Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 01-31-2009, 06:00 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Apolo

One of my seven dogs is 1/2 Australian sheppard. His name is Apolo Anton
Ono Kramer Hall. ( He is named after the speed skater Apolo Ono because he would run big circles in the back yard and really lean into it. We learned from early on that Apolo was a very smart dog. He was so easy to train all the basic commands like Sit, shake hands and lay down and speak.
When he had learned those, we taught him how to shut the door, look out the window and soon he learned how to take something to the other person. He waits until we say " Go ahead " and then eat. He is so attentive , looking straight in your eye for any command. If we lived in a big city, I know Apolo
is capable of doing much more as a service dog. He would do so good at fly ball
and other contests for dogs. We have been so proud of him, he is so special.
Truly a believer, Doodle bug
Doodle bug7 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (01-31-2009), Doody (02-01-2009)

advertisement
Old 01-31-2009, 08:46 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodle bug7
One of my seven dogs is 1/2 Australian sheppard. His name is Apolo Anton Ono Kramer Hall.
Hi there Doodle Bug.

As an Australian, it surprises me to read that your dog has Australian Shepperd in him when we don't have such a breed of dog in Australia.

DH and I have had German Shepperds that were born here in OZ, but I assure you that the breed is definitely not native to here.

Your dog has an interesting name, and I'm sure he's very beautiful. I was wondering what his pedigree was?

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:56 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Australian Shepherd Mix
Find australian shepherd mix photo gallery in rescues and ask questions about dogs for adoption. These are medium-sized, athletic dogs. ...

Old 02-01-2009, 02:40 PM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Doodle Bug, I LOVE Australian Shepherds! They are very popular on the west coast for some reason, or at least they were when I lived there many years ago.

I had one and his name was Bongo. Such a beautiful and smart dog!!

Australian Shepherds

Quote:
History of the breed

The Aussie can be a gentle shepherd
Would it surprise you to learn that the Australian Shepherd is the only livestock working breed developed in America? Contrary to his name, the Australian Shepherd is not an Australian breed at all. We can trace his early ancestors to sheep herds, many of which were brought from Australia. Basque shepherds on the west coast were known to have "little blue dogs with bob tails" in the late 1800's and early 1900's. Sheep were imported from France, Spain, England, New Zealand, and Australia along with shepherds with dogs. In the western United States the Basque shepherd and his little blue dogs came to represent shepherding as much as the Scotsman and his Collie in Britain. In Australia there are dogs similar to Aussies called German Coolies.

Other breeds have been observed in the above countries exhibiting some of our Aussie's characteristics. Although their exact origin is unknown, there is no doubt that the breed was developed in the western United States by livestock producers who used the dogs for working. The fact that the dogs also excelled as a cattle dog made them ideal for our many diverse farm and ranch operations. The breed evolved to the demands of their farm and ranch owners.

Aussies have been used for many purposes. Their use with livestock demanded a natural worker who was easy to train. Their devotion to their owners made them the ideal family farm dog which was needed to guard the homestead. Modern times have seen these talents used in even more diverse ways such as Search and Rescue, Drug Detection and Hearing and Handicap work. The original purpose of the breed as a working stockdog is still maintained across America on ranches and farms as well as through competition at stock dog trials.

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:35 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Bit of this and a bit of that.

I understand completely what you mean. Apolo was examined by our vet when we first got him. He talked about his eyes, how he has one eye that looks like a blue marble. There are millions of dogs that are part this and part that. One of my other dogs ,Treasure, is part chow and part golden retriever. He looks just like a golden retriever but his head resembles a chow, complete with a dark tongue. Sometimes people refer to their mixed dogs as Heinz 57.
Doodle bug7
Old 02-01-2009, 05:13 PM #6
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

My apologies ladies.

I looked up those sites and see that they call the cattle dog an Australian Shepperd. They are immensely loyal dogs, very obedient and make beautiful pets. I'm sure your's will be a excellent service dog.

Good luck to you and Apolo, Doodle bug.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 06:57 PM #7
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Aren't the Heinz 57 doggies the best? My last dog, Spookybaby, was half malamute, half golden retriever. She had the exact body of the retriever, but the colors of the malamute. She was such a sweetheart.

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote