advertisement

Old 12-05-2006, 11:22 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Newbie!

I've been lurking on the gluten sensitivity forum for several days now. I normally post on myasthenia gravis and autoimmune diseases.
My GP and I have decided I've got gluten sensitivity, and she drew blood to test for celiac. I had decided on my own to try a gluten free diet for a few days, and was amazed at the difference! Where I had had frequent diarrhea, LOTS of gas, stomach cramps, and up to 10 bm's a days, on the few days I was gluten free I was virtually free of all of those symptoms, plus only "went" 2 or 3 times a day! WOW! Then I reintroduced gluten and everything came back with a vengeance. On the strength of that experimentation, she wants me to stay gluten free., to see if I stay symptom free.
So I wanted to introduce myself, since it seems I will be availing myself of some of the recipes. I've already copied some of them, though I've not made any of them yet.
Any advice anyone can give me will be most welcome.
Hugs,

advertisement
Old 12-06-2006, 01:56 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

WELCOME LOIS!! I'm so glad you have seen positive results on a gluten free diet!

Claire
Old 12-06-2006, 08:02 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The best advice is to just keep reading and never just believe someone when they say something is gluten free. 9 times out of 10, they have no idea what gluten is. Read everything you can about celiacs, your best answers come from those of us who live it too. Welcome.
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:27 AM #4
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi! Welcome to our little gluten free haven! It will be interesting to see if you test positive, but no matter what, you have already witnessed the results of possibly the best test of all.

I think the best advice when starting out is to keep your diet relatively simple, focusing on whole foods (meats(unless vegetarian), vegetables, fruits, rice, potatoes, nuts. That is not only healthier and will aid in healing your gut, but it will help you to keep your sanity when at the grocery store. Slowly, you can add in processed foods. It is just way too overwhelming to read every label at the grocery store as you shop...when you have no idea of what items are safe and not safe.

I do buy a fair share of processed and specialty foods, but I worked into them. Do use the safe food lists you will find as a starting point, but remember that ingredients change, and lists can be outdated. So, it is important to learn to read labels routinely. Labeling laws have improved a lot, but you still need to be cautious and remember to watch for things like barley and malt.

Up under Useful Sites you will find links to safe food lists, forbidden food lists, etc.

I'm going to start a thread for favorite gf specialty products. The market is booming, and there are much better choices than even five years ago. But, still, some taste like cardboard..so it is nice to know what products people have tried and liked.

Oh, gosh, so much more to say, so just stay active here!

Cara

Last edited by jccgf; 12-07-2006 at 12:18 AM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:44 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks, all, for the replies. I cannot believe the difference just a few days can make. I've been gluten free since Tuesday, and today had no tummy cramps, little gas, and only 2, count 'em!, 2 bm's!!!! Mamma mia, so this is what life is! I'd forgot how wonderful it is to be normal. And not to be tied to a toilet!
Since I live in a small town, a lot of specialty ingredients, like the different flours that are permitted, are just not available. Unless some of them can be found at Walmart? But I chanced on some rice cereal for babies at the store, and noticed it is made from rice flour. I bought 2 boxes, figuring that with a blender or my food processor, surely I can make it back into rice flour. I've still got to check Walmart and the larger of our 2 groceries for plain corn meal. The cheap grocery has about 4 different kinds of corn meal mix (I live in the south, after all) but not a one that is free of flour. Of course, since we have a fairly large Hispanic community, masa harina is availble. It's corn flour, and I believe is wheat free. And I bought corn tortillas today, they're gluten free.
Now all I have to do is learn how to bake and make bread without wheat flour.
In your experience, how long will it take to get the results of the Celiac test back? All my doctor could tell me is that it is a rather specialized test, and takes longer.
Once I've been gluten free for while, I'm going to try reintroducing milk into my diet. I had cut it out over a year ago, and gone to soymilk, thinking I was lactose intolerant. I'm wondering now if it was the gluten all along, rather than the lactose. Or could I have both?
I've also got radiation proctitis, damage caused by radiation treatment for cancer, so my gut is not normal by a long stretch.
keep the good advice coming!
Hugs,
Old 12-06-2006, 11:39 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Lois,

Welcome!!

You may find you might be able to add some dairy back into your diet after your intestines heal. The tips of the villi produce an enzyme called lactase. Lactase is responsible for breaking down Lastose [the sugar component in dairy]. If indeed your villi are damaged, once they are healed and producing lactase again, you could very well be able to tolerate some dairy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerance

Quote:
Lactose intolerance can also occur due to Coeliac disease, as coeliac disease damages the villi in the small intestine that produce lactase. This lactose intolerance is temporary. Lactose intolerance associated with coeliac disease ceases after the patient has been on a gluten-free diet long enough for the villi to recover.
Good luck in your GF Journey!!

“We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love.” ~Mother Teresa
aklap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 12:27 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Usually about a week to get the test results back. I'd be surprised if it was any longer than that.

It is possible to have gluten sensitivity causing bad symptoms without testing positive for celiac disease, but it is good to have those tests run.

A fair amount of people with gluten sensitivity/celiac disease also have problems with cow's milk. Lactose intolerance can be temporary, and sometimes successfully added back in. You can also have casein intolerance (the protein part of the milk), and that is usually with you for the long haul.

The sensitivity of antibodies to casein, beta-lactoglobulin, and ovalbumin in active coeliac disease varied from 36% to 48% without significant difference between IgG and IgA antibodies.
Antibodies to dietary antigens in coeliac disease. PMID: 3775259 Oct !986

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:48 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks, again, y'all! I've discovered another plus of being gluten free other than just the lack of gut problems. I'm not nearly as fatigued! I suppose that part of the fatigue I was putting down to the MG was actually coming from the gluten sensitivity. Plus, I've actually lost 3 pounds since Monday!!
Question- What kind of gluten free products can I expect to find at Walmart? Is there a special gluten free section, or anything like that?
Hugs,
Old 12-07-2006, 11:19 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Lois,

Glad to hear you're feeling better!! As for Walmart...the ones I've been in WI do not have a a special "health food section". BUT! If you look at a lot of Walmart branded food - you'll probably see a "Gluten Free" stamped on the back of it. They are quite good about labeling things. I think I looked at Walmart's version of Reese's Peanut butter cups...it said Gluten Free on the back. So...browse around...I'm sure you'll find lots of goodies!!

“We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love.” ~Mother Teresa
aklap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 11:31 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks, Al! I'm definitely learning to read lables. We stopped at McDonald's for supper, and I got the side salad (no gluten there!), picked out a dressing, dumped it on, and THEN read the ingredient list. The one I picked has soy sauce in it, which has wheat flour. So my daughter got the salad! I've got to learn to read the lables BEFORE I eat the stuff!
Hugs,