advertisement

Old 02-25-2009, 12:39 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Burning back....

I was wondering if anyone here also suffers from burning in their back. I have pain and burning in the usual spots, legs, arms, feet, hands, but sometimes my back feels like hot lava from the neck down to my behind. My burning mid back was one of my first symptoms. I have had an MRI on my lower spine, and though it has arthritis and compressed disks, they said there were no obvious nerve compression. I am now having MRI's on my thoracic and cervical spine on Monday. I had asked for these even though the neurologist there does not believe that is what is causing any of my neuropathy, but I think it is important to check out the condition of my spine. When I had an MRI in the eighties, I was told that I have compressed vertebraes in my neck, so I want to see whats going on. Anyone else deal with burning and pain in their back?
Hope15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 02-25-2009, 07:56 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope15 View Post
I was wondering if anyone here also suffers from burning in their back. I have pain and burning in the usual spots, legs, arms, feet, hands, but sometimes my back feels like hot lava from the neck down to my behind. My burning mid back was one of my first symptoms. I have had an MRI on my lower spine, and though it has arthritis and compressed disks, they said there were no obvious nerve compression. I am now having MRI's on my thoracic and cervical spine on Monday. I had asked for these even though the neurologist there does not believe that is what is causing any of my neuropathy, but I think it is important to check out the condition of my spine. When I had an MRI in the eighties, I was told that I have compressed vertebraes in my neck, so I want to see whats going on. Anyone else deal with burning and pain in their back?
Is your whole back burning or something very focal?
If it's diffused over most of the back it's part of whatever is affecting the rest of your body. If it's focal it could be some compressed disc.
chamade is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:20 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamade View Post
Is your whole back burning or something very focal?
If it's diffused over most of the back it's part of whatever is affecting the rest of your body. If it's focal it could be some compressed disc.
Sometimes it feels as if my entire back is burning. At other times its in one area, like the center of my middle back, or the neck area itself.
Hope15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:18 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope15 View Post

My back burns too, in fact it bothers me even more than my feet now, which have become so numb and tight that normal sensation in them is much diminished. It started in my buttocks and shoulders and progressed to my mid back where it is now and has been for over 2 years. I feel like I constantly have a bad sunburn. I mentioned it to my neurologist and he said that it is normal. I can live with it (I don’t take any medications because of an allergic reaction to Topaman and don’t like how Neurontin affects my brain). My face has started tingling and I’m dreading when it starts burning too.

Everything you read talks about the feet and sometimes hands but the peripheral nervous system consists of every nerve that is not in the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). The peripheral nervous system nerves can be sensory, motor or autonomic. Just keep on hoping that your symptoms remain entirely or primarily sensory.
Linda6 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:32 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I just have the normal sunburn pain on my back. Normal for progressive SFN, which now covers my entire exterior. Doesn't really bother me unless someone slaps me on the back or sitting back against a chair back for a long time (which doesn't happen cause my butt burns long before that can happen).
jsrail is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:20 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have burning that comes and goes and changes areas. Sometimes its my lower back, or lower leg, or shoulders, or face, etc.... I have idiopathic sfn - non-length dependent. The pain bothers me more than the burning.
jahk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote