Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 06:43 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default HELP! I may be a new CAT owner

S.O.S. Need some advice...as soon as possible!

I can NOT believe the last two weeks or so. I hope I do NOT offend any cat lovers around here. I assure you I do NOT have anything against kitties. I am partial to dogs, but do like kittens and cats. I recall when my cat died several years ago, I thought I would cry my eyes out.

A good two weeks ago, a cute, small female cat showed up at my side garage door. We keep the garbage cans there. My dh wanted to feed her. I said "NO!" I said I would not have a cat and surely it would either find its way home or another family would adopt her. Besides, I have a dog AND I have a "THING" about kitty litter boxes.

To my surprise, the kitty just kept hanging around.

Several days ago, I was gone all day and pulled into the drive way and the poor kitty was laying in my front yard, barely moving, in the sun...and looked to be half dead. I was sick!
Filled with despair! I thought it had been hit by a car...but there was no blood. It's back hip looked distored, boney, and she was doing this weird thing with her head...almost like she couldn't lift it up well.

I put a throw rug in a basket, but the cat in it and took it to the vet. She took a blood test for feline leukemia and feline aids...negative. She examined it and said it did not seem to have anything broken. She said it was dehydrated and practically STARVING. We fed it and it ate like crazy. It could NOT stand up. She said its back legs had atrophied and was not sure it would make it through the night!

We kept in the basket over night and she did very well.

This weekend...I've been in a seminar all weekend. We put the cat on the back porch for the past several days. We've been giving her food and water. After the first night, it stood up and walked around. The second night, it was walking much better. Today, she looks real good...just a little wobbly. She does seem to have some problems with her vision...although we are not sure.

The porch is NOT screened in. We have lots of shade trees and nice weather. We have a very tall wooden fence more or less protecting the back yard.

I am at a loss as to what to do next.

We are keeping the dog (little dog) away from the cat. She appears to be very young and petite...perhaps one or two years old. She is also underweight (obviously). She has white paws, a pink nose with white around it, and her body is mostly black and gold.

Her hip looks a little boney and she walks a little funny...but again...every day she looks significantly better. Every day, she walks better...faster...more self assured.

What test should I opt for next? What she we feed her? We are feeding her a high caloric canned food from the vets office...need to go w/ something less expensive. Should I get her vitamins? She is filthy. Can I bathe her? The vet said NO! Too traumatic. What about wipes of some kind. What should I concern myself with regarding a very sick cat???

Is it humane to keep a cat in the back yard? Is it safe? What about those electrical collars/fences? They seem creepy to me.

I did not anticipate this situation. She is rather cute...I am getting attached. I am at a loss. Frankly, I can tell my DH is falling head over heels and I am soon to be there...

HELP!
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (02-15-2009), Bearygood (02-16-2009), Doody (02-15-2009), just drea (02-16-2009), LavandulaCanadensis (02-16-2009), waves (02-18-2009)

advertisement
Old 02-14-2009, 07:11 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

When a cat chooses you, that is about "it"....

I wouldn't fight it. She will be very grateful and probably a very
good pet.

My son was taking out the trash to the dumpster last winter when a kittie adopted him at his townhouse. (he has two already).
She just ran in between his legs into the house! ( he discovered later that she was surviving the terrible cold by living under the dryer vents...she smelled like fabric softener when he took her in).

She was very thin, but has turned out to be a great cat. (her only fault is going thru
the garbage...because that is how she survived. So my son keeps the garbage in a
closed closet--but she still gets in there occasionally.)

I would see what develops. If things do not go well, you can take her to a shelter for adoption. But you may also be very pleased with her.

I'd give her a chance.

This picture is a recent one of Tima.... like I said...she is very grateful!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 12-04-2010 at 03:34 PM.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (02-15-2009), Bearygood (02-16-2009), Doody (02-15-2009), LavandulaCanadensis (02-16-2009), Vowel Lady (02-15-2009), waves (02-18-2009)
Old 02-14-2009, 09:55 PM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I wonder how many of us have the same or similar story as to how we aquired a cat? I know I do.

Mine was a tiny little black and white cat who appeared to be starving. I thought I'd feed her "just this once" ......... and the rest is history.

I loved her very much, and she passed away from cancer......12 years later.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (02-15-2009), Doody (02-15-2009), LavandulaCanadensis (02-16-2009), mrsD (02-15-2009), Vowel Lady (02-15-2009)
Old 02-15-2009, 07:48 AM #4
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member

Every cat we ever owned wandered in and stayed, in spite of the dogs.
And they became good friends...I have pictures to prove it, if I could lay my hands on them I'd post them. the sooner they are introduced to each other, the better.

