The Stumble Inn The place for social chat for our M.S. community. The Stumble Inn

advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 09:31 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Question for PC users- Norton virus protection

Ok, I have a question that needs answered. I am a devout Mac user, and love it. Apple products are clearly the superior makers of computers but I won't go there now. my question is about PC's.

Recently I had to buy a PC to use for a side business that I am working with that won't run on PC's (yes, I could install a windows OS on my mac and partition it but that would make it voulnerable to viruses, which I won't do.

So, since I have never had to worry about Virus software, my question is how important is virus protection software? my new pc came with a free trial of Norton Virus protection. that expired the other day and now the pop up warning comes up about every 10 minutes saying "you are not protected"

how important is it to install this software? I belive it is probably a scam and I also think there is some merit to those who say the Norton people actually pay people to write viruses so people have to buy the software.

HELP, I hate PC's. I wish my program would run on my mac, no hastles or headaches.

advertisement
Old 03-17-2009, 09:52 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Earl,

If you go on the internet and/or get e-mail, you MUST have an anti-virus program installed on your computer. Otherwise, the chances of you getting a virus are very high. Even Mac's can get viruses.

Companies like Norton pay a fee to computer manufacturers to install their program on a trial basis.

Personally, I don't like Norton because I feel it is too intrusive. Once any Norton program gets installed in your system, it takes a special utility to totally uninstall it. I use NOD 32 which is a high end program but there are
free AV programs, such as AVG (www.free.avg.com) which work OK and will provide you with decent protection.

Harry
Harry Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:18 AM #3
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

It's very important especially for trojan viruses. We use McAfee.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:51 AM #4
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I took Norton off of all of my computers. I hate Norton with a serious passion. I had used Norton 360 on my Gateway computer a few years back, and it slowed things down so badly and DIDNT WORK to stop viruses at all. It made it nearly impossible to do anything on my Gateway computer, it was such a resource hog. (and Norton 360 was ungodly expensive!)

Our local cable company, that we get the high speed innernets from offers free antivirus (McAfee) so that's what I use on 2 of my computers. (I have 5 'puters)

One computer, an iMac, doesnt have any antivirus on it (the antivirus program that my dad put on it was Norton, which I took off, and I tried AVAST that I got from Apple, but didnt like it, so I took that off too)

I have AVG Antivirus Free on my other computers. My boyfriend suggested that one. I'm using their free version right now, but am considering paying for the full version. (I just checked, it would cost me $65 to protect two computers with AVG...$55 for just one)

So far tho, their free version has been working fine, as far as I know, I dont have any viruses running amok in the computers.

I like both McAfee and AVG, and I'm getting both of them free right now, so I'm pretty happy.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:53 AM #5
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

AVG makes a GREAT FREE product. I find that Nortons is annoying as heck, and intrudes into every corner of every program, and just slow down the machine.

Many internet services provide a free suite of protection services with their internet. AOL does, and Verizon does, and so on. You can follow the link on the homepage of your provider to services offered.

Even though I have many chances through many programs to have their packages, I chose AVG. it does an awesome job, is not intrusive, and just does what you ask it to do. Free is also a great point.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:44 PM #6
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

You might want to consider an internet security program that covers many more aspects vs a single anti virus program.

I'll add a link to our computer forum where there is some info about various programs.
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread71642.html
Old 03-18-2009, 06:00 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have been using AVG for like 5 years now and no problems (the free edition) also use avast( the free edition) both tie up less resources than Norton or McFee.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:10 AM #8
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I agree that a scanner of some kind is a must.

Like the others I've used AVG and was happy with it until it started letting Trojans through. I'd never have known I had them if it wasn't for the fact that my emails were being rejected from my friends' computers by their virus scanners, as infected emails.

I tried Norton, but do not like that one. I tried PC-cillin and that was OK.... it's by Trend. At the moment I'm using McAfee and am quite happy with that one.

Another free one I tried is Avast, and I didn't have any problems with that. The only reason I got rid of it is because my DD bought me McAfee as a gift.
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:55 AM #9
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

You can also add a free virus sweeper, spyware sweeper.

superantispyware.com does a great job! I like is much better than Lavasoft, or Adaware. it has really caught things on friends computers when I reccomended that they switch over. REally good for a free program.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote