Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 12:23 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Weekly Check In March 22-28, 2009

Hello Everyone..Its been a busy week..I got out clamming on Monday, and didnt catch much, but got so much exercise that it put me down with symptoms, a back ache, and a sore knee, the whole diameter of the knee area, and had trouble walking because of the soreness untill I got into see my Chiropractor on Thursday..I told him about the pain in my knee after he adjusted me, because I didnt think he could do anything about it..He said not to worry..the pain will be gone when I wake up tomorrow morning..Well, I took that with a grain of salt, but I'll be damned..When I woke up on Friday morning, the pain was gone, and so was the backache..The boat ran great!

Then on Wednesday, I blew the transmission in my truck....I stopped at a red light, and when I took off it started to slip and continued to slip everytime I had to stop and take off, so I brought it straight to the mechanic, and he has to rebuild it..$1500.00..I needed that like I need a hole in the head, after all the debt already in..Reminds me of that song by The Fixx.."One thing leads to another"

I spent Friday night, and all day Saturday at the 31st AA Convention In Newport R.I...They had dance both nights, at night after the main speaker meeting..So I danced for the first time since Ive had pd, on both nights and had an absolute blast!!..It was also wonderful to be surrounded all weekend, by people who are true friends, who love you unconditionally..The speakers at the meetings were such an inspiration, especially the one on Saturday night..He spoke with an Irish brogue, and was funny as hell, and delivered an awesome message at the same time, about the human condition that accompanies alcoholism..He is a Catholic, from Northern Ireland, and talked about the violence there years ago before he immigrated to the U.S.. and about how the animosity and violance between the Catholics and Protestants was left outside the doors of AA meetings there, and how they were able to come together in those rooms for a common cause, to stay sober one day at a time..I thought that was especially inspiring..The whole Convention was such an inspiration, that after I shuffled in there on Friday night, I was nearly symptomless all day and all night long today..That speaks volumes about how the emotional condition is directly connected to the physical symptoms of pd..I have never had a day this symptom free since my first symptom occured 6 years ago

But because I wasnt around today, I missed the casting call e-mail to be an extra on the ABC pilot of "See Kate Run" starring Amy Smart, which begins filming tomorrow in Boston..I have a friend in the Actors Guild who has been trying to get me some work..Should be an interesting way to make some part time $$$$

How was your week?

advertisement
Old 03-22-2009, 01:03 PM #2
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Member aka Dianna Wood

15 yr Member
Default I'd say about an 8

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear about your truck transmission. My week has been pretty good. Laid around on Monday, Tuesday I spoke in front of the cameras for the St. Paul School Board to discourage the deletion of the Itenerent Music Teacher's. Guess I did OK.

Also spent time working on my Husband's music library, trying to make some sense. Had an appointment with a digestive care doctor and will be going to have an endoscopy next week and some test to test how my gull bladder is opening and closing. Typing is getting harder and harder.

Vicky
vlhperry is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:13 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default typing with your eyes

Vicky,
a lady i used to talk to, she had a DBS for tremor associated with cerebral palsy, used a system that used her eyes to type. It was quite effective.
I do not remember the name of it but if you Google typing, eye control, you will get alot of hits.

Charlie
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:49 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Just checking in

Steve, great to hear what a great time you had at the AA convention! Eliminating symptoms, for any length of time, is what we are all persuing. Sounds like you have an awsome Chiro. The truck transmission was a bummer! Are you still taking low-dose dextromethorphan?

Vicky, I've been meaning to tell you how great it is to have you back. Just stay in touch. No great amount of typing needed. Let us know how the tests with your G.I. doc turn out.

Charlie's idea sounds interesting to any of us who struggle with the keyboard.

Awsome weather here this weekend. Spouse and I just about wore ourselves out yesterday working in the yard. Daughter No. 2 arrived this afternoon for a couple of days' visit. She and her mom were back out weeding the flower beds this afternoon. Soon, the mosquitoes will make it unpleasant to be out early in the morning or late afternoon, so we are enjoying those times while we can!

Wishing all a good week.
Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:03 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLSmi View Post
Steve, great to hear what a great time you had at the AA convention! Eliminating symptoms, for any length of time, is what we are all persuing. Sounds like you have an awsome Chiro. The truck transmission was a bummer! Are you still taking low-dose dextromethorphan?

Vicky, I've been meaning to tell you how great it is to have you back. Just stay in touch. No great amount of typing needed. Let us know how the tests with your G.I. doc turn out.

Charlie's idea sounds interesting to any of us who struggle with the keyboard.

Awsome weather here this weekend. Spouse and I just about wore ourselves out yesterday working in the yard. Daughter No. 2 arrived this afternoon for a couple of days' visit. She and her mom were back out weeding the flower beds this afternoon. Soon, the mosquitoes will make it unpleasant to be out early in the morning or late afternoon, so we are enjoying those times while we can!

Wishing all a good week.
Robert
Hi Robert..I am still taking DM, but I honestly dont know if its doing anything anymore..What is strange though is some of the old symptoms are gone, and some new ones have developed..I will get into some detail about it tomorrow because it is 1:00 AM here, and Im too tired to write more
Old 03-23-2009, 10:09 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Today is my husband's last day at his job and he is not taking it well. He is being forced to take an early retirement. His company laid off 750 people. He spent the weekend gathering all kinds of things with the company logo on them and he filled up his company car to take it turn it in. He had some medals that were sales awards and he hung them from the rear view mirror. He said he is turning them in because they don't matter anymore. He gathered up hats and jackets and shirts and binders and papers and filled up the car so there is no room for a passenger.

I have been very busy with the classical guitar society. Yesterday the local PBS station came and did a shoot of a rehearsal and a salon, where people take turns playing pieces in an informal setting. They are coming back April 19th when we have our guitar festival. However, from several hours of film, they are doing only a 3 minute segment. At the guitar festival, there are recitals where area teachers have their students perform. The teachers have been sending me their student lists and I have to divide them up into 4 recitals- we ended up with over 150 performers registered!
Old 03-23-2009, 09:33 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default The nose is back!

obviously either doing really well, or losing it completely

cheers, have a god week
GregD (03-24-2009), RLSmi (03-23-2009)
Old 03-24-2009, 05:56 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud View Post
obviously either doing really well, or losing it completely

cheers, have a god week
I was doing really well untill I blew the transmission in my truck..That was like adding insult to injury..Back to the "what did I learn quiz"
Old 03-24-2009, 06:24 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hahaha, thanks rosebud i needed a good chuckle. By the way, the nose is you. I've been working on putting back together an antique dresser for my brother. It's about 150 years old. All the glue dried out an the thing fell apart.

Other than that the PD symptoms are still about the same. Just enough to make me really uncomfortable most of the day.

GregD
Old 03-24-2009, 01:59 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default taking Paula's advice!

I am taking Paula's advice to be a bit more goofy even when thinking of serious issues and going to DIsney world (or land?? I can never get it right!) with my daughter and her friends! I will check with Goofy and friends for some tips on how to have fun!

Thats the decision made after a stressful Monday! And I already feel better!!

Steve, your post on how emotional stress makes PD worse is so accurate, I had/have very similar responses to stress as you described. Your post is beautifully written, your thoughts and emotions so well expressed....... All I could think while reading it was: Yes, this is exactly how I felt....but never could write so well> Thanks.

OK time to go to Disney land!

Thanks
Girija
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote