Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 10:09 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused L4 L5 fusion w/ Instrumentation

Hello I am new here, 32 live in Ca. I am having my spine fused March 25 and I am scared out of my mind! I have scoliosis as well so he is putting a rod in. I do not know what to expect but reading some of your posts has helped. Any input you may have will help me greatly! THANKS
smollick76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-03-2009, 07:27 AM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I had my 5th surgery this past October. Things are going well. I have more pain from my fibro right now then anything.

My advise is to ask all kinds of question...how they will manage your after surgery pain...that is a very important question.

I wish you the best!!! You'll do fine! Prayers for you!!

“Being my sweethearts full-time care partner, I have to remind myself, when some well-meaning friend or relative questions my methods or motives, that I know more than they do because I Live this life 24/7, and they only come for short visits.” Tamiloo

Gotta love my Olhipie! Dx'd RRMS 1986, SPMS 2004

Watch my Olhipie Skiing....

tamiloo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:41 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Smollick ........My advice ....Dont do it ......LAST RESORT ONLY........... ive had L4/5 AND L5/S1 FUSED AND IT DIDNT HELP AT ALL IN FACT IM WORSE,MUCH WORSE, PLEASE CHECK OUT SACROILIAC PROBLEMS ,TRY VICKI SIMMS IN GAINSVILLE, AND FOR EXCERSISES, LOSE THE BACK PAIN,SURGERYS FAIL 50% OF THE TIME AT LEAST, SOUNDS LIKE SACROILIAC TO ME ALSO CAUSES SCOLIOSES, RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH , BEST OF LUCK AUSSIE
Quote:
Originally Posted by smollick76 View Post
Hello I am new here, 32 live in Ca. I am having my spine fused March 25 and I am scared out of my mind! I have scoliosis as well so he is putting a rod in. I do not know what to expect but reading some of your posts has helped. Any input you may have will help me greatly! THANKS
aussie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

i had the lower spine fused in 2004. it hurts like a total biatchhhhh after the surgery but it gets better. and they gave me morphine. my surgery worked i like i had the L4 or whatevers fused hahaha i don't know which spine disk thingies they were but it was the lower back. i have aches everyday but they go unnoticed for the most part. you will be fine! sounds like something you have to do anyway.. if you have scoliosis.
alien is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:59 AM #5
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

My 16 yr old niece had severe scoliosis and rotation that was progressing quite quickly. So they did a 9 level fusion, I believe it was, with hardware. She seems to be doing fine now, her surgery was just last summer.

I do suggest getting second or third opinions and going with the best surgeon you can find.

You can always postpone the surgery if you aren't comfortable with the decision yet.
If you decide to do that, it's best to let them know as soon as possible so they can change the scheduling at the hospital and for the Dr.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:56 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo*mar View Post
My 16 yr old niece had severe scoliosis and rotation that was progressing quite quickly. So they did a 9 level fusion, I believe it was, with hardware. She seems to be doing fine now, her surgery was just last summer.

I do suggest getting second or third opinions and going with the best surgeon you can find.

You can always postpone the surgery if you aren't comfortable with the decision yet.
If you decide to do that, it's best to let them know as soon as possible so they can change the scheduling at the hospital and for the Dr.
hi im teenaged and have scoliosis i wanted to find out more about scoliosis since the docter said its more than likely that i will need surgery does it hurt and did it disable your neice from any activities since i do ballet and would like to continue../???
worries is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote