advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 01:35 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Seeking neuro in NYC.

I have been to Dr. Latov & his associates but would like to find a doc who can evaluate my PN or FMS as a 2nd opinion. Does anyone have a neuro in Manhattan who has helped & whom you see on an ongoing basis? If you'd rather not disclose his/her name online, please PM me. Thank you very much for your help.
antonina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-13-2009, 02:11 PM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I am not sure where in NY Melody lives who posts on here but it is somewhere in NY you may want to PM her. Good luck
daniella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
antonina (03-14-2009)
Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Neuro in NYC

Hi antonina-

One neuro to consider in NYC is Dr David Younger (212-535-4314). Like you I saw Dr Latov but am now currently being seen by Dr Younger. One thing to note is that he does not accept insurance.

Take care,
David
davidx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:19 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Latov is supposedly the end-all, be-all.....in today's neuropathy circles.
Is he associated with Cornell-Weill, in NY?
If not, go there for your 2nd opinion.
Or, take a car/bus ride south, to Baltimore and go to Johns Hopkins. I live in Balto.(and am treated @ Hopkins) and frequently take the bus, for a day trip (to see a show) to NYC.
Its only about 3 hrs away.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:44 AM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default I recommend--

--either Dr. Latov's group (and you don't necessarily have to see him) at the Cornell Weill Center for Peripheral Neuropathy (Madison Avenue and East 60th Street in Manhattan, 212-888-8516) of the Neurology Department at New York Methodist Hospital in Park Slope Brooklyn (which is where Melody's husband goes--the chief there, Dr. Salgado, is a good friend, and he has good staff that trained with Latov's group, so they're familiar with peripheral issues--718-246-8614).

My name can be dropped at both places, if need be.
glenntaj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:10 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for the help Bob, Glenn & Davidx.

Bob,

I would love to see someone @ Hopkins. The major obstacle is getting there. I would have to go w/ someone since I can barely cross the street by myself using a walker. Do you make the trip to NYC by yourself?

Glenn,

I'm glad you've had good experiences w/ Latov and his associates. I have not been so lucky. But I will try to schedule an app't w/ Dr. Salgado.

David,

It's OK that Dr. Younger doesn't accept insurance. If he's good, it doesn't matter. I'd just like someone who's thorough & competent & with whom I can communicate.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:21 PM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Could you possibly send your records to Hopkins before making the trip? I have done that before for things that are not so close to see if they feel they can help me. I am going to resend my records to Mayo again I think. Then you can work on finding someone to get you there. Good luck. A good doctor is like a gift I know
daniella is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:52 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniella View Post
Could you possibly send your records to Hopkins before making the trip? I have done that before for things that are not so close to see if they feel they can help me. I am going to resend my records to Mayo again I think. Then you can work on finding someone to get you there. Good luck. A good doctor is like a gift I know
So you and I were rejected by Mayo. They decreed that my PN is too longstanding and they didn't feel they could "offer...an appointment at this time." The other impediment is that I live quite a distance from their 3 sites and any trip would be a monumental undertaking.

If I went out of state, my best option would be Hopkins since a 3 hour trip is do-able. I think that sending my records first would be helpful.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:33 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonina View Post

I would love to see someone @ Hopkins. The major obstacle is getting there. I would have to go w/ someone since I can barely cross the street by myself using a walker. Do you make the trip to NYC by yourself?
I could, but I usually go with someone (my wife and one of my kids)
cause its more fun.
I slow them down when walking, but I usually can catch up if they
wait a bit for me at crosswalks.
We take cabs, & I like to ride the subway when we go farther uptown.
There's a bus that leaves Greyhound near home (we get on-line tickets for cheap!!) approx on the hour or 1/2 hour, and one that comes back approx the same- so we can leave at 7:00, be in NY by 10-10:30, get 1/2 price tickets at TKTS in Times Square, have lunch, see a 2:00 matinee (over by 5:00), get some sandwiches for the ride home, catch a bus at 6:00 or 6:30 pm and be back by 10:00 pm.
Sometimes we stay over (weekends) for a day, or so (Expedia, etc- has discount hotel rates), at the Madison Hotel off Broadway. Then we can see a Fri nite show, Sat matinee, Sat nite, & Sun matinee- then come home.
We do Shopping, Greenwich Village, Chinatown, Soho, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, etc..... too. It becomes a bit tiring to do that, & we only do the 3 day trip once (I love it in Dec. before Xmas) or twice a year.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:50 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nide44 View Post
I could, but I usually go with someone (my wife and one of my kids)
cause its more fun.
I slow them down when walking, but I usually can catch up if they
wait a bit for me at crosswalks.
We take cabs, & I like to ride the subway when we go farther uptown.
There's a bus that leaves Greyhound near home (we get on-line tickets for cheap!!) approx on the hour or 1/2 hour, and one that comes back approx the same- so we can leave at 7:00, be in NY by 10-10:30, get 1/2 price tickets at TKTS in Times Square, have lunch, see a 2:00 matinee (over by 5:00), get some sandwiches for the ride home, catch a bus at 6:00 or 6:30 pm and be back by 10:00 pm.
Sometimes we stay over (weekends) for a day, or so (Expedia, etc- has discount hotel rates), at the Madison Hotel off Broadway. Then we can see a Fri nite show, Sat matinee, Sat nite, & Sun matinee- then come home.
We do Shopping, Greenwich Village, Chinatown, Soho, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, etc..... too. It becomes a bit tiring to do that, & we only do the 3 day trip once (I love it in Dec. before Xmas) or twice a year.
Hi Bob,

Sounds like you are much more mobile than I am. And that you have a great time in NYC when you get here.

Do you need any help climbing stairs, especially navigating the subway? I've stopped using it and rely mostly on cabs or Access A Ride which are less scary. Do you use a walker or any walking aid?
My legs are so unsteady & weak that I use a walker whenever I go out.

I like your can-do spirit!! Keep up that adventurous outlook!