Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 01:12 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default 8 mm disc protrusion at L5 S1

Hi,
I was recently diagnosed (January 11) with this 8 mm protrusion at L5 S1 (with some misshaping of the disc at L4 L5 also), and have so far treated with physical therapy twice a week, and huge doses of Motrin and some other pill that makes me stumble at night, thus allowing a good night sleep. I am 35 years old, and fairly active. I was in a car accident 8 years ago where I sprained and strained neck, back, shoulders, etc. No breaks or known fractures. In 2001 I started with pt for 6 months and then they said they couldn't help me anymore. They suggested chiro, which I did frequently for about a year and a half. When I started chiro, my soft tissue had healed my spine in a shifting pattern, with each vertebrae a little to the side of the one one above it. After the chiro treatment, the head dr. said they would no longer treat me, that I had chronic pain and would just have to learn to live with it. One of the nicer chiro's suggested a massage therapist I have been seeing for about 7 years. She lengthens the time in between having severe pain, but she is pricey, and I have to keep going back. My most recent trouble came in January, when I was doing playground duty. I took a step and thought I was going to hit the ground. That's how I found out about the protrusion. It was pushing against nerves, causing shooting pain, numbness, tingling, etc. I actually thought there was something wrong with my hips, as that's where the pain really was.
So now I am getting pt twice a week, with soft tissue manipulation and massage (not the nice kind, hurts like HECK but helps alot).
I guess I was wondering, what am I looking at recovery-wise? My pt assures me I have avoided surgery, but I have not had a day without pain since the diagnosis. How long does it normally take? Is physical therapy a typical solution, or is there something else I should be doing? (In pt, along with the soft tissue work, I do stretches, and core strengthening, hip strengthening exercises... I could tell you more about the exercises I do if that would help someone have a better informed opinion. I want to find others who are experiencing what I am, and figure out if I am doing the right things, and maybe get some ideas about pain management. Right now, the heating pad and motrin are good friends, and I am considering acupuncture, though I don't think I will to the epidural. So thanks for any responses or thoughts. Just writing this makes me feel better. I am glad this forum is here.
jenniferowens is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-08-2009, 08:35 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Back pain from car wrecks

Hi Jen, you need to stop the physical therapy (it might actually be doing damage) and see a neurosurgeon asap. I am a 34 year old female. I've been in 3 accidents where the car was totaled. None were my fault. The most recent one being in 2001. I never broke one bone, they always said I just had whiplash. I've had back pain for years, especially since the 2001 accident. I've been to at least 6 physical therapists over the years, I even tried accupuncture and prolotherapy. Massage is my favorite, but it only helps to a point, you know that. This past summer I reached my limits pain wise and they did not want to give me stronger pain meds, I was really slouching bad and stumbling a little, so I went to an orthopedic surgeon who sent me to a neurosurgeon. They said I needed surgery soon, and that they'd do it the next month. They said I had a herniated disc at T7 aqnd T8 and if I had bad trouble walking or going to the bathroom, to come in right away. A month later I went in after spending the weekend stumbling like a drunk and not being able to go to the bathroom, and they informed me they were going to do surgery the next day. They said the herniated disc was putting pressure on my spinal cord and that it was doing permanent damage and that they were afraid i'd become paralyzed from my bra-line down. So the next day they broke my rib, moved my lung to the side, removed the herniated disc, and used part of my rib for a new disc, and inserted a rod and two screws. I am 3 months and almost 2 weeks out from my surgery and I am still in hell. ( I used to go to the chiro too, but I can't even imagine it now) It hurts to sit, walk, lay down, drive, do anythinhg 24-7. I'm better, but it's still so bad. I spent a week in intensive care on morphine. Flexoril barely touches me, I can drive on it. My primary doctor told me that now they're saying it's at least 10 years before the full scope of damage from a car accident is known. Don't do anything that might jeopardize your back!! It's so painful!!! I have trouble putting on socks and shoes! I hope this helps!
Sambouka74 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 04:37 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Jennifer. I am new to this site as well. Just found it, actually. I have had a herniated cervical disc (c-6/c-7) since March 2007. Initially, I did 6 wks of PT, but it only worsened my condition. I would leave PT in excrutiating pain and barely be able to drive myself home. After several months of horrible pain and numbness shooting down my right arm, I was prescribed Relafen (NSAID). After several weeks on this, I started feeling better. I stayed on it for 3 months, got back to being 95%, and then went off of it. I never got back to 100%, but I was pretty good for about 1 1/2 years. I had a constant stiff neck, almost daily headaches, and occasional pain and numbness in right arm, but it was managable. Until Feb of this year, that is. Well, I have had a flare up and all the original symptoms (excrutiating pain/numbness) are back. The only thing that will touch the pain is percocet and even that is spotty. I went for an epidural injection a week ago today and it did absolutely nothing for me, except make the pain worse for several days afterwards. Well, I started back on the Relafen Monday night and so far I think it is helping a little. The idea behind the NSAIDs are that over a period of several weeks, they gradually bring down the inflammation in the injured area, thereby reducing some or all of the pain. That's the theory, at least.