Have fun. *grin

Alffe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (02-15-2009), LavandulaCanadensis (02-16-2009), mrsD (02-15-2009), Vowel Lady (02-15-2009)
Old 02-15-2009, 09:16 AM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

diet... all cats need high fat high protein diets. I would get kitten chow for the extra calcium it has-- Eukanuba is the best one IMO. Once she starts to fill out, check her teeth. This is where cats may show alot of damage.

I would not use any soaps on her or wipes. If she is really dirty, and this is NOT petroleum based dirt, I'd just put warm water on a paper towel, and stroke her with it. A fine toothed comb from the pet store (flea comb), will remove fleas and large dirt. Drown the fleas if they come up in a dish of liquid dish soap and water (rinse the comb before grooming again). Wipe her down so you don't transfer any soap back to her--it will make her vomit. A good flea comb and groom will take care of most flea problems if done every day for about two weeks. No chemicals are needed.

Oreo was very healthy when we adopted her, but she was covered in fleas. I had to comb her alot! Cats can really like to roll in the dirt...Oreo does this up North, where we feed the deer. And they will do this in the street too! Oreo can turn herself gray on her white parts, with it. This drives me nuts...but they always appear clean in the house.
So "dirt" is a relative term for what appears on cats sometimes.
Any oil residue, or gasoline should be removed at the vets.

I wouldn't get shots for her until she is stronger.

edit to add... this picture was on icanhascheezburger.com
appropriately this morning! LOL

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by mrsD; 12-04-2010 at 03:34 PM.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (02-15-2009), LavandulaCanadensis (02-16-2009), Vowel Lady (02-15-2009), waves (02-18-2009)
Old 02-15-2009, 03:52 PM #6
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD
When a cat chooses you, that is about "it"....

I wouldn't fight it. She will be very grateful and probably a very
good pet.
LOL that about says it all. My Chewie was the same way when he came into my life, and well...he's just too special. Annie, my feral, also adopted me.

No, please don't shampoo her! She could go into shock and since she's recovering I just don't think that a good idea. Mrs. D has tons of good ideas.

You might ask your vet about the vitamins I told you about...the ones my vet suggested for daughter's dog Otto. He loves those. For the life of me I can't remember what they are, but they are in Otto's thread I think, somewhere. I think I messaged you the name of it as well.

Bless your heart! That poor little thing starving and dehydrated and along came 2 wonderful humans.

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
LavandulaCanadensis (02-16-2009), mrsD (02-15-2009), Vowel Lady (02-15-2009), waves (02-18-2009)
Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have been reading your posts and taking all the information in. They have been MOST helpful and I am MOST appreciative.
I've had a very busy week and a particularly busy weekend. So, getting some much needed input was greatly helpful and comforting as well.

The kitty is doing very well. She is eating like a horse!

She seems to like living in the back yard. She has made herself a home out of a tilted large flower pot!

My husband is totally GA GA over the cat and I am GA
LOL! She is sooooo cute! I have been most contemplative (see below).

My dog is having a complete nervous breakdown. She discovered today that we are feeding the cat wet cat food which is what the vet originally suggested. We give the dog dry dog food..which she got use to. NOW she is UPSET. I found a small can of wet dog food and gave her some to make sure she didn't have a FIT. I'm fairly sure this dog has reasoning powers.

So...Mrs. D...tell me about this Eukanuba? Is it wet or dry? Can I mix wet and dry cat food together? Any advantages of doing this? I'm thinking of doing this now with my doxie ...a tiny bit of both (so I don't have a revolt on my hands).

Thank you both for warning me about no baths or even wipes and giving me ideas on what to do next.

Seems I'll need to buy a comb....

When she gets healthier, we'll take her back to the vet to discuss vacinations.

We are having family discussions re: a name. The one that seems most likely is Cupcake.

THIS MIGHT BRING A TEAR TO YOUR EYE...IT DOES TO MINE....
Your stories were so accurate and so touching. They hit me hard.
Many years ago, a female cat walked into my life. She LITERALLY WALKED THROUGH THE FRONT DOOR. I had a dog...she didn't care. She made herself at home. I threw her out. The next day, I opened the door to get the mail, and she came back in. This went on for several days, and I just gave up and fed her. She parked herself on the chair for 18 years! When I was pregnant with my son, she parked herself on my stomach!!!!
She stayed there for 8 months. I had a difficult pregnancy. I was scared. She helped me. She kept me company. She looked mighty funny on top of my big stomach...I was HUGE! I NEVER put the cat there...she just showed up one day on her own and from the beginning. I delivered one month early. When the baby came...she left my tummy and stayed in the bassinet. I was AMAZED. I've had lots of pets come and go. I always cry when the end comes. But when this one passed on...I cried very, very hard. To this day, sometimes when I think of her...my eyes tear up.l

Last edited by Vowel Lady; 02-16-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Vowel Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (02-17-2009), just drea (02-16-2009), LavandulaCanadensis (02-16-2009), misshayleesmom (02-20-2009), waves (02-18-2009)
Old 02-16-2009, 11:54 AM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I think

all pet owners cry like babies when their beloved friend dies.

