The Stumble Inn The place for social chat for our M.S. community. The Stumble Inn

advertisement

Old 02-26-2009, 07:30 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Should McDonald's pay?

I heard this story on the news last night. I am angry that McDonald's won't pay for the medical bills so I thought I'd post it here and see what everyone else thought. The whole story can be found on ABCnews . com.

Last August Nigel Haskett, an employee at a McDonald's in Littlerock, Ark. saw a woman being assaulted inside the restaurant. He defended the woman, pushed the guy assaulting her out the door when he was shot in the chest. The police called him a hero. He has $300,000 in unpaid medical bills and still has a bullet close to his spine. On the news last night they showed his scars from the surgeries he has had and he went into detail about the organ damage he suffered.

McDonald's now refuses to pay his medical expenses saying Nigel's actions were not within the scope of his employment. The individual owner of the McDonald's where Nigel was working said if McDonald's corporation and the insurance company won't pay the bills, he will pay them himself. He feels McDonald's is responsible for the safety of its customers. Nigel did say that if he had a chance to do it all over again, knowing the outcome, he would do it again because it was the right thing to do.

I just can't help but wonder why McDonald's won't pay for these medical bills. IMO, this guy is commendable for sticking his neck out to help a complete stranger.

Tell me what you think. If you were the employee at a store and saw something like this happen, would you jump in to help? Is a corporation responsible for the safety of it's customers? Should McDonald's pay for Nigel's medical bills?
karousel is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (03-01-2009), Jappy (02-27-2009), SallyC (02-26-2009), soxmom (02-26-2009), Victor H (02-26-2009)

advertisement
Old 02-26-2009, 07:51 AM #2
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I'd want to hear how they arrived at that decision, what their written policies are, more details. I could easily get "het up", and of course I agree that paying up would be the right thing to do, but I'd want more facts. Things aren't always as they seem.

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Blessings2You is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
karousel (02-26-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 09:30 AM #3
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

That's a loaded question, Karousel, it requires a loaded answer:

Legally: NO, they are not responsible for his actions outside of his job description.

Morally: Perhaps, but precedent and liability often outweigh the benefits of the action in question.

Ethically: In a heartbeat, it's the note of class demonstrated by responsible corporations.

Generally: You can be certain that an entire bank of PR/Ad and legal experts pored over this dilemma at length and chose to protect the corporation.

Personally, I'm torn. The law enforcement agencies always warn against "heroic" actions for this very reason. However, until one is faced with the question of whether to intervene, his/her notions about such a decision are moot.

That said, having spent my career in the marketing mix, I recognize the bigger questions involved with such an action and a lot of it is NOT politically correct so I won't elucidate on it. Please let it suffice to say that such a payment would open many cans of worms for the company.

The solution, in my mind, would be for the actual store to hold locally funded events to generate the money in a "hometown hero" frame that does not involve the corporation.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (02-26-2009), Jappy (02-27-2009), karousel (02-26-2009), NurseNancy (02-26-2009), tovaxin_lab_rat (02-26-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 09:48 AM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karousel View Post
McDonald's now refuses to pay his medical expenses saying Nigel's actions were not within the scope of his employment. The individual owner of the McDonald's where Nigel was working said if McDonald's corporation and the insurance company won't pay the bills, he will pay them himself. He feels McDonald's is responsible for the safety of its customers. Nigel did say that if he had a chance to do it all over again, knowing the outcome, he would do it again because it was the right thing to do.

I just can't help but wonder why McDonald's won't pay for these medical bills. IMO, this guy is commendable for sticking his neck out to help a complete stranger.
I believe that most retail establishments assume the responsibility of the safety of their customers.....but the customer also assumes some responsibility by going into an establishment where the public is allowed. Anytime you go out in public you're putting yourself at some risk. If something happens to a customer inside of an establishment and it's clearly due to negligence of the business then of course they should pay (and most always do). If something happens due to no fault of the establishment then I believe it's just part of the risk we all take when we venture out in public.

The employee absolutely had the right idea by trying to protect the customer.....but at some point everyone has to take responsibility for their actions and the consequences of them.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
karousel (02-26-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Reading your responses helps me take the emotion out of my feelings towards this. That's exactly why I posted it. I knew I'd get some clear-headed responses. My father said he was going to boycott McDonald's over this but he doesn't even eat there. LOL.

I know the corporation is not legally responsible and I can definitely see why they don't want to get involved in this. If I owned the company I would definitely have different feelings. If they do pay for these medical expenses, who knows what would happen from that point on. Would employees take advantage of that?

Blessingtoyou - I think their policy is written in a way that says they won't pay for these kinds of things. And I would love to hear more from McDonald's directly, not just an individual owner of one.

AMN, I was thinking the same thing - the community could work together to raise money to help especially since they are so upset about the medical expenses not being paid and feel the employee was a hero in what he did.

Kitty I agree so much with what you wrote: "The employee absolutely had the right idea by trying to protect the customer.....but at some point everyone has to take responsibility for their actions and the consequences of them." I still think they should pay since it would be nice but no longer feel so strongly about it. Thanks putting it perspective.
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (02-26-2009), Kitty (02-26-2009), SallyC (02-26-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM #6
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Good question and answers. I'm with your Dad Karousel. I'm boycotting them too.
(But I don't remember the last time I was in one, lol.)

Turn Left at the next election.

RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
karousel (02-26-2009), SallyC (02-26-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 11:06 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Wiz -the question is do you want to remember when you were last in one?? LOL
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (02-26-2009), ewizabeth (02-26-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 11:35 AM #8
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewizabeth View Post
Good question and answers. I'm with your Dad Karousel. I'm boycotting them too.
(But I don't remember the last time I was in one, lol.)
Okay, Wiz, that's just pathetic. Everyone knows that the big, yellow "M" means free public restroom, usually clean, always accessible.

I go in McDonald'ses all the time.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (02-26-2009), SallyC (02-26-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 11:48 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

AMN glad to know I'm not the only one!!
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (02-26-2009), ewizabeth (02-26-2009), SallyC (02-26-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 12:34 PM #10
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Next time you go in, TP their bathroom..

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
karousel (02-26-2009)