Sanctuary for Spiritual Support This "Sanctuary" is a place for people of all spiritual beliefs and faiths to offer support and compassion to each other in the form of prayers, meditation, and expressions of spirituality. This forum is for support, not religious debate.

advertisement

Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Purpose of life?

My dh, who is retired on disability, has recently been concerned about not knowing what his purpose is in life. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good resource, maybe a book, journal article, or biblical reference that would be helpful. Thank you so much!

HANG IN THERE!

If I had to sum up FRIENDSHIP in one word, it would be COMFORT. ~Adabella Radici

MS/dx2006
BETASERON (Quit May 2011)
COPAXONE (Began June 2011)
Friend2U is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Idealist (04-02-2009), quietone49 (03-27-2009)

advertisement
Old 03-23-2009, 11:53 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dr. Wayne Dyer

"when you are what you do, when you don't, what are you?"

I'm heading in that direction too, if not for Wayne Dyer's teachings I may be miserable too. IN the last 3 years I lost nearly everything in my life for 29 years, but I've never been happier and hopeful. Even with the MS

- DX RRMS 073102;
LarryLDN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
4boysmom (04-13-2009), BlueMajo (03-25-2009), Dejibo (03-26-2009), Friend2U (03-24-2009), Idealist (04-02-2009), Kitty (03-24-2009), quietone49 (03-24-2009), Twinkletoes (03-24-2009)
Old 03-24-2009, 02:13 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Its something that I've thought about alot since becoming ill.
Sometimes when all becomes too much and I just can't take anymore and I do wonder why.......I sometimes visit my nieces and when my gorgeous little 2.5 year old niece runs out yelling "Ahny Tate Ahny Tate(Aunty Kate)" thats one of my "purpose of life" moments, I'm also her godmother.
But I will be watching this space to see what other people have to say, it may help me. So thanks for this!!

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Groucho Marx
redtail is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Darlene (03-25-2009), Friend2U (03-24-2009), Idealist (04-02-2009), LarryLDN (03-24-2009), quietone49 (03-24-2009), Twinkletoes (03-25-2009)
Old 03-25-2009, 03:53 PM #4
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

I firmly believe our primary purpose in life is a relationship with God. When we keep that in focus, things seem to fall into place re our secondary purpose(s)

our prayers, and acts of kindness for others, are IMO the "highest calling" there can be in terms of purpose in society.

I find listening to inspirational music helps me regain my purpose focus when it gets blurry...

I know a lot of people have said good things about the book by Rick Warren "the Purpose Driven Life". it's sad that the political seemed to overshadow all that recently, but I know many have been very motivated by that book, even those who were not "religious" I dont share Warren's political views, nor does my son, but I know the book was very encouraging to him at a time when he was despondent about his future with chronic illness manifesting so young

I hope you husband will find encouragement.

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (03-28-2009), BlueMajo (03-25-2009), Darlene (03-30-2009), Dejibo (03-26-2009), Friend2U (03-26-2009), Idealist (04-02-2009), mistiis (04-02-2009), Twinkletoes (03-25-2009)
Old 03-25-2009, 06:26 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friend2U View Post
My dh, who is retired on disability, has recently been concerned about not knowing what his purpose is in life. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good resource, maybe a book, journal article, or biblical reference that would be helpful. Thank you so much!
Hello Friend2U,

I believe we are to accept God's gift of love. John 3:16 For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have eternal life. Once we have that personal relationship with God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Life's purpose becomes crystal clear.

When I went on disability 3 years ago it wasn't because of my ability it was because of my dependability. So I volunteer for 2 hours a day twice a week (as long as they are good pain days). This helps me with my need to feel I accomplished something. I also go to the YMCA twice a week to walk in the water. I have made some good friends it gets me out of the house and I get some exercise.

Take care,
Sbowling
SBOWLING is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (03-25-2009), BlueMajo (03-25-2009), Dejibo (03-26-2009), Friend2U (03-26-2009), Idealist (04-02-2009)
Old 03-25-2009, 07:07 PM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryLDN View Post
Dr. Wayne Dyer

"when you are what you do, when you don't, what are you?"