You can't have all the rest, the fun and love, and laughing and not cry somewhere along the way! We all have these feelings.

Sounds like the dog is revenge eating. That is what I call it.
Food is #1 to animals. When they see another animal appear, they get worried that they will no longer get enough food. It is only natural. We give each of our cats a treat each day...it is a treat the others don't eat. This keeps the friction down for us alot.
3 female cats in a house can be hissy.

Dogs are notorious for eating cat food. This is because cat food is actually high in fat and protein...so the dogs are drawn to it.
Dog food has lower ratios and more carbs.

We use both wet food and dry. The dry is Eukanuba..which is the higher end of IAMS. I prefer IAMs products because they were the first with EFA technology in them over a decade ago.
Our oldest cat got acne and itching from cheaper dry kibble which was high in corn. Some cats cannot tolerate corn.
The nutritional level of Eukanuba is very good, and our cats are never ill or sick and look very nice and shiney.

If you think she is a kitten still, the kitten version of Eukanuba is excellent. And if she stays outside alot, you'll have to make a house for her. Some people use a styrofoam cooler upside down with a door, and mat inside. She can keep some water and kibble outside, away from rain, etc. If she is really feral she may never come in, or do so only partially. If she were a pet, and abandoned, she will come inside more comfortably.
My son's Tima, loves it indoors...but she tries to run out sometimes but at least she doesn't cry or howl to go out. (he keeps them all inside). We had a friend who adopted a cat not knowing it was mostly very feral. It tore out the bottom of the foundation mattress and lived inside that!

Cupcake is a really cute name. I like it!
Our youngest cat is Oreo-- she was named by the little girls who played with all kittens in her litter. So we kept that when I adopted here, it was cute.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (02-17-2009), LavandulaCanadensis (02-16-2009), Vowel Lady (02-16-2009), waves (02-18-2009)
Old 02-16-2009, 06:46 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Vowel Lady, I agree that mrsD's post said it all! When a cat adopts you, that's it!!

I made my family unwitting cat lovers when I brought a kitten home at the age of 6. My parents said "no way!" I lied and said the people I got her from had gone away on vacation.
Then it became "one more day" -- and it turned into 18 years (with other cats joining our family along the way).

Congratulations on your new addition!
Bearygood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (02-17-2009), LavandulaCanadensis (02-16-2009), Vowel Lady (02-16-2009)
Old 02-16-2009, 07:29 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

ah, its so true, when a cat adopts you... you can't escape from its claws... and even if you tried, it will manage to hypnotize you and melt your heart...

over about 30 years, i rescued approx. 100 cats...
cleaned then, de-flead them, fed them, and loved them before i found them new families...
if i had not become so allergic, i would still do it...

however, i'm not allergic to dogs... 4 adopted me temporarily last year... and if i had the right place to rescue dogs, that's what i'd start doing... i know i will... the minute i get the right place...

imho, we may seem to be more attracted by cats or by dogs, but, in fact, when we love one or the other, we're already possessed by the other one as well... we're not the owner... they are !

this pic from icanhascheezburger is also cute...

Canadensis

Monday, Feb. 9: FULL MOON - Tuesday, Feb. 24: New Moon - Tuesday, March 10: FULL MOON

DAILY CHALLENGES: MOBILITY ISSUES, EDS, DISCAL HERNIAS, SCOLIOSIS, SCIATICA, SPONDYLOLISTHESIS, OSTEOARTHRITIS, CHRONIC PAIN, E PETIT-MAL, TBI, TINNITUS, HEADACHES, MIGRAINES, TN, ANXIETY, DEPRESSION, PTSD, FM, CFS, BRONCHO-ASTHMA, MENOPAUSE, HYPOTHYROIDISM, HYPOGLYCEMIA, PREDIABETES, IBS, DAIRY & GLUTEN SENSITIVE, MULTIPLE ALLERGIES INCL. FOODS, MCS…
LavandulaCanadensis is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (02-17-2009), Vowel Lady (02-16-2009), waves (02-18-2009)