The Stumble Inn The place for social chat for our M.S. community. The Stumble Inn

advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 02:37 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Oh deer! I feel like I am running a buffett!

We live in the suburbs and are surrounded by woods, and all the animals are great. As soon as we moved here, I put up a bird feeder. Last year my DH decided we should put the block food out as well. So we have three different kinds of bird food on our pole.

After I started putting the block food out, we started getting a lot of beautiful woodpeckers who come to visit. Not only do they eat our food, but they love to pick at the bugs on the tree which makes the bark fall off the tree.

The other day as I was putting new block food out, I noticed the bird feeder was suddenly empty, when a few days ago it was more than half full. So I refilled it.

That night the outside motion lights came on and I found out who has been eating all my bird seed -- deer! They started hunting deer down the road from me in the nature preserve this past fall so now more deer are in my backyard because of it. Watching these deer has been so wonderful. They see us inside and just stare at us like we're the ones who are where we shouldn't be.

There is a group of 6 of them. They eat the snow, eat the fallen bark from the tree, and eat the bird seed. Almost as if they are at a buffett and free to choose whatever suits their fancy. The biggest one just eats directly from the bird feeder. We even got to watch two deer clean each other. It was great. My DD was thrilled to watch them with me.

In these economic times bird food is the last thing I can afford to keep buying. So I asked my DD what am I going to do? She says - mom, you'll just keep buying them bird food. But be sure to get the same kind because they like it.

I am in awe over these deer whenever they are in my backyard, as well as any other animal that comes along, since I live in a very developed town with little nature life to speak of.
karousel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aarcyn (02-03-2009), AZjanie (02-02-2009), DM (02-04-2009), ewizabeth (02-02-2009), just drea (02-04-2009), SallyC (02-02-2009), Twinkletoes (02-02-2009), whispers (02-11-2009)

advertisement
Old 02-02-2009, 03:14 PM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

schucks. You are stuck with them now. our birdfood always gets overrun by squirrels. Wouldn't be so bad except they keep chewing the birdholes until they are big enough for the squirrel to get in.

I am not spoiled!
legzzalot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
just drea (02-04-2009), karousel (02-02-2009)
Old 02-02-2009, 05:23 PM #3
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

it's wonderful to watch nature and animals in their habitat.
be watchful of the dear, especially at dawn and dusk when they're about.
they can turn defensive, especially with young around. you will be seen an the interloper.

and make sure you don't attract any bears.
if you have wildlife officers near you call and ask them what's safe for you to do.

but i sure do envy you the thrill.
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
--------------------------------------
"DESIDERATA" by Max Ehrmann
NurseNancy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
just drea (02-04-2009), karousel (02-02-2009)
Old 02-02-2009, 08:07 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

No chance of bears here yet. There were a few black bears spotted about a half an hour away last year. I hear you on staying away from the deer because you never know what they might do. They are lovely to watch while in the safety of my home!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:22 PM #5
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

LOL, same here, the deer were stretching as high as an elephant's eye, I had to raise the feeders thrice to thwart them.

We have tons of turkeys too, rather agile little buggers.

Last year the feed bills got way too high and this past summer I focused on feeding hummies.

Contrary to popular opinion, my Wild Birds Unlimited people told me that in the suburbs, stopping the feeding cold turkey is not a problem.

This winter I've thrown down 20lbs. of cracked corn with sunflower seeds just for fun. It's enough to draw them near without becoming nature's soup kitchen.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
karousel (02-03-2009)
Old 02-03-2009, 12:18 AM #6
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karousel View Post
We live in the suburbs and are surrounded by woods, and all the animals are great. As soon as we moved here, I put up a bird feeder. Last year my DH decided we should put the block food out as well. So we have three different kinds of bird food on our pole.

After I started putting the block food out, we started getting a lot of beautiful woodpeckers who come to visit. Not only do they eat our food, but they love to pick at the bugs on the tree which makes the bark fall off the tree.

The other day as I was putting new block food out, I noticed the bird feeder was suddenly empty, when a few days ago it was more than half full. So I refilled it.

That night the outside motion lights came on and I found out who has been eating all my bird seed -- deer! They started hunting deer down the road from me in the nature preserve this past fall so now more deer are in my backyard because of it. Watching these deer has been so wonderful. They see us inside and just stare at us like we're the ones who are where we shouldn't be.