The point is, what works for one person may not work for others. Some people swear by the injections. Me, nothing. Some swear by PT. Me, nothing. For me, it's looking like I get some relief from a prescription strentgh anti-inflammatory. Maybe not 100% relief, but I'll take 90 or 95%. I didn't see you mention that you tried any NSAIDs. If not, it may be worth a try for you. Maybe you can get some relief from them. They don't work overnight, though. They generally take 3-6 days to be in a steady state in your system and can take up to 2 weeks to get the full anti-inflammatory effect from them. Good luck and feel better!
Chris722 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:32 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thanks Chris-neurochiropractor...

Hey Chris,
Thanks for your reply. I actually found a Neurochiropractor this week, and have had two visits. Believe it or not, a HUGE difference! He did the initial eval and treatment, and then I came back two days later for more treatment. Seriously, I felt better! After the first visit, even after the second visit, I called my friend who recommended him, and asked him, is this guy for real? It seemed really strange some of the stuff he was doing, and he doesn't do traditional chiropractor adjustments, but my friend assured me that yes, the dr. was for real. The day after second treatment, and the day after that, I felt great! Today, I felt so good, I started to clean up around the house (Picture 8 weeks of not cleaning... I needed to! Turned out to be a bad idea. I could only go for about an hour, and then I was hurting again. I go back on Monday and Wednesday). I will check in later to post updates. BTW, he told me I also have some issues at C5, which makes sense from my chiro. I have shoulder and neck pain, and numbness and tinglies in neck and down spine and shoulders. He assures me we will fix this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris722 View Post
Hi Jennifer. I am new to this site as well. Just found it, actually. I have had a herniated cervical disc (c-6/c-7) since March 2007. Initially, I did 6 wks of PT, but it only worsened my condition. I would leave PT in excrutiating pain and barely be able to drive myself home. After several months of horrible pain and numbness shooting down my right arm, I was prescribed Relafen (NSAID). After several weeks on this, I started feeling better. I stayed on it for 3 months, got back to being 95%, and then went off of it. I never got back to 100%, but I was pretty good for about 1 1/2 years. I had a constant stiff neck, almost daily headaches, and occasional pain and numbness in right arm, but it was managable. Until Feb of this year, that is. Well, I have had a flare up and all the original symptoms (excrutiating pain/numbness) are back. The only thing that will touch the pain is percocet and even that is spotty. I went for an epidural injection a week ago today and it did absolutely nothing for me, except make the pain worse for several days afterwards. Well, I started back on the Relafen Monday night and so far I think it is helping a little. The idea behind the NSAIDs are that over a period of several weeks, they gradually bring down the inflammation in the injured area, thereby reducing some or all of the pain. That's the theory, at least.

The point is, what works for one person may not work for others. Some people swear by the injections. Me, nothing. Some swear by PT. Me, nothing. For me, it's looking like I get some relief from a prescription strentgh anti-inflammatory. Maybe not 100% relief, but I'll take 90 or 95%. I didn't see you mention that you tried any NSAIDs. If not, it may be worth a try for you. Maybe you can get some relief from them. They don't work overnight, though. They generally take 3-6 days to be in a steady state in your system and can take up to 2 weeks to get the full anti-inflammatory effect from them. Good luck and feel better!
jenniferowens is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:17 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Glad to hear that helped!
Chris722 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:41 AM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Herniated Disc Pain Relief and Treatments Guide

Herniated discs are a major cause of disability in people under 45.
I am one of those people.
For the past 3 years I suffer L5S1 disc hernia, the most common type of hernia.
But each case is slightly different and that makes it very difficult to treat.
In my case I also have hyperlordosis, scoliosis and spina bifida.
I have been trying countless treatments and supposed cures. I was often left in disappointment but fortunately found some sources of relief.
I'm not a doctor, just a student with lots of experience with a mother which is a doctor.
At this time, despite my efforts, I have reached a point where I need surgery.
But if I have had the experience and the knowledge I have now I could have avoided this complicated situation for sure.
freirediscpain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote