advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 01:39 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Can caffeine make PN worse?

Hello,

My family doctor stated I should limit my caffeine intake, stating it can worsen the PN in my feet.

I drink approximately 3 cups of coffee daily, and have to admit that I am addicted to caffeine, as well as enjoy my cups of coffee. I have tried to stop in the past, and when doing so I suffer severe migraine pain, irritability, fatigue, and even feel nauseous. Decaffeinated coffee gives me a terrible stomach ache, and I have heard it also is not good for you, even naturally decaffeinated.

However, if it is true, if caffeine is proven to worsen PN, then I would be willing to try to slowly cut down, and possibly even completely eliminate caffeine, including other products that it is in.

I am wondering though if a once in a while a foricet pill would still be ok for my migraines, since that medication contains caffeine? This is the only medication that helps my migraines? I take one or two pills about once a month, not often.

I did a little research and saw that caffeine intake could possibly contribute to making PN worse, but it did not state why. The information did state that caffeine is a vascular constrictor. I guess that means caffeine makes blood vessels smaller right?

If that is the case, it seems caffeine would make circulation poor as well.

At any rate I am questioning if any one here knows how caffeine might contribute to making PN worse, and if eliminating caffeine can help reduce PN symptoms?

Any input would be appreciated, looking back I could not find this topic posted.

Thanks
Patty
Patricialyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-22-2009, 02:41 PM #2
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Well Patty,

I will talk for myself here...

Coffee and Chocolate make my PN bad... I mean, BAD. I know that if today I drink a cup of coffee, I will be having a nasty evening and 2 days of horror...
What I do is take them under my own risk... I mean, if I really, really need to take coffee or choco, I do, but I know I will need to stay at home for the next 3 days taking care of my symptoms...

Good luck !
BlueMajo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:01 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

maybe related to vaso constriction, maybe blood levels of sugar?
if those migraines are "about once a month" i would be checking Gyn issues..
pabb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:19 PM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricialyn View Post
Hello,

My family doctor stated I should limit my caffeine intake, stating it can worsen the PN in my feet.

I drink approximately 3 cups of coffee daily, and have to admit that I am addicted to caffeine, as well as enjoy my cups of coffee. I have tried to stop in the past, and when doing so I suffer severe migraine pain, irritability, fatigue, and even feel nauseous. Decaffeinated coffee gives me a terrible stomach ache, and I have heard it also is not good for you, even naturally decaffeinated.

However, if it is true, if caffeine is proven to worsen PN, then I would be willing to try to slowly cut down, and possibly even completely eliminate caffeine, including other products that it is in.

I am wondering though if a once in a while a foricet pill would still be ok for my migraines, since that medication contains caffeine? This is the only medication that helps my migraines? I take one or two pills about once a month, not often.

I did a little research and saw that caffeine intake could possibly contribute to making PN worse, but it did not state why. The information did state that caffeine is a vascular constrictor. I guess that means caffeine makes blood vessels smaller right?

If that is the case, it seems caffeine would make circulation poor as well.

At any rate I am questioning if any one here knows how caffeine might contribute to making PN worse, and if eliminating caffeine can help reduce PN symptoms?

Any input would be appreciated, looking back I could not find this topic posted.

Thanks
Patty
People who consume alot caffeine may be fueling migraines unwittingly. Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor and as it wears off there is the vasodilation rebound= headache for some.

Some people are just very sensitive to this. Don't be fooled by supplements with guarana in them...they are caffeine too.

If you choose to reduce your caffeine daily, do so slowly.
I'd get some coffee that is 1/2 and 1/2.
And reduce to 2.5 cups a day...for several days, then 2 cups a day and 1.5 cups a day, etc. If you use the 1/2 and 1/2 on the .5 days, it is easier for you, I think. My hubby only drinks decaf during the day because of this. He has real coffee only in the morning. I can't tolerate coffee at all....

If I have too much caffeine from my tea...then I get tense and chest tightness. I don't get headaches as a rule. But I have had neck aches from caffeine at times.

There are people who can consume enormous amounts of caffeine daily...I've seen it at work. It totally amazes me!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:49 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have not had a bad experience drinking coffee with respect to my PN, however my PN is worse at night, and having caffein later in the day isnt going to make me fall asleep any faster. If anything it will keep me up and then the stress and anxiety kick in and THAT makes my PN worse.

I drink about 3-4 cups a day, no other caffinated drinks, just coffee.
kreink is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:28 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I stopped drinking coffee for over a month to see if it would help and my PN changed not at all. I have been drinking one cup a day, now lately two cups a day. I think its like everything else with pn, what affects some people doesnt affect others at all.
echoes long ago is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:04 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have been drinking decaf for 1 yr now. I didn't stop it because of my PN, I just decided it was time for a change. I have headaches all the time, and I didn't notice any change when switching. I finished the can I had, and started decaf the next day. I never noticed a difference, and I like decaf just as well. Yeah, I'm a weird one!

A few weeks ago, I had tea with caffeine, I didn't even realize I had bought the wrong tea. I drank it for 4 days, and never noticed a difference.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:10 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thanks for your input

Hello,

Thanks everyone for you replies.

Well, I suppose I will bite the bullet and try to reduce my caffeine intake, since it just might reduce my symptoms, I won't know unless I give it a try.

I will use the suggestion that mrsD gave me, since that method sounds acceptable and hopefully the withdrawal symptoms will not be as unbearable.

In reply to my migraines, pabb, they have followed the same pattern since I have been about 25, I am now 51. I went through menopause at 45, but my migraines never really appeared to be in time with my periods, but still, hormones could somehow play a role in my migraines. My migraines come about every 5 weeks, sometimes I even go 6 - 8 weeks. The time lapse has actually increased between attacks, and since I now take a Fioricet immediately at the unset of pain, it takes the edge off the pain. The pain last approx 8 hours, treated or untreated, and then I am fine, and ready to go.

I'll let you folks know how I make out with the coffee, or should I say with out it?

Patty
Patricialyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:58 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hi there

I have no idea if caffine makes PN worse but I do know that if you want to cut down on the coffee then you need to do it very gradually over time. If you go cold turkey on it you will get withdrawal symptoms (headache, migraine etc). I don't think the cold turkey method is in any way dangerous, just very unpleasant!

I have to severely limit my coffee so I can sleep - I enjoy coffee but if I drink it everyday my sleep is all over the place so unfortunately I can't overindulge.

best of luck with it all

raglet
Raglet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:03 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Coffee seems OK per my docs

I was originally diagnosed with PN at Mayo Clinic and not one doctor there said anything about coffee or caffeine.. I continue to drink 2-3 cups a day. Rosa
rosa2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote