advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 06:29 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Supplementation - MRSD!

Over the past couple of years I have taken various supplements in an effort to 'feel better' and optimise my health because I have been feeling less than 'good'.

During that time there has been the odd supplement that stands out as being noticeably beneficial such as Folinic Acid & Shark Liver Oil. Possibly the other supplements I have taken may have been beneficial on a cellular level but nothing really noticeable.....however..

....a few weeks ago I started taking Acetyl-L-Carnitine and I don't know whether it is this or just co-incidence but I have renewed energy like I haven't had for months and possibly a couple of years.

None of the other symptoms like the PN, stiffness etc. have abated but energy-wise I feel inspired and able to do things that I have had no inclination to do for ages because of fatigue.

So does this mean that I possibly have some Mitochondrial involvement/deficiency that the Acetyl -L-Carnitine is targetting?

On a practical basis once I have finished this bottle of powder (I am taking one level teaspoon approx. 2 grams per day usually in V8 veg juice), do I get another bottle or do I take a break from it for awhile?

Is it something that depletes quickly or once built up it remains in the cells for awhile?

What is the basis for depletion in the first place?

I'd really appreciate any suggestions about its efficacy and usage!
Megan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-12-2009, 08:25 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

I'd continue with it. And I would add CoQ-10 to it, and biotin.

All 3 work on the mitochondria. Dr. Ames also uses lipoic acid in his product.

I have a post on RSD about mitochondrial damage that was just written up in Science News.

I'll copy it over here later today. Look for a new thread.

This is very encouraging for you, Megan.
I think your dose is okay for now. If you add the others, you may be able to change the carnitine in the future. Carnitine is not well absorbed per dose. So if you break yours up into two of 1 gram spaced during the day, you may get MORE total in the end. I'd take it on an empty stomach too.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0

This website has alot of medical info about mitochondria. They also sell Juvenon, and I am not saying you have to use that particular brand.
http://juvenon.com/

Here is a pretty good monograph on it too:
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/carnitine.asp

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Megan (03-12-2009)