advertisement

Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 AM #1
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Post Mitochondria:

Many drugs damage mitochondria. And this subject is now getting more attention because of autism research.
So I thought I'd put this link up for interested readers.

Here is a very recent Science News discusses mitochondrial damage as a source of chronic illness.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feat...ndria_Gone_Bad

This makes more sense to me because what is coming out of the new research is that ANTIBIOTICS and other drugs (like statins), can damage mitochondria. The autism community has some interesting new studies showing vaccines may do this and antibiotic treatment for ear infections or other things that happen to little kids, often precede the appearance of autism.
The mitochondria in our cells are basically similar and actually derived FROM bacteria. So agents that KILL bacteria, may kill our mitochondria too.

example:
http://www.autism.com/medical/resear...ntibiotics.htm

There already is a supplement made by Dr. Bruce Ames who studies mito deterioration as a cause of aging:
Juvenon
http://www.bruceames.org/

I recall reading a mito website long ago that suggested a genetic weakness for this. In order to have a dramatic disorder one needs genes from both parents. But it has been suggested that people with one copy of the recessive gene may be more prone to damage from the environment and aging.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Aussie99 (03-12-2009), AussieDebbie (03-25-2014), DejaVu (10-14-2012), fabdou (12-21-2011), glenntaj (05-08-2011), hopeful (12-19-2011), im4dexter (05-12-2011), Jaspar (03-12-2009), judymoody (03-12-2009), MarcS (12-18-2011), Megan (03-27-2009), Nervous (05-09-2011), NeuroLogic (12-17-2011), Sheltiemom18 (05-09-2011), stagger (05-09-2011)

advertisement
Old 03-12-2009, 09:30 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Thanks for that info, mrsD. (scary)

You are so much appreciated around here.

DM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Marie33 (11-27-2012)
Old 05-06-2011, 06:14 PM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb New article:

I am bumping this up because of this great new article about mitochondria.

This article really is interesting and poses the question of mito damage in many neurological disorders:

http://www.the-scientist.com/article...#ixzz1Lc4RYaHa

It was posted by olsen, a member of our PD forum here.

I really do think damaged mitochondria are at the heart of many forms of PN.

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
bluesfan (03-23-2015), DejaVu (10-14-2012), NeuroLogic (12-17-2011), norahs (05-10-2011), stagger (05-09-2011)
Old 05-06-2011, 09:29 PM #4
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Mrs D? As always this IS food for thought!

And, lots of it.
It's that two edged sword of dealing w/knowing what your medical issue is? And the 'insurance companies'. Thus the blessings of 'genetic profiling'. When your mitochondria 'change'? Does that alter ones' DNA? And HOW will this all be dealt with? Pn in a great example of how this mite happen, and in the whole process? Be excluded as a viable condition for treatment because IT IS GENETIC. Scary stuffs.
Like most here? My 'processes, neurologically' changed significantly, but I surely wasn't the one to cause it knowingly or willingly! IF as a result my 'genetic profiles changed'? Well, I'm not at fault and I'm in no breach of contract w/any insurer. Am I correct here?
Only issue now is...how far are they from the 'mouse model' to the human actual? 20- 50 years? I understand caution, but as more people w/PN can be excluded from some coverages, it's scary beyond the Twilight Zone.
Not to mention that testing for such things is likely pretty rich as well.
No peace for those in pain.
Thanks Mrs D, tho for bringing to light something astute and relevant [as always] to all of us!
A fan, as always. 's!!!!!!!!! - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (10-14-2012), mrsD (05-07-2011)
Old 05-07-2011, 07:27 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

fascinating article. if correct or even partially correct, the implications are astounding.
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (10-14-2012), mrsD (05-09-2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 01:33 PM #6

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This is, as another poster said, a fascinating article. Not being a medical professional but rather one who was of allied status, can't claim much knowledge about the mitochondria other than they are the tiny spark plugs within the cells.

But can say that one of the neuros I consulted last year during probably the most difficult time of my NLD SFN offered the possibility that it might could be the result of what he called "mitochondrial defect," although the Sjogren's researchers say SFN can also be an adjunct of primary Sjogren's, which I'm supposed to have. But who knows at this point whether or not the AI's might also be caused by faulty mitochondria?

Sheltiemom18
Sheltiemom18 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (10-14-2012), mrsD (05-09-2011)
Old 05-15-2011, 01:17 PM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb More on mitochondrial damage:

Here is another very interesting article:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0512161938.htm

It focuses on Parkinson's damage, but it contains interesting other information about neurons and how mitochondria function inside them.

And also offers a solution of sorts:
Glutathione and NAC (n-acetyl cysteine).

Glutathinone was mentioned on Dr. Jay Cohen's website as a possible treatment for fluoroquinolone antibiotic damage causing PN.

"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (10-14-2012), Nervous (05-15-2011), NeuroLogic (12-17-2011), Rosie33 (05-16-2011), Sheltiemom18 (05-15-2011)
Old 05-21-2011, 10:38 PM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

So, are we adding glutathione to our list of recommended supplements? If so, in what form? That article said that glutathione was not well-absorbed by mouth and that taking precursors so the body could produce its own glutathione was only a theory.
Nervous is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (10-14-2012)
Old 05-22-2011, 07:34 AM #9
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Glutathione does not work by mouth...it is destroyed in the stomach.

Supplements to encourage the body to make more are the way to go. n-acetyl cysteine is one--abbreviated as NAC. This is not expensive either.

The person on Dr. Cohen's website went to a holistic doctor and had IV infusions containing glutathione, and that way it improved his fluoroquinolone induced mito damage and his PN.

http://medicationsense.com/articles/...ity070508.html

Glutathione is made in the liver.

Here is a more complete article on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutathione

"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (10-14-2012), melon (12-24-2011), Nervous (05-22-2011), NeuroLogic (12-17-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 07:35 PM #10

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

"Mitochondrial dysfunction is a common cause of peripheral neuropathies."

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/31/28/10128.abstract

My mitochondrial dysfunction is getting worse. In the last week my fingers, toes, and nose have all suddenly become cold very often. Room temp. is 24C and they feel the same as they did when the previous week when it was 19C. They don't heat up easily or quickly. RT needs to be 25-26C for fingers, toes, and nose to not feel cold. The problem is at 26C my scalp starts to feel as if it's burning. So there's a very narrow temp. range I can be comfortable at (0.5-1 degree window). Now I'll wake up at night and my feet will be cold. I'll add a thick blanket, but they won't heat up, and I can't get back to sleep. Which just makes my energy lower and mito function worse.

I'm going to load up on mito supplements.
NeuroLogic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (10-14-2012)