advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 11:18 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Weird Sensitive To Touch?

Hi Guys,

I've recently had a flare up, shooting/stabbing pains down my lower back and legs.

Anyway, this caused the allodynia to get worse, but i've developed what i would class as weird as now everything feels weird.

For instance, when i get dressed, it feels as if i can feel -all- the small fibres on the top, like its too -fluffy- or something, it feels soo weird against my skin, feel it on my bed sheet/quilt too.

Is this normal in neuropathy? i dont like it!!!
DCjuggler is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-11-2009, 09:00 AM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default I don't know if anything is "normal" in neuropathy--

--paradoxically, one can say "everything is normal".

When it comes to disrupted sensory nerves, one can all manner of weird sensations that don't correspond to any stimulus. Shooting, stabbing, tingling, lancating, electrical, feelings of liquid flowing, feelings of insects creeping, feelings of plastic coating skin, weird sensations of "sponginess", radiating numbness, plain old numbness--and I'm sure I'm forgetting some descriptions that have been used here and other places . . .

Depending on what nerves are involved and how the brain is interpreting erroneous signals, one can get spontaneous sensations of just about anything it is possible to "feel" from actual stimuli. Interestingly, there's not much correlation between the sensation and the degree of nerve impingment or damage--it's a very individual situation.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:24 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I get that too

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCjuggler View Post
Hi Guys,

I've recently had a flare up, shooting/stabbing pains down my lower back and legs.

Anyway, this caused the allodynia to get worse, but i've developed what i would class as weird as now everything feels weird.

For instance, when i get dressed, it feels as if i can feel -all- the small fibres on the top, like its too -fluffy- or something, it feels soo weird against my skin, feel it on my bed sheet/quilt too.

I get it too... varies on sensitivity.... I've got used to it now, though. I've tried to explain some of the sensations to friends... one strange feeling is almost a remembrance of childhood...

When I was a child we would go walking across the fields, in our wellington boots. Anyway, often we would walk through puddles that were much deeper than we thought... and the water would rise so high it filled up the boots.

So you ended walking a fair way with cold water slooshing around your calves... and then once you'd emptied them, you still had to walk along with cold, wet calves all the way home.

I get a lot of that sensation... I call it getting the wellies... at first it was very disconcerting, but now its just there.

I hope yours clears up soon. Good luck.
susanjpullen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:31 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCjuggler View Post
Hi Guys,

I cant stand many fabrics and so many that I could stand before I now find I need to turn them inside out because the outer side is usually smoother than the inner...so much of whatever I wear next to my skin in inside out! I have had to go to polyester sheets...cant stand cotton blends or flannel. And polyester blends are getting harder to find. Maybe silk next at the rate I am going.
sbvcrn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitt (02-13-2009)
Old 02-13-2009, 04:25 PM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I use...

I use jersey sheets (bottoms).

And I haven't used a top sheet since before menopause.
Top sheets block air circulation and hug the body, and this is
just unbearable to me. I have a thin cotton comforter, that is
really not very warm, that I use instead of a sheet. It puffs up and doesn't smother my feet. Then when it gets really cold,
I have another polyester comforter I put over that.

I haven't been able to tolerate a top sheet for ages.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitt (02-13-2009)
Old 02-16-2009, 10:14 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I use jersey sheets (bottoms).

And I haven't used a top sheet since before menopause.
Top sheets block air circulation and hug the body, and this is
just unbearable to me. I have a thin cotton comforter, that is
really not very warm, that I use instead of a sheet. It puffs up and doesn't smother my feet. Then when it gets really cold,
I have another polyester comforter I put over that.

I haven't been able to tolerate a top sheet for ages.
Mrs. D
Very interesting. I forgot to mention, I too, use Jersey sheets AND do not use a top sheet, only a light comforter (and another one on top of that if it is too cold). Works for me too, that with the smoother side of fabrics next to my body I can tolerate most regular clothes (forget sweaters that is for sure or my ole 100 % wool navy "pea coat". Alas!)
sbvcrn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote