supposed to do this a month ago...and it was warmer and there was no snow on the ground then. They cancelled that appointment and now they're doing this during a really cold and a bit snowy week. I dont care if I'm being a bit....witchy...about this, they can do their cutting outside from now on.

My dad had a problem with all that dust in the house last night. He has asthma, and was not very comfortable at all last night. I'm using his and my mom's asthma as the reason today for them to stay outside for any cutting and sawing of anything.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Old 01-28-2009, 09:36 AM #5
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

ask his supervisor to regain control, or if he is UNsupervised, YOU need to become his supervisor. Point out the black streaks, and the mess he left behind, and say "I CANNOT have this continue. WE need to figure out a way to be cleaner about this. I know I have some suggestions on how to cut back on the dust, and dirt, but I would like to hear YOUR Plan on how you want to do this better? Do you have a tarp? did you bring covers for your shoes? can you vacuum more often? Can you hang a partition to protect my electronics from all of the dust up?

If he didnt bring supplies, lay bath room rugs or towels as a run way for him, and ask him to stick to it. You can provide a bed sheet to tack up to the doorway to prevent most of the dust from escaping to the other rooms. Give him an old bed sheet to use UNDER his cuttings. Remind him that altho this is a work space for him, its a LIVING space for you, and you would hate to present a reduced payment so that you can provide for the clean up that he has left behind.

If he is a smarty pants, CALL his boss, or the place you got the stove from. Ask them to provide assurance that it will be cleaned to YOUR satisfaction, or they will pay for the pro clean up after.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:36 AM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin524 View Post
Oh, and today, we're getting the tile put in on our fireplace. This guy better do his tile cutting outside. Why? Because the tile is black with streaks of white marble running thru it. If he tries to cut it in here, he's going to get black marble dust all over everything. I dont care if it's cold outside, or if the patio is covered in snow and ice. I do not want another mess in my house.

They were supposed to do this a month ago...and it was warmer and there was no snow on the ground then. They cancelled that appointment and now they're doing this during a really cold and a bit snowy week. I dont care if I'm being a bit....witchy...about this, they can do their cutting outside from now on.

I would think that all it'd take is to request this from them. I cannot imagine that they'd refuse. But....they aren't mind readers so you'll just have to let them know what you want up front.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:57 AM #7
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

The tile guy who's coming today is not the same guy who was here yesterday. I'm hoping he's less messy than the guy from yesterday.

I just want the fireplace to be finished and not have any more strangers in the house.

Yesterday I was so sleep deprived. Hadnt slept much more than four hours in two days...(I think?) and the noise of the saw the guy used to cut the hole for the fireplace vent (it was a HUGE hole! I think a small child could have crawled thru that hole) That saw about drove me nuts...and then the circular saw (handheld kind) that he was using to cut the 2x6's on the floor in my house. The noise about drove me nuts.

I ended up going to bed at 10 or 1030 last night. (havent done that in a long time) I slept till about 730 or 8am this morning. So, I do feel better now. I just hope the tile guy today isnt as noisy or messy today. I dont think I have the ability to ignore the kind of noise I had to live with yesterday.

I think that guy should be here in a few minutes. Hope this goes better and cleaner today.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:41 PM #8
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

There you go, Erin . . . a few days like this and you might FINALLY have a normal sleep schedule.

I went through something similar when they laid my hardwood flooring. There is this green dust stuff that is on the backs of the boards, and it was stuck to everything. I just got it all clean, then they had to come back to do the stairs and landing. I made them cut it outside that time.

Men and construction.

Cherie
Old 01-28-2009, 01:52 PM #9
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

The guy who's doing the tile is here now...and I'm a lot more impressed with him. He said he'd cut the tile outside (gosh is that tile pretty!) and he's using a wet cutter for it, which means he needs warm water (it's cold outside, but the thermometer that's in the sun says it's 44...so I'd bet it's 10deg colder than that in real life)

He told me that he doesnt like to get the houses he works in dirty, so he tries to do everything he can to keep things clean. He was a little annoyed with yesterday's guy who installed the fireplace. He didnt like all the sawdust that he found all over the front and inside the fireplace. I guess he had to clean out the fireplace before he did anything to it with the tile.

Think he said the dust would cause problems with the grout or something.

He's also not slamming the back door constantly. (glass door that opens into the house) The door lock apparently didnt lock last night, even tho we thought it did. It locked this morning when the tile guy and I noticed it was a bit wonky.

At least this guy is a lot cleaner with our house. I'm still sneezing from the dust last night tho. I hope this is just allergies and not a cold moving in.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:22 PM #10
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

That's a relief, that this guy is much better.

If the other guy had a boss or company I'd still call and ask about carpet clean up costs {take pictures!}
And tell his boss how careless he was about keeping the area clean.
Maybe he is supposed to work cleaner, but if nobody complains the boss won't know....

Next time you'll know to ask how they protect the rest of the home from dust and damages before they even start the job.