I'm heading in that direction too, if not for Wayne Dyer's teachings I may be miserable too. IN the last 3 years I lost nearly everything in my life for 29 years, but I've never been happier and hopeful. Even with the MS

Larry,
With which of his books do you think it will be better to start ? Thanks.

And Friend2U, another nice book is "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne... It has motivational messages
I feel like your dh...
BlueMajo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (03-26-2009), Idealist (04-02-2009)
Old 03-26-2009, 04:08 PM #7
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I sometimes feel when I am sitting in the corner playing the "why am I here game." its because I have become too involved in self care, and need to reach out and get busy. There are tons of ways to get out, and get involved, even in a very disabled state. Read books to the kids at a library. Read letters, or books to seniors at a center. be a volunteer grandparent at a school. work at a soup kitchen, or food bank. volunteer to help keep your local ambulance clean, or be a driver for them during the day time when most others are at work. There are so many things to do ranging from one hour a month to 20 hours a week. I feel so much better after getting up, and re connecting to my community.

There are many great books on this subject. I hope your hubby feels better soon.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BlueMajo (03-26-2009), Friend2U (03-26-2009), Idealist (04-02-2009), SBOWLING (03-26-2009)
Old 03-26-2009, 05:23 PM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemar View Post
I know a lot of people have said good things about the book by Rick Warren "the Purpose Driven Life". it's sad that the political seemed to overshadow all that recently, but I know many have been very motivated by that book, even those who were not "religious" I dont share Warren's political views, nor does my son, but I know the book was very encouraging to him at a time when he was despondent about his future with chronic illness manifesting so young.

I am reading this book now and like it very much. I'm only on chapter three but so far it's good. He suggests reading only one chapter a day (there's 40 chapters) but I cheated and kept reading!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-26-2009, 07:59 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Self awareness can be a drag.

I used to worry about this too. The BIG picture and whatnot.

For now, I think that concentrated focus on it makes you miss out on living life.

I try not to question why the tilt-a-whirl is at the carnival, I just get on it and enjoy the ride. I got plenty of time on my death bed to be bummed out with this other stuff.

But that's just me.

Always outnumbered...
Never outgunned

*I* am the MonSter that MS fears
MooseasaurusRex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-27-2009, 12:37 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thank you all SO MUCH!!!

Thank you for the wonderful ideas for resources and for all the inspirational thoughts.I appreciate you all more than you can know.

Larry-we have never read any of Dr. Dyer's books. But I'm going to look at the library for some of his works.

We really like inspirational books and have enjoyed reading several together. We like to read a chapter or two together each night until we have finished a book. It's been a while since we've done that, so I think we are past due.

Kate-you probably have hit the nail on the head. Something so simple...we are so lucky to be home with our new grandbaby while his momma goes to work. I guess it's just easy to get down in the dumps, even with such a blessing to remind us of what is really important.

Chemar-I think you are right. I am going to share what you have said with my dh. We just needed to be reminded of this. We have actually read "Purpose Driven Life" but I think we should revisit it. But I know we need to stay close to God and do his will, then he takes care of us.

Sbowling-Thank you for the words of encouragement. Yes, you are right too. We didn't make it to church Sunday. And I think we need that encouragement every week to get us through.

BlueMajo-I have heard of "The Secret". I am going to look for that book as well. Thanks.

Dejibo and Kitty, I agree it is hard to not want to read ahead. Sometimes I guess it's good to spend some time reflecting and thinking about it along the way. Thanks for your kind thoughts!

Moose-you always have a way with words, lol... I must say, I'm not much for enjoying the tilt a whirl though. I'm more for something that is more of a nice peaceful caurosel ride myself!!! But... point well taken! Thank you.

Anyway, ALL of you have been a great inspiration. I am sharing these with my hubby. I knew you would be exactly what we needed! Love you guys!

HANG IN THERE!

If I had to sum up FRIENDSHIP in one word, it would be COMFORT. ~Adabella Radici

MS/dx2006
BETASERON (Quit May 2011)
COPAXONE (Began June 2011)
Friend2U is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
BlueMajo (03-27-2009), Chemar (03-27-2009), Idealist (04-02-2009), MooseasaurusRex (03-27-2009), SBOWLING (03-27-2009)