advertisement

Old 02-04-2009, 10:43 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Intresting article on anxiety symptoms and PN

Hello everyone,

I found this bit of a snippet on anxiety and PN when I was catching up on me reading. I hope everyone is doing well.

http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/cg.../full/14/3/354
Aussie99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-05-2009, 12:08 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am hard pressed to find anything that Mrs. A in the article did that anyone in her position would not do. After having lived through one episode of accute inflammatory demylinating polyneuropathy which resulted in hospitalization, immobilization and the need for extensive physical therapy her reaction to developing the same type tingling in her fingers seems entirely a normal reaction to me.

This sentance in the article "Even though the chance of relapse is less than five percent, she promptly contacted her neurologist to ask for a reevaluation." strikes me as being rediculous. In my opinion she did exactly what she should have done. Does the author really expect someone to sit around and say well there is only a 5 per cent chance that this would come come back so ill wait to see if its all in my head first?

We all know that PN has its highs and lows and indeed symptoms do come back after long periods of absence. In her case this is months later. I know i would be concerned if it were me. Better to make sure that the possible return of something potentially life threatening is examined and tested for than to wait until it is too late.

Also as most of us can attest a listing of possible symptoms would only be a partial list as symptoms vary widely according to the individual.

Anxiety can definitely play a part in exacerbation of symptoms as well as anger and other emotions, but this woman was responding to her returned symptoms in a most rational and understandable way in my opinion.
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Megan (02-10-2009)
Old 02-05-2009, 04:12 PM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Aussie? Good find....

in many ways.
Echoes....you are soo right, Mrs. A did all the right things, but it does sound like the evaluation and treatment was a bit patronising? DUH? When you get disabling numbness and can't walk...then your hands start-WELL? Who wouldn't have 'red alerts' screaming in their brains? And, with some good reason as well..that the doc did NOT test for further inflammatory issues is borderline negligent. [I know, I've gotten one of those tee shirts]. Not to mention that some 'PN progressions' can be very serious. Caution on the part of the patient, PLUS diligence on the part of the physician are both called for.
Doctors have asked me if I was 'anxious' about my neuropathy..and I've always replied that 'WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD'NT BE? -Of course I am!' Another DUH? moment? Issue has always been put to rest...with no further comment.
However, it can't rule your life... I know you both, Echoes and Aussie are troopers in trying to get on with things-tho they mite be different now? Life is going on. Hugs and hope to you and to all! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:02 PM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Angry I am...

I also am at odds with this article!

What if this patient has carpal tunnel? Or something else?

This quick judgement that it is "anxiety"?

This just bothers me no end. It illustrates how narrow minded doctors are!

I don't fault you Aussie for copying it here. In fact it is very good in illustrating the blinders that some doctors can have!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:09 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I also am at odds with this article!

What if this patient has carpal tunnel? Or something else?

This quick judgement that it is "anxiety"?

This just bothers me no end. It illustrates how narrow minded doctors are!

I don't fault you Aussie for copying it here. In fact it is very good in illustrating the blinders that some doctors can have!

I remember how dreadful it was to dicifer what symptoms were actually caused by my PN and what was from anxiety. And the many nights I would sit and wonder if anxiety is actually a physical complication/symptom of PN resulting purely from nerve dysfunction. When I read this article it struck a chord in me. Because if you can remember the lines were so blurry for me. One doctor called it plain old anxiety another called it autonomic dysfunction. It was the chicken and the egg at times too.

I think she did the right thing by seeking help. Lord knows how many GP bills I payed the first 2 years when my "anxiety" was out of control.

I wouldn't mind if the medical field explored this connection between anxiety, PN & autonomic instability caused by PN a bit more.

Cheers,
Aussie
Old 02-07-2009, 08:36 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie99 View Post
I remember how dreadful it was to dicifer what symptoms were actually caused by my PN and what was from anxiety. And the many nights I would sit and wonder if anxiety is actually a physical complication/symptom of PN resulting purely from nerve dysfunction. When I read this article it struck a chord in me. Because if you can remember the lines were so blurry for me. One doctor called it plain old anxiety another called it autonomic dysfunction. It was the chicken and the egg at times too.

I think she did the right thing by seeking help. Lord knows how many GP bills I payed the first 2 years when my "anxiety" was out of control.

I wouldn't mind if the medical field explored this connection between anxiety, PN & autonomic instability caused by PN a bit more.

Cheers,
Aussie
Totally know where your coming from, because I am there now. I sit and wonder what is anxiety and what is pn. I think I mentally have caused muscle twitches just from anxiety. This is getting expensive too, I am finding it so hard to relax, without spending money(therapist, massage, etc.) I also had myself convinced last week, I had autonomic pn, which the doc dismissed. Well its nice to know I am not going crazy alone, but don't wish this on anyone!
sadfeet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:33 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadfeet View Post
........., I am finding it so hard to relax, without spending money(therapist, massage, etc.).......
Take up a hobby. Knitting, crocheting, underwater basket weaving, ukulele, being a roadie.......whatever.
I started to play the banjo, clawhammer style, a little over 2 yrs ago.
\Works for me. better than Valium.
sadfeet (02-08-2009)
Old 02-09-2009, 03:30 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadfeet View Post
Totally know where your coming from, because I am there now. I sit and wonder what is anxiety and what is pn. I think I mentally have caused muscle twitches just from anxiety. This is getting expensive too, I am finding it so hard to relax, without spending money(therapist, massage, etc.) I also had myself convinced last week, I had autonomic pn, which the doc dismissed. Well its nice to know I am not going crazy alone, but don't wish this on anyone!

http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/wom...sautonomia.htm

I like the above website alot. It explains dysautonomia well. In my case, I had that, or slight autonomic instability rather than autonomic PN. Fuzzy lines I know.

But even "slight" autonomic instability can cause havoc on a person.

I feel for you. I suffered more from this than the pain from the PN. Never knowing if I was going to make it through the night, convinced I was doomed. All tests coming back normal. Fleeting symptoms I could not substantiate. Finally one day I said to myself "let the chips fall where they may,if it is my destiny to die today it's going to happen and I can't stop it."

I got sick and tired of worrying. Finally the anxiety has abated to where I can live relatively normaly again. I hope the same happens for you. If you need to talk you are welcome to PN me.

Aussie