There is a group of 6 of them. They eat the snow, eat the fallen bark from the tree, and eat the bird seed. Almost as if they are at a buffett and free to choose whatever suits their fancy. The biggest one just eats directly from the bird feeder. We even got to watch two deer clean each other. It was great. My DD was thrilled to watch them with me.

In these economic times bird food is the last thing I can afford to keep buying. So I asked my DD what am I going to do? She says - mom, you'll just keep buying them bird food. But be sure to get the same kind because they like it.

I am in awe over these deer whenever they are in my backyard, as well as any other animal that comes along, since I live in a very developed town with little nature life to speak of.

In another thread, I posted video of a herd of seven deer that were scarfing up the bird feed my neighbors put out.

We're not really out in the sticks, but there is an open field behind my house, so there's still wildlife running around the neighborhood. We get deer, bunnies, raccoons, possums, and hawks (they eat the bunnies) and occasionally we've seen a bald eagle or two. (I think they eat the bunnies, raccoons and possums and occasionally the hawks)

Our latest encounter with the fauna was today. Our landscape lights have been burned out on one side of the house. The snow finally melted enough that we could get the company the replaces the bulbs and does the maintenance to come out.

The kid discovered why the lights dont work. The bunnies have been chewing on the wiring like it's licorice. There was a bunny under the window box while he was digging out the pieces of wire. He scared the bunny out when he started pulling the wire up. Thumper took off and hopefully he wont be back to chew on the new wiring.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
karousel (02-03-2009)
Old 02-03-2009, 07:33 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterMyNap View Post
LOL, same here, the deer were stretching as high as an elephant's eye, I had to raise the feeders thrice to thwart them.

We have tons of turkeys too, rather agile little buggers.

Last year the feed bills got way too high and this past summer I focused on feeding hummies.

Contrary to popular opinion, my Wild Birds Unlimited people told me that in the suburbs, stopping the feeding cold turkey is not a problem.

This winter I've thrown down 20lbs. of cracked corn with sunflower seeds just for fun. It's enough to draw them near without becoming nature's soup kitchen.
I'd raise the bird feeder except but I'd never be able to reach it! LOL. I do feed the humming birds up front and even actually see one once in a while. My neighbors have been feeding the humming birds for years so they prefer to go over there!
Old 02-03-2009, 07:37 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin524 View Post
We get deer, bunnies, raccoons, possums, and hawks (they eat the bunnies) and occasionally we've seen a bald eagle or two. (I think they eat the bunnies, raccoons and possums and occasionally the hawks)

The bunnies have been chewing on the wiring like it's licorice. There was a bunny under the window box while he was digging out the pieces of wire. He scared the bunny out when he started pulling the wire up. Thumper took off and hopefully he wont be back to chew on the new wiring.
We once watched a hawk swoop down and catch a squirrel leaving a trail of blood on the leaves at the edge of the woods. My DD was fascinated by that one!

I would love to see a bald eagle!! I'm envious.

That poor bunny. He could have gotten hurt. (never mind the damage he was doing)
Old 02-03-2009, 08:09 PM #9
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karousel View Post
We once watched a hawk swoop down and catch a squirrel leaving a trail of blood on the leaves at the edge of the woods. My DD was fascinated by that one!

I would love to see a bald eagle!! I'm envious.

That poor bunny. He could have gotten hurt. (never mind the damage he was doing)
I've only seen the eagle once. My neighbors however, have seen him a couple of times in the past year. (they're bird watchers, and I guess they've been luckier than me)

About a year or two ago, there was a hawk flying over our street. My aunt's dog was on her tie-out in front of her house across the street. I saw the hawk fly down to get Pudge, and Pudge ran towards and jumped at the hawk.

That hawk backpedaled into the air so fast! I guess it was hoping for an easy snack and thought Pudge would do. Pudge was a 15 pound Pug, and a tough little girl. (my 100 pound dog Tiny would always seem to defer to her...she was his boss) Pudge died last March, on the anniversary of when my dog Tiny died.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
karousel (02-04-2009), SallyC (02-03-2009)
Old 02-03-2009, 08:14 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you for sharing that story. Now I have this vision of Pug going after the hawk!
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (02-03-2